Diving and the weather

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aside from working to pay the bills....

When I have time and money I boat dive.

When I have time and no money, I beach dive (sometimes with Jenny - and other folks). What I love is the most expensive part of a beach dive is usually the airfill.

When the water's too rough but the sky is clear, I golf, bike, fish, or go to the range and shoot.

When there's no time or money, and it's raining and too rough and windy...I'm online in here...

When there's no time or money, and it's raining, too rough or windy, and my Internet's down, I take a nap.

Always have a backup plan.

Last edited:
. . . I'm in love with Cozumel, and I've only been there a few times as a snorkeler (apparently being in love with Cozumel is very common on the boards)!

My husband and I spent a large sum on a Cozumel trip this past winter. We arrived at about the same moment the Norte did. The bad: We got only 2 dives in during our 5 days there. The good: We went to the mainland and did a bus trip to Chichen Itza! That's something I never would have done, if the weather was cooperating! We completed the book work for our Rescue class that was coming up about 3 weeks later. We had romantic dinners and walked around town in the rain and wind. Poop happens. For me, it is about my attitude towards life. Even in Cozumel the weather can be iffy when I want it to be swell! I live in S FL and have about 300 or more dives locally in the last 5 years.

P.S. I am jonesing! I haven't been underwater since getting off the Spree about 2 weeks ago! Maybe this weekend?

Don't give up. your almost there. Get those last dives in. I am a new diver and love it to death. I went almost a month after my Cert. dives before I had spare time and decent weather match up for a beach dive. I even did a solo dive and used it as an educational experience. Anyway, once you get your OW, you are the one that decides whether or not you accept the conditions available. I did 2 dives that day. The first was awesome and the water was very clear allowing me to focus on my gear set up and develope some good habits. The second dive was so so at best. Dont get me wrong, it was a blast but the water conditions had deteriorated quite substantially. Only 30 minutes between dives saw visibility go from 15' plus to less than 5'. I used that dive to work on my navigation under water and play with some fish. Stick with it, great times ahead and since you have your gear, cheap dives ahead to if you beach dive. The only thing I regret about this hobby is that I didn't get certified years ago.

Hi Jazzy welcome to our little club.

In direct answer to the original question, about 5-10% of the time would be my best guess. I too am limited to weekend diving.

thanks for all the responses. i'm sure eventually this crappy weather will clear up and it'll happen. i've resigned myself to the fact that this might not be for a while, but nothing I can do about it. the good news is that the wind makes for great (albeit painful) triathlon training on the weekends

Hey - in the first post, it sez "thousands of dollars worth of equipment". I sure hope that you bought wisely.

Hey - in the first post, it sez "thousands of dollars worth of equipment". I sure hope that you bought wisely.

My setup:

Scubapro MK25/S600 with R095 octo (got last year's for less on clearance)
Aqualung Balance BC
Oceanic VT4.1 with transmitter

Wife's setup:

Aqualung Legend with Apeks ABS Octo
Aqualung Pearl BC
Borrowed SPG from dive shop while we wait for her Oceanic OCI

I am diving in Jupiter Friday Scuba Works . Got a good price if interested 4 spots open ...........

My setup:

Scubapro MK25/S600 with R095 octo (got last year's for less on clearance)
Aqualung Balance BC
Oceanic VT4.1 with transmitter

Wife's setup:

Aqualung Legend with Apeks ABS Octo
Aqualung Pearl BC
Borrowed SPG from dive shop while we wait for her Oceanic OCI
ok.. thanks...tom

Had my own taste of it today. Took my two daughters and GF to south florida diving for nursery snorkel this afternoon. 2.5 hour drive. operator said weather would be bad and viz sucked so boat not going out. Said I could dive but I had no gear and 2 non divers so lunch then back home another 2.5 hours... Mostly wasted day.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom