Exercise after diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeah- all true - it's been discussed/ covered a few times on this board, use the search function for more data.

Unless you do massive deco dives, I doubt that some exercise after diving will have significant negative consequences (i.e., complications to your post-dive off-gassing). I regularly train after diving except if I am doing 30+ min deco dives or exit the water with SurfGF higher than 70.

If doing multiple dives/day over consecutive days or provocative profiles (or both) recommend not lifting (heavy) and instead swimming laps or biking or some other exercise where stress loading on joints and tendons is less. The issue alluded to in the DAN article is tribonucleation or the creation of micro bubbles through the shear forces on muscles and tendons by lifting heavy.
And, the formation of micronuclei/microparticles.

The other piece to this that if there's a heavy post-dive venous bubble load, straining could cause some otherwise asymptomatic venous gas emboli to arterialize through a shunt.

Best regards,
DDM

And, the formation of micronuclei/microparticles.

The other piece to this that if there's a heavy post-dive venous bubble load, straining could cause some otherwise asymptomatic venous gas emboli to arterialize through a shunt.

Best regards,
DDM

Are you confirming that exercise after diving is a bad idea?

Are you confirming that exercise after diving is a bad idea?
No, I would not make that broad a statement.

Best regards,
DDM

I don't haul anything heavy after diving. Usually, it means I'll surface with my unit (CCR) and leave bailouts in the water, then pick up the bailouts later. I do, however, stretch in the morning before dives.

If doing multiple dives/day over consecutive days or provocative profiles (or both) recommend not lifting (heavy) and instead swimming laps or biking or some other exercise where stress loading on joints and tendons is less. The issue alluded to in the DAN article is tribonucleation or the creation of micro bubbles through the shear forces on muscles and tendons by lifting heavy.
So I would be OK going on a moderate road bike ride less than 40 miles or a yoga class after a dive but don’t do HIIT/CrossFit or anything intense?

A guide in my local dive shop hits the gym right after work and never got bent yet. I prefer to wait at least 18 hours, and even then I notice I am weaker than on regular days when I don't dive for a while. If you are doing shallow dives it should not be an issue. If it is multiple dives beyond 140 feet, I would avoid the gym and get some good sleep instead.

So I would be OK going on a moderate road bike ride less than 40 miles or a yoga class after a dive but don’t do HIIT/CrossFit or anything intense?

Probably. It would depend on your dives and your physiology. As DDM mentioned, straining post dive can precipitate existing VGE transit across a PFO or septal shunt. VGE in the arterial side is no bueno.

The current DAN recommendation is 18-24 hours depending on which flavor of DAN.

If a single dive was mellow and the exercise low intensity started say, two hours post dive, I would not worry. But that’s me. I do not have a PFO and have never been bent even after aggressive decos. Doesn’t mean it can’t happen. Just a matter of “calculated” risk. I might Doppler myself first just to be sure I was clean. Even on heavy deco dives I’m generally clean after 90 minutes-hence the two hour recommendation. Personally, I would not exercise more intensely than stretching or swimming for at least 12 hours after a big dive or long series of dives. I have found that weight lifting after a day of heavy deco can make my tendons sore (wrists, medial epicondolitus), but that could be related to having lifted a lot of gear the day before.

Back
Top Bottom