Diving and Exercise+

Diving and Exercise... which best describes you?

• I go diving and any exercise is incidental

Votes: 16 21.3%
  • I dive for the exercise, heck it's better than sitting around... right?

Votes: 6 8.0%
  • I generally exercise, but any benefits I get for my diving are incidental

Votes: 26 34.7%
  • I generally target my exercise (aerobic or strength) towards diving

Votes: 18 24.0%
  • I specifically target my exercise (aerobic or strength) towards my diving

Votes: 6 8.0%
  • Who cares??? Nobody really thinks about this stuff... right??

Votes: 3 4.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My primary exercise for the past 2+ years has been swimming, and the fact that it may help in my diving is just a bonus.

Used to run, but my knees started to hurt and I hate the feeling of sweating. Swimming is a great alternative excercise for me.

Hey Phil TK

Spoken like a true Essex man!

However, I was never a volume man (as in mumber of pints) and as I get older I find regular exercise other than of the raising the right arm variety good for both the body and the soul. It must help with my diving but that's not my motivation. I jst see too many men my age (49) looking old before their time and I've no wish to join them.

Regards

I was concerned to learn at a recent medical diving conference that it is believed that diving in and of itself doesn't contribute to your aerobic capacity which is critical to your long term diving capability. Strength and endurance are also good but it was reinforced that divers need to complement their diving with aerobic exercise...

Dear Readers:

There is now definite laboratory evidence that being a good shape is definitely an advantage when it comes to decompression. While this has been suspected for decades, proof was lacking. The references are below for those interested.

Carturan D, Boussuges A, et al. Ascent rate, age, maximal oxygen uptake, adiposity, and circulating venous bubbles after diving. J Appl Physiol 2002 Oct;93(4):1349-56

Wisloff U, Brubakk AO. Aerobic endurance training reduces bubble formation and increases survival in rats exposed to hyperbaric pressure. J Physiol 2001 Dec 1;537(Pt 2):607-11

Boussuges A, Carturan D, et al.Decompression induced venous gas emboli in sport diving: detection with 2D echocardiography and pulsed Doppler. Int J Sports Med 1998 Jan;19(1):7-11

Dr Deco :doctor:

always been active but since going to college i have gained a few 10's lbs (around 35).

now i tried to exercise at least 4 times a week

Even if "fitness is no advantage when it comes to decompression" I can think of a lot of situations where it might be important to be in good shape e.g. towing a diver at the surface after an accident, current, being able to run to the next phone...

Back
Top Bottom