Diving Blue Heron Bridge & the Palm Beaches

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am going to take a trip to BHB Saturday afternoon, it has been a while since I have been on this site, how is the bridge construction affecting the dive? Do you guy have new favorite places to explore now that the construction is ongoing?

Sorrows, if you'd like to check some of the photos and videos I took, please check here West Palm Beach, September 2010 - a set on Flickr
I probably will add more stuff to this set. BTW, we saw 1 lionfish on boatdives but none near BHB. Maybe the current drags them away? They do not look like good swimmers.

*Loved* the slideshow! Had no *idea* that bristleworms moved like that.

Kevin

*Loved* the slideshow! Had no *idea* that bristleworms moved like that.

Kevin

BTW, finally had my first experience diving the bridge last month. Was most pleasantly surprised. Had feared that the "time window" for diving the site was too short to make it worth the "trouble". Thanks to a problem with a camera battery, I ended up spending three hours at the site. After re-reading the "Wade's Site" page mentioned earlier, I see that it is primarily "under the bridges" where the current is an issue. I ended up spending most of my bottom time out in front of the sailboat entry ramp at the "west" site. The current there was completely acceptable for photography for the duration of the dives, and the same with the visibility. And, compared to the "trouble" with parking for LBTS, where I made five trips this summer, the parking "trouble" is non-existent. :) There seems to be no hope that I'll ever gain the self-discipline to weed out the "non-keepers" from my photo sets.
Blue Heron Bridge Sept 2010 - a set on Flickr Looks like I now must start my research on this "jetty" dive I've just learned about in this thread. . . Thanks to all for sharing all the fine info here.

Kevin
Savannah

Does anyone have a drawing or map of the underwater layout and where to locate the must see spots at BHB?

After my first dive ever at BHB I found that if I would have had a reference map it would have helped in orienting myself.

(sorry if this is posted elsewhere but I was unable to find it.)

Force E Dive shop had a hand drawn map they were giving out.

Safe Dicing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, I remember that beach from last year when we dove the side of the bridge that is now closed. But no, I don't believe we were near a sailboat ramp--I'm quite familiar with those and I don't see how anyone could back up a trailer and launch a boat where we were--not enough clearance.
The area is actually designated as a "non-motorized" launch area. It is the open section just before the sea wall on the west span.

And these fisherman were not on a pier, they were on the beachy area near the playground. There were families swimming there. I was actually more concerned for them than for myself--I, at least, was wearing a wetsuit. I got hooked when I stood up to get out of the water. What if that hook had found the toddler instead?
Yes, the area between the playground and the water is a popular area for families to enjoy the beach, but it is not the designated swimming area. The designated swimming area is further east and clearly marked by buoys and the Life Guard station.

All areas outside the marked swimming area are available to boaters, divers and fishermen.

Look, I respect that you are trying to play peacemaker here, but I cannot see how anyone could condone fishing that close to where people are swimming.
Condone or not, the law is the law and fishermen have as much right to fish the area as we have to swim, dive or boat in the area

From reading the above comments, I'm guessing that the fishing community has more political pull than the diving one? That's unfortunate. I've heard there is a movement afoot to have the area declared some sort of underwater park or preserve. I wish them the best of luck--I really feel that BHB is a very special place.
The fishing community around the world has a much bigger political pull than the diving community. That is a fact. But, I don't think it has much to do with this issue...

BHB is already an underwater park. As such, harvesting of restricted fish, creatures and other underwater collecting is prohibited by law. It is unfortunate that the wording of the law covering BHB is toothless unless FWC observes the action itself:

jamminbeach.com:
No Take Zone Ordinance Amendment

Palm Beach County Governmental Center
301 N. Olive Avenue, 6th Floor
West Palm Beach, FL 33401

Palm Beach County Commissioners are improving the ability of law enforcement to enforce the No Take Zone Ordinance at Blue Heron Bridge by updating the ordinance’s wording.

Current wording has been found difficult by law enforcement to enforce where the words “The Collection of Tropical Fish (by any means) is prohibited” leaves law enforcement at a loss to enforce unless the officer is witness to “Collection” personally. The wording will change “Collection” to “Posession”, which will allow law enforcement to witness the “Posession” personally.

This item will most likely come to the County Commission for first reading on April 20, 2010.

A second and final reading of the ordinance changes will occur the following month.

NOTE: This was tabled at the April meeting and has not returned since

Fishing is allowed in many underwater marine park areas around the world as long as the same laws are followed... No harvesting of restricted fish, creatures and other underwater collecting is prohibited.

I hope this clears up some of the misunderstanding about swimming, boating, fishing, diving and BHB as a underwater park... Well, that was the reason for the post anyway :wink:

Thanks Jim.

And you are correct.
"The fishing community around the world has a much bigger political pull than the diving community. That is a fact. But, I don't think it has much to do with this issue..."
Not political at all. I was an exec with Palm Beach County Facilities Development and Operations and worked with Palm Beach County Parks and Recreation for nine years. In fact I was Project Manager during development of the Construction Documents for the rehab of the park.

The only way it would become political is if divers were to become overly abusive of the fishermen. The non coastal areas of Riviera Beach are some of the most depressed in an other wise affluent area. Many of the fishermen are there not for sport, but to bring home dinner.

hope this is the right forum to ask this but I kind of needed some quick info. Dave and i are planning on driving down there for the night dive with Eforce on Friday night (already registered). Now wondering if it's going to be worth the drive (aprox 7 hours). I checked weather and forcast was lots of rain for today down there and I've heard Viz wasn't that great after lots of rain. Actually we were going to head that way today to try to dive in the morning as well as the night dive and Saturday am.

So wondering what the "experts" think of conditions for the next few days before we start on that road trip

I checked weather and forcast was lots of rain for today down there and I've heard Viz wasn't that great after lots of rain.

Lisa, sometimes it seems that rain and winds can affect visibility and then at
other times it seems like not so much. Just last weekend saturday was a banner day
at the bridge with viz in the 30ft range and then the following day I was told it dropped
down to 10-15ft with no obvious weather changes ? I was told that there was some dredging
being done at the inlet and it was causing some poor visibility during the week when they
were dredging, not sure if this is still going on.

Thank you, Cooltech, for honestly trying to clear up this misunderstanding and for providing the useful information. Unfortunately, it is posted on an obscure thread in a dive-specific website and not (unless I missed it?) posted where I saw the father and child swimming and the group of teenaged divers preparing to enter the water.

Yes, of course, I realize that it is up to the swimmers and divers to know the laws and rules. But I am not sure that the fisherman would find that comforting if he had accidentally hooked a toddler. I guess a diver in a wetsuit--whatever age or gender--is fair game.
:cheeky:

BTW, the swimmers were visiting from New Jersey; we are from D.C., spending our tourist dollars at local businesses, restaurants, hotels, and doing our best to help the depressed economy and provide the county with an important source of tax revenue. I've encouraged every diver I know/have met to try the BHB and even took the time to write a very detailed report about it. So I really think I am doing my part to help! :biggrin:

Lisa:

There is a thread called "the continuing sagas of the Blue Heron Bridge" here. You will get many more hits and much more information. Lot's of the local regulars including Cooltech.

hope this is the right forum to ask this but I kind of needed some quick info. Dave and i are planning on driving down there for the night dive with Eforce on Friday night (already registered). Now wondering if it's going to be worth the drive (aprox 7 hours). I checked weather and forcast was lots of rain for today down there and I've heard Viz wasn't that great after lots of rain. Actually we were going to head that way today to try to dive in the morning as well as the night dive and Saturday am.

So wondering what the "experts" think of conditions for the next few days before we start on that road trip

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom