Diving & Alcohol

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Maxpcf

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hey everyone,

I'm curious as to alcohol's history within the sport of diving.

I'm pretty certain that all of us certified in the past decade have heard from the get go that the two don't mix, but I'm wondering how the "no alcohol before diving" rule came about. Was there a string of incidents that led to its creation or was it simply decided upon by some of the agencies.

Was it common to see a group of divers drinking a beer on the docks before the afternoon boat trip 30 or 40 years ago?

Would love to hear from anyone who could provide a little more background.

Thanks

Why would anyone mix alcohol with diving?

Would you be concerned seeing your pilot banging a few out just prior to departure? There's enough studies on this to fill volumes.....I use 12 hours for flying...I'd be ok with 8 for diving, but I'm not a heavy drinker anyways....your results may vary?

Not really what I'm asking.

I know that alcohol and diving don't mix and I'm sure we could sit here all day and list the hundreds of dangerous reasons why. I'm curious as to how it became such a strict rule.

I observed quite a few US Navy Divers in the 1970s that were functional alcoholics. It was fairly normal for decades before even if you only believe half the stories. Hard drinking and hard playing was pretty common in the commercial diving sector as well.

It is just common sense. You don't want to be doing something like diving while your ability is impaired, just as you don't want to be driving under those conditions.

No one is saying it is a good idea. What was asked was historic data.
Much like drunk driving isn't tolerated today, not that long ago it was treated much like a speeding ticket.
If you are under 40 years old you probably don't understand. Or a millennial who chooses what history to believe and what to ignore because they don't like it.

I never saw or heard of any diving supervisors in the Navy or commercial diving that allowed "drunk" divers in the water. Divers with a hangover was another matter unless the job or conditions were particularly demanding. However, a diver at the end of a hose with voice communications to an experienced super is much less risk to themselves and the job than a Scuba diver.

The American revolution was not PC. But its beginnings were fueled by beer and a tavern or 2 that allowed free speech.
We used to allow people to set their own limits. Now we have machines to do that for us.

Its all a crying shame, when people play the game and party too hardy get drunk as a skunk cause mayhem on the freeway.
No one should drink or smoke tobacco, but we love it cause it kills us faster. Faster is better, fastest is best it proves who's a man and who's car is best.

It was taboo 33 years ago when I certified, but post-dive drinking was required. (In fact, at least locally the "snorkel test," involving beer and a snorkel, is still the informal "final exam" for newly certified divemasters....)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom