Exercise after diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubajunky17

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
HI All,
I have always done some pullups or dips whilst on diving holidays as I am a bit of a fitness fanatic.
Is this a safe thing to do ?
Is it safe to keep exercising as you dive ?
Thanks in advance.

Really, do you say that with authority ? I appreciate you getting back.

Thanks for that, I am off on holiday next week and will do a max of two dives a day to a max of 30m ish. So I am best waiting until my off day until I train I think. Have to stop myself from doing the odd set of pullups here and there.

Many years ago I was on a university dive trip, there were 4 guys on the trip who were beginner divers and the type who lived in the gym with big muscles. All 4 were buddies and always dove together with almost the same profile. Dive Profiles were beginner diver profile, depth less than 18 meters and time was controlled by the divemaster. Two of these guys stopped training while on this dive vacation when the other two found a gym in the area and continued to go to the gym to lift weights in the afternoons after the dives. They were exercising for few hours each time they were at the gym. Halfway through the week, the two buddies who were going to the gym came down with DCS symptoms and were transported to the chamber. They had to be treated for DCS in the chamber. I don't recall how many times they had to go in the chamber but I don't think it was a severe hit fortunately. The other two with the same dive profile but didn't exercise didn't have any issues at all. All 4 were examined for DCS symptoms at the beginning but only the two who were going to the gym were hit and had to be treated.

You make your decision.

Appreciate your input, thank you.
I wouldn't be doing anything like that.
Few sets of pull ups or dips about 6hrs after a dive is all I would do. I will refrain.
Thanks

This is excellent scientific support for divers to have a shore or boat based scuba squire.

If doing multiple dives/day over consecutive days or provocative profiles (or both) recommend not lifting (heavy) and instead swimming laps or biking or some other exercise where stress loading on joints and tendons is less. The issue alluded to in the DAN article is tribonucleation or the creation of micro bubbles through the shear forces on muscles and tendons by lifting heavy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom