Diving and Exercise+

Diving and Exercise... which best describes you?

• I go diving and any exercise is incidental

Votes: 16 21.3%
  • I dive for the exercise, heck it's better than sitting around... right?

Votes: 6 8.0%
  • I generally exercise, but any benefits I get for my diving are incidental

Votes: 26 34.7%
  • I generally target my exercise (aerobic or strength) towards diving

Votes: 18 24.0%
  • I specifically target my exercise (aerobic or strength) towards my diving

Votes: 6 8.0%
  • Who cares??? Nobody really thinks about this stuff... right??

Votes: 3 4.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I generally try to maintain a minimum level of exercise per week. In reality this is usually below what it should be, but it is much better than nothing.

I also include a few modifications to my exercise routine in order to benefit whatever sports I practice, such as snow skiing and scuba diving. Nothing major, just a few exercises with an emphasis on stretching or building certain muscles, etc. can have a pretty good impact.

I've read that a fairly slow scuba diving swimming pace is comparable to running at a fairly fast pace. How many people, especially older ones who don't exercise can maintain this pace without overexerting themselves?

I was sickly as a child and seldom participated in sports. As an adult, I've tried to stay as active as possible.

There is a definite satisfaction to the discipline of training and seeing what levels of performance I can get from my body. In the past, I've done triathlons, 100-mile bike races, 10K/15K road races.

Now that my knees are starting to be high-mileage, I mostly cycle and swim for exercise (2000 yards is a typical workout) and usually end my pool sessions by doing breath-hold swimming for up to 50 yards. I do that as a way to condition myself to be able to make an ESA from depth.

The majority of exercise related to diving is from carrying the equipment around...you can burn quite a few calories doing 5 dives per day tho...just watch me eat on a liveaboard..

cyklon_300 once bubbled...
I was sickly as a child and seldom participated in sports. As an adult, I've tried to stay as active as possible. ......... what levels of performance I can get from my body. In the past, I've done triathlons, 100-mile bike races, 10K/15K road races.
Was it Massey that said that; "the things that are important to you as an adult, are the things that you did not have as a child?"

I dive for fun. I ride a road bike for exercise and fun. I believe these activities complement each other well.=-)

Just on a side note. I am on WeightWatchers right now and you get more activity points for diving than most any other exercise. Now that I am not diving as much I have to find some other way to get some credit racked up.

Chad

cyklon_300 once bubbled...

Now that my knees are starting to be high-mileage,

My knees can take me phenomenal distances after 10 pints of beer. It comes from being so drunk that no taxi driver will let me in the cab in such a state.
As a consequence I take the long way home -6 miles as the crow flies (sober) but 15 miles bumping off buildings and wandering into the wrong housing estates.
:bonk:
I think (seriously) that diving is 50% training the mind and 5% looking after the body.
The other 45% is looking good!. Gul do a new range of wet suits that hold in that beer gut and squeeze those toxins out of my liver. I also use less mask strap around my brain.
:wink:
Show us a picture of this body of yours -and I'll point out where you are going wrong!

:D

Phil TK

I read the DAN article about the risk of heart attack in divers over forty and being 38 I decided that an exercise program was in order. I've been hitting the gym and hope to see drop in air consumption and a better dive experience in January (Cayman Brac).

I agree with Tim at 40 its time to get in shape by getting off your ars and exorcissing, you'll feel much better in the long run and will be able to handle the physical stress of diving more efficently.

Ummm... UK divers,
Being one my self i am a member of a active club in london it is a distance to get near open waters so when i do i optomise the situation but people/members with more experiece than me see it as a club for a piss up before and after,maybe the british way!! but me i want to dive and get the best i can from each one may be because i am still new to diving and is yet to find comfort in uk waters BUT i am an owner of night clubs and bars for the last 14 years and i can say if this is the way you treat diving then you should join a social club and just get drunk as it would save money on our emergency services pulling you out of the water being dehydratedwith DCI.I am no angel but i take my life a bit more serious i see seriously fat blokes diving all the time ,,,,why they can hadley fit in to there dry suits (mtm) spend 15 minutes at depth and then say where is the nearest pub. i was a member of a club who actually had a sign for underwater"f**k this beer and pizza now" i personally belive uk waters to be some of the the most tacking in the world as commercial divers come from arond the world to train here for offshore oil rigs.But hey phil is this all that it means to you .............
Dorry and stoney have taken too many ......

MAL..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom