Diving And Dating!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

& given the male diving population is larger than the female diving population that must make my batting average.... sad. Oh I soooo don't want to calculate that one out given my years of diving.

But then, I can usually be assured a wonderfully relaxing back massage!

Paula

...I've also came to realize that not a lot of people know how to swim either. So that puts diving out of the picture for them.

Welp, the best bet of meeting that special someone is perhaps meeting someone while at a LDS, at the dive site while prepping for the dive, or a dive club, or something like that.

Joey

You've got it... dive club buddies = massages. & the wives / sig. others of the attached ones know me so it's ok.

Paula

Aaaaahh.. to have a girlfriend that loved to do at least one or two of the things I do as much as I do. The ones I have had took no interest in the scuba, mountain biking, motorcycles, or anything else. There was this one that liked to fish, but her idea of fishing and mine where two different things... long story.

I am getting to the point where I might go get a blow up doll and take her along on my dives.... of course I would have to weight the hell out of her and make sure she doesnt totally compress to a plastic raisin at 80ft... however it would be funny if she slipped out of her BC at depth and shot up... I'd bet she would get like 15 feet of air when she hit the surface. Hmmm... theres also the danger of her exploding underwater if she got snagged on a part of a wreck or some coral..... I better re-think this one...heh heh (BTW - I am kidding about all of this.... I will never get that desperate... I hope ):blush: :eek:ut:

I see you are another fellow Michigan diver diver_paula :D

scuba_junkie once bubbled...
I am getting to the point where I might go get a blow up doll and take her along on my dives....

:rofL: .... what a wonderful mental image, of a pneumatically proportioned blow up doll shrinking and expanding as her dive buddy takes her to places she's never been before =-x.

Thanks for that one s_j :)

BTW - any good recommendations for backpacks that will take a set of scuba gear (minus tanks but including fins) and stay reasonably compact - I don't have a car, and getting to dive sites & courses on the motorbike would be easier than relying on trains around here.

I cant remember what brand mine is... but it is basically a heavy duty mesh/vinyl/nylon duffel back with shoulder straps. I can put every ounce of my dive gear in it (minus the tanks), as well as a big towel, and a few other items (camera, etc.). The mesh part allows ventilation for the wet stuff after a dive, and its made to withstand the amount of wear & tear that diving submits it to. I have been very happy with mine so far. The straps are padded enough so they dont dig into your shoulders, but I dont know if I would want to hike any great distance (more than a couple miles).

I will have to look around and see if I can find a link or more info.

It's great having an SO that dives. Even better for us because we were married almost 25 years when we took our OW class together in our early 40's. We've seen alot of relationship dynamics related to scuba, from 'great, it's changed our lives' to wives/husbands making their husbands/wives 'pay' for every minute they spend diving to divorce.

Over the years of divemastering, we've seen the SO/GF/BF of divers go through OW class just because their mate wanted them to. Needless to say they make sorry students and sorrier divers. We've seen some, both male and female, who do alright in class but who definately will be nothing more than a clear water vacation diver. But the best relationship I've seen is one we had a few weeks ago. A woman and her BF. She signed them up for class and he reluctantly agreed. She was definately the gung ho one here, trying hard and coming along fine. He on the other hand, handled the academics in a breeze and was the best student in the water...and he didn't like it. He told us after the last dive that this would be something he did only on vacation in clear blue water and very little of it then. BUT he was excited about her enjoyment of diving. He's volunteered to be the 'Camp Dad' whenever we do local dives, he just wants to be involved in any way he can as long as it doesn't involve getting geared up and in the water. He got my respect for being open minded and giving it an honest try. That's all you can ask for.

As I said, I'm lucky to have my diving buddy/spouse. But I think if I was single and looking, it would be almost as nice to have someone like this fellow who was totally supportive of my diving.

I wish all you single divers all the luck!

If someone (SO/GF/BF) gives (insert your favorite hobby here) an honest try, but just doesnt get into it and is honest about that fact, thats fine. But as long as that person understands that you still plan on pursuing the hobby and he/she doesnt hold that against you. That is where trouble usually pops up in my experience. I dont like to feel guilty about doing the things I love, and would never make someone else feel that way just because they where spending time pusuing something I didnt enjoy.

BTW - clootie... here is a link to the backpack I mentioned a few posts ago.. Stahlsac Mesh Backpack

Dive safe!
:snorkel:

Clootie,

A couple of the guys in my SCUBA club take all their gear and tanks for a weekend by towing a little trailer with their motorcycles. Just a thought.

Paula

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom