Diving & Alcohol

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I know some folks who will still have a beer on long SI. I don't join them but frowning upon it openly has rarely gotten me anywhere. I do not buddy with them.

But to remind all posters in this thread, the subforum is History and the OP is asking if there was anything (beyond anecdotal) that points to a specific time, incident, or written "regulation" bringing about the fact that not drinking and diving is emphasized in courses and the "first drink of the day, is your last dive of the day" emphasis on liveaboards. (Of course, I'm paraphrasing the OP here)

So? Is there anyone here with a specific answer? Perhaps boulderjohn recalls when PADI materials began to specifically include it or anyone else with such "historical" memories?

I have been diving 30 years this year. It has always been a no-no to drink before or while diving. However, 11 years ago when on our honeymoon diving the deep wreck of the SS President Coolidge, there was a group from Bundaberg in Queensland, of whom a number of members (male) were seen drinking between the dives. My wife and I decided to stay well clear of them.

Perhaps boulderjohn recalls when PADI materials began to specifically include it or anyone else with such "historical" memories?
I don't have any such memories. The person to ask about diving history is @Sam Miller III.

I typically follow a no alcohol policy the day before diving. I may have a light beer at dinner the night before, but that's rare. 2 reasons are I'm trying to stay hydrated and just doesn't seem safe to either drink before diving or be hungover.

Personally, I've never seen anyone drink before a dive or during the SI. Not uncommon to see someone have a beer on the ride home. I asked the mate one time what would happen if someone was drinking before a dive and he said the second they see alcohol in your hand you are done diving for the day and surprisingly they've seen it before.

Do you have access to primary scientific literature and a desire (and scientific knowledge) to read something really technical? I found several articles with a very brief search of the NIH's Pubmed.

One from 1987 in the Journal of Forensic Science details the death of a diver as result of nitrogen narcosis at a shallower depth than expected due to being under the influence of alcohol. Nitrogen narcosis and alcohol consumption--a scuba diving fatality. - PubMed - NCBI

Another, from 2007 in Research in Sports Medicine using self reported data found that 82.5% of respondents who identified as being certified divers (divers who identified as not certified overwhelmingly left the rest of the survey blank) use some alcohol, and 44.5% of them report having used alcohol within 12 hours of diving. Results did not show a significant correlation between either alcohol use or illicit substance abuse and dive related injuries. Risk factors for dive injury: a survey study. - PubMed - NCBI

Another self reported study, this one in the UK published in 2012 in Diving and Hyperbaric Medicine found that while older divers drink more, younger divers are more prone to binge drinking. 18.5% of respondents reported having completed a dive intoxicated to the point that they would not have driven a car, and 22.9% reported having witnessed a dive related injury that they believed was influenced by alcohol use. Less than 40% of respondents believe that their local club promotes a responsible attitude towards alcohol and diving. Alcohol and UK recreational divers: consumption and attitudes. - PubMed - NCBI

If you want to take a deep dive, you can check out The Journal of Diving History, published by the Historical Diving Society. Free E-Journals are available dating back to its inception as Historical Diver in 1992. I haven't read through them, but they might have some articles on alcohol, physiology, and scuba diving.

Not related to alcohol, but a 1992 study in Annals of Emergency Medicine found that Pseudoephedrine (original Sudafed) before diving reduced barotitis media (middle ear squeeze) in human divers, but in 2013, Neuroscience published an article that found that high doses in rats (caveat, that's more than you should be taking and you aren't a rat) increased oxygen toxicity.

@boulderjohn et al

It is a historical question so one must go to the source of recreational diving in the US and the world
the LA County Underwater Instruction manual

"Underwater recreation" *
1954, spiral bound, 8-1/2 X 11, 63 pages + USN dive tables

Page 49

#3. Should not dive after excessive drinking of alcohol until well rested and the effects of alcohol has passed

The warning was expanded from this warning in subsequent editions and other recreational diving manuals

There was a common phrase used in the LA Co program prior to the establishment of the other programs such as NAUI in 1960 and PADI in 1969

When the cork pops -- diving stops !

It was adhered to as chiseled in stone
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Underwater Recreation was written by the late great Bev Morgan who passed away less than a month ago
suggest referring to the "passing:" thread of the SCUBA Board for additional information on this remarkable man Bev Lee Morgan, a dear friend and confidant all these good and great years,

Sam Miller, 111

It is a historical question so one must go to the source of recreational diving in the US and the world the LA County Underwater Instruction manual...

I'm sure you could find similar warnings in British Admiralty and US Navy diving manuals going back to the 1920s as well. Unfortunately, they were widely ignored. Booze and general hell-raising is a common thread in a lot of published diving sea stories. Based on the Bob Kirby's Hard Hat Divers Wear Dresses, commercial Abalone divers also drank a lot of their profits.

Young males making lots of money is historically not especially good for their livers.

Booze and general hell-raising is a common thread in a lot of published diving sea stories.

Or sea stories in general. Who would have thought there would be a connection between sailors and alcohol.

As for my own experience, now I see the "When the cork pops -- diving stops !" enforced, but I remember a time when it was not as black and white.

Bob

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom