Diving and the weather

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Had my own taste of it today. Took my two daughters and GF to south florida diving for nursery snorkel this afternoon. 2.5 hour drive. operator said weather would be bad and viz sucked so boat not going out. Said I could dive but I had no gear and 2 non divers so lunch then back home another 2.5 hours... Mostly wasted day.

Rainpocalypse takes another victim :(

I was under the impression that this has been an unusually crappy summer for diving, but I thought it might just be my lack of long-time experience with diving at the end of the road. I ran into Nick, the owner of Lost Reef Adventures, in line at the grocery store last night. He's been doing this for decades. One of the things he said was "sure wish summer would get here".

Hang in there, it's bound to get better.

We seem to get a lot of rain here June/July and storms that mess up vis and make the seas rough. This year has been much worse than last year when you think bout it. July last year I was out 3-4 times a week cause it was great weather but all this rain recently has really messed stuff up (cept for last weekend it was perfect out) but dont worry once these storms blow out and hopefully no hurricanes come thru seas will calm down and you'll have some awesome dives. You said you're from miami so its only like a 45min-1hr drive to key largo which has some of the best reefs around and Jupiter is only a couple hrs away which has great marine life. I'd say dont sell your gear tough it out get certified then you can go anywhere you want and dive, sometimes a bad day in miami doesnt mean a bad day in all south florida.

I've only dived about 20 times all in central and south Florida and only have had a dive canceled once in key largo but was able to dive the following 3 days of the trip.
My philosophy on diving is that it should be fun, if you have a miserable and dangerous boat ride, your dive will be miserable and dangerous, this can cause a diver (specially a brand new one) to dislike the sport due to a bad first experience. I'd like to think many boat captains share that philosophy.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

I've only dived about 20 times all in central and south Florida and only have had a dive canceled once in key largo but was able to dive the following 3 days of the trip.
My philosophy on diving is that it should be fun, if you have a miserable and dangerous boat ride, your dive will be miserable and dangerous, this can cause a diver (specially a brand new one) to dislike the sport due to a bad first experience. I'd like to think many boat captains share that philosophy.

Miserable and dangerous boat ride? Not good. But if safety is not an issue, keep in mind that conditions at the surface do not always translate to conditions under the waves. I have been out when the seas were like glass but current whipping at depth and vice versa, significant wave action at surface and calm seas below. I am aware how very fortunate I am that seasickness has never been an issue. For me, it's more the challenge of boarding the boat at the end of the dive in rough seas.

Miserable and dangerous boat ride? Not good. But if safety is not an issue, keep in mind that conditions at the surface do not always translate to conditions under the waves. I have been out when the seas were like glass but current whipping at depth and vice versa, significant wave action at surface and calm seas below. I am aware how very fortunate I am that seasickness has never been an issue. For me, it's more the challenge of boarding the boat at the end of the dive in rough seas.

I was referring to just the boat ride, I don't get sea sick but walking on the deck of a rocking boat with full gear before and after a dive seems dangerous.
My point is, don't let a bad first experience turn you away from diving.

see jazzy............hope your feeling better with some nitrogen in your bloodstream... lobster season starts tonight at 12:01.

Last edited:
Things are looking better. Two beach dives in Lauderdale yesterday - one at 5 and the other at 7:30...lots of cool stuff to see. Temps a little cool for this time of year but viz about 30 plus and improving with very little current.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom