Diving Blue Heron Bridge & the Palm Beaches

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, I do love macro, but I love the underwater creatures in all sizes and shapes. What are you likely to see at the pumphouse? BTW, could you guys come up with a better name, please? :)

We could just call it the Inlet dive....
You can see the fish you would see on the 60 foot reefs, sometimes more at the inlet dive than on 60 footers....the estuarine aspect of this dive often creates enormous schooling behaviors of many species. While we will have to get some of the "macro hunters" out on the inlet dive to see what they can find, I would expect them to find everything you would find at the bridge, as there are plenty of rubble zones contiguous to the jetty area over a half mile or so of area.
Regards,
DanV

As a reminder to BHB divers, if you are planning on going anywhere close to where people be fishing, it is worthwhile to occasionally surface briefly to check to see where people are fishing so you can avoid their lines.

The most common areas are anywhere close to either side of the fishing pier (obviously) as well as near any of the bridge footings accessible by shore, as well as along the wall on either side of the fishing pier. When the east side opens back up, generally there are people fishing on either side of the bridge.

It is easy to avoid their lines if you are courteous and look once in a while before you swim through. If you see people fishing, show some respect and give them a wide berth. There is plenty of space for everyone and plenty of things to look at, avoiding conflicts is pretty much just an issue of awareness of your surroundings.

In 35ish dives at the bridge I have never been hooked or casted at and I attribute this
to showing courtesy to the others using the park in different ways.

Forgive my ignorance however I'm trying to educate myself about the area before my first dive at BHB next week. What "wall" on either side of the fishing pier are you referring to? The channel wall? Also you say that some fish the East side however on google maps I see no pier, where do they fish from? Thanks for any info you can give!

The wall I refer to is the wall along the shore. When we are going from the mooring ball/beach area to the west span area I will surface to make sure nobody is fishing from the bridge footing at the corner or that wall. If they are we will stay further out from shore instead of cutting the corner.

On the east side they will fish from the bridge. It is simple enough to surface and check to see where they are fishing so you can swim under the bridge away from them.

Does anyone have a drawing or map of the underwater layout and where to locate the must see spots at BHB?

After my first dive ever at BHB I found that if I would have had a reference map it would have helped in orienting myself.

(sorry if this is posted elsewhere but I was unable to find it.)

Does anyone have a drawing or map of the underwater layout and where to locate the must see spots at BHB?

After my first dive ever at BHB I found that if I would have had a reference map it would have helped in orienting myself.

(sorry if this is posted elsewhere but I was unable to find it.)

The guys at Force E (just west of the bridge) can give you a good briefing.

Sounds like a DM project!

That sounds like a great idea!
If I go all out OCD I bet I can even have it with precise measurements of distance/directions & headings.

This will be my project next time I go down there.

This site is pretty helpful

East vs. West

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom