Diving & Alcohol

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Like much in life a bright line rule is imposed to "protect" all of us from ourselves and each other. Having said that I have found memories of enjoying an ice cold small 8oz Tuborg beer offered by my GC DM in the 70's during the SI. (Don't ask as I won't tell). So maybe it has not always been such a bright line rule. :)

I remember being told that some medicines would have differing effects on diver at different depths and “consult a Dr“ about potential effects of diving on drugs. It was 1980 NAUI and it may have been the instructor CYA time filler. Implicit was that alcohol between dives was a no-no.

I do remember being handed a beer motoring in on a pretty regular basis.

I only go back to the 60s with respect to diving but it was a rule I was told and followed religiously. Didn't really need any historic examples to instill that, it just seemed like common sense.

Didn't really need any historic examples to instill that, it just seemed like common sense.

True. If only we could teach common sense and make it a prerequisite for Scuba school. Come to think of it, the absence of common sense was a major factor in my acceptance to Navy diving school. The written proof was evidenced in the request chit. :)

It is just common sense. You don't want to be doing something like diving while your ability is impaired, just as you don't want to be driving under those conditions.

No one is saying it is a good idea. What was asked was historic data.
Much like drunk driving isn't tolerated today, not that long ago it was treated much like a speeding ticket.
If you are under 40 years old you probably don't understand. Or a millennial who chooses what history to believe and what to ignore because they don't like it.
Interesting thread. And maybe even more interesting due to comparisions to driving (and changed attitudes over the years).

But driving and diving seem to be very different. The rule I know about for diving is NO alcohol. The laws I know about for driving are "do not be under the influence".

Alcohol consumption is allowed for driving in many parts of the world. Alcohol consumption by a driver IN A CAR is also allowed in a few states. Can a Vehicle Passenger Drink Alcohol? Can I Have an Open Container in my Car?

It was taboo 33 years ago when I certified, but post-dive drinking was required. (In fact, at least locally the "snorkel test," involving beer and a snorkel, is still the informal "final exam" for newly certified divemasters....)

We called post dive drinking "decompressing" back in the day. To me beer never tastes better than after a dive, something about prolonged submergence in salt water makes those beers go down easy and smooth. No pre dive drinking however.

@AfterDark
We called post dive drinking "decompressing" back in the day. To me beer never tastes better than after a dive, something about prolonged submergence in salt water makes those beers go down easy and smooth. No pre dive drinking however
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I have often questioned the term "back in the day"
How long ago is Back in the day?
Is back in the day measured in Weeks? Months? Years?.
SDM

About the same timeline as the historic data that was asked for I think. Probably not as historical as back in your day however. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom