Diving and the weather

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

the boat pushed back the morning dive time because of "high" winds early in the morning, then combined the afternoon and morning trip and apparently the dive shop with the boat has their own students, which filled the boat. spent the rest of the day fuming mad

This is a fun thing, this diving. One thing you need to know is that things don't always go your way, just like in life. Sometimes weather sucks, sometimes vis sucks, sometimes both. Sometimes the boat is late, sometimes you drop your weights and can't make the second dive. Sometimes you are short filled, sometimes there aren't any grouper. Sometimes you miss the wreck, and you know you aren't going to get another drop, because you're at 200 feet and you just can't get back to the surface in time.sometimes everyone else on the boat screws up, and the divemaster fusses at you, too.

These things are all things to understand and go with the flow with. So, you didn't finish your class, so you will this week or next. You aren't hurting anyone by threatening to sell your gear but yourself. I know it can be dissapointing when you don't get your way, but that happens sometimes. Your instructor wants to finish your course as badly as you want to finish it. He isn't teaching anyone else when he isn't teaching you.

But when it's good, it's really really good. It's worth it to me to enjoy the great days. YMMV.

You aren't hurting anyone by threatening to sell your gear but yourself. I know it can be dissapointing when you don't get your way, but that happens sometimes.

I understand things will go wrong, as they always do. What I am trying to figure out is if things go wrong more often than right. Like I said, every time I've been in the water, I've loved it. I'm in love with Cozumel, and I've only been there a few times as a snorkeler (apparently being in love with Cozumel is very common on the boards)!

I understand I'm a part of the foolish minority that gets ahead of themselves and buys everything before they are even certified. I did this because I assumed that I could make this a common thing since like someone else said, I'm in a great dive location. I'm not threatening to sell my gear, I'm considering abandoning this as a serious hobby (I take my hobbies very seriously). No point in having expensive gear if it's not something you want to do often.

The entire point about OP was wondering if I should expect gobs of frustration due the weather, because if so, maybe I should take up something with less frustration ... I'd suggest underwater basket weaving, but that might be affected equally.

Still keeping my fingers crossed for this weekend.

Last edited:
I need to echo wookie's comments above...

we dive in an environment governed by nature... couple that with our own human limitiations and we wont be able to have it our way all the time... however... the times that we do have it our way is worth all the wait and all the other minor disappointments...

in other words.. don't frustrate yourself over it... just be patient and take what you get.. dont force it

and keep in mind.. you are still a student, governed by your instructor... the conditions that prevent you from diving now, probably wont prevent you from diving after you're certified and have some experience

Jazzy,
The weather was pretty bad the past few weeks. However it is finally getting better. I was able to get on Sunday morning with aquatic explorers on Key Biscayne. The seas were about 2 feet and the viz was good. Good luck with your certification. Do you have a private instructor or is it with a shop?

The entire point about OP was wondering if I should expect gobs of frustration due the weather, because if so, maybe I should take up something with less frustration ... I'd suggest underwater basket weaving, but that might be affected equally.

Gobs of frustration? No. Occasional frustration? Yup. More now than in the future because, as Phoenix31tt said, your diving is right now limited by the boat's and your instructor's schedule. Soon, if you don't like the weather forecast in Florida, go to Bimini. When it's rough in Boynton, go to Key Largo. You will be limited only by your wallet and imagination.

I bought my gear long before I was certified, because as soon as I saw that coral in the South Pacific, I was hooked, and blessed to live there. I had no reason to dive in Maine, even though I grew up on the water. People don't really get in that cold stuff, do they?

My wife and I started our certification process a month and a half ago. We're still not certified. The only thing we're missing are our last two dives, but those have been put off three weekends now. Even our first dives were in slightly choppy seas. After having spent thousands of dollars in equipment that we were too excited to wait to buy, I'm starting to loathe the sport. Don't get me wrong, I love the water, and I loved our first two dives, and I can't wait to do it again. But if we have our dives put off one more week, I'm seriously going to go ape s*** on someone. Some might say I already have.

Anyways, how often does the weather in Florida ruin your dives? Luckily it shouldn't be too hard to find buyers for brand new, never been in the water scuba equipment.

I don't know. Sounds like this scuba thing may not be for you.

What kinda gear ya got? :D

I understand things will go wrong, as they always do. What I am trying to figure out is if things go wrong more often than right. Like I said, every time I've been in the water, I've loved it. I'm in love with Cozumel, and I've only been there a few times as a snorkeler (apparently being in love with Cozumel is very common on the boards)!

I understand I'm a part of the foolish minority that gets ahead of themselves and buys everything before they are even certified. I did this because I assumed that I could make this a common thing since like someone else said, I'm in a great dive location. I'm not threatening to sell my gear, I'm considering abandoning this as a serious hobby (I take my hobbies very seriously). No point in having expensive gear if it's not something you want to do often.

FWIW, I've "only" done about 60 dives in the past year. Most of them are beach dives, where the conditions have to be even better than for boat diving. Hold on.. chill out, relax. The weather will improve. :) LOVE Summer diving.

Just wait until you've booked a dive vacation (potentially thousands of dollars), arranged to take time off from work, waited for months for departure day, and found that the weather has messed with your plans. I don't dive locally where I live, so every dive trip I take is a gamble on the weather. Sometimes, a three-day trip has to be canceled entirely, or out of a five day trip only three days are diveable, and sometimes there are costs that I do not get refunded. You're at least fortunate to live in Miami where you don't need to commit far in advance, book air travel, etc.

I went down to Lauderdale in March to get my C-card. Scheduled to dive on a Saturday and Sunday. Weather delayed that until a Tuesday and Wednesday. I wasn't able to dive nearly as much as I had wanted to.

The weather does is it wants to. you just have to live with that sometimes.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4 Beta

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom