Diving after a heart attack

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm not sure what they were put on, just that the statin produced "Who beat me up?" side effects and was discontinued.

Thanks everyone. I recently had my 7 month out cardiologist appointment that went over my rehab, ekg and nuclear stress test. I was told that I was lucky and that the heart attack and loss of heart tissue didn't lower my lifespan and that my ejection fraction was in the normal range at 60%. The nuclear stress test shows both the right and left sides of my heart are doing excellent but the lower center and lower interior at less than 20% gone. I did 15 minutes on the treadmill for the stress test.

When I started rehab I was able to walk about a mile on a treadmill and by the end of rehab I was able to do 4 miles in an hour including a cool down. My only restriction is lifting heavy weights. In rehab I learned how to warm up and lift lighter weights. Currently I am walking about 15 - 20 miles each week.

My diet has changed to pescatarian / vegetarian and I have lost about 30 pounds. I feel pretty good but not as powerful as I did.

My cardiologist wouldn't say I could dive as he doesn't know.

For my dive insurance to provide protection do I need a doctors ok ? What other considerations should I be thinking about regarding diving ?

You people have been a big help. thanks.

Bill

Thanks everyone. I recently had my 7 month out cardiologist appointment that went over my rehab, ekg and nuclear stress test. I was told that I was lucky and that the heart attack and loss of heart tissue didn't lower my lifespan and that my ejection fraction was in the normal range at 60%. The nuclear stress test shows both the right and left sides of my heart are doing excellent but the lower center and lower interior at less than 20% gone. I did 15 minutes on the treadmill for the stress test.

When I started rehab I was able to walk about a mile on a treadmill and by the end of rehab I was able to do 4 miles in an hour including a cool down. My only restriction is lifting heavy weights. In rehab I learned how to warm up and lift lighter weights. Currently I am walking about 15 - 20 miles each week.

My diet has changed to pescatarian / vegetarian and I have lost about 30 pounds. I feel pretty good but not as powerful as I did.

My cardiologist wouldn't say I could dive as he doesn't know.

For my dive insurance to provide protection do I need a doctors ok ? What other considerations should I be thinking about regarding diving ?

You people have been a big help. thanks.

Bill
Be aware it's a lot easier to cool down and recover after 4 miles in an hour on a rehab or stress treadmill -->all at 1 ATA Standard Ambient Surface Pressure.

Normal respiration in Scuba Diving results in alveolar hypoventilation, which can degenerate into inadequate CO2 elimination or Hypercapnia depending on the level and intensity of physical exercise at depth (i.e. kicking against and attempting to make headway into a strong current as an extreme example).

With a history of cardiovascular disease and myocardial infarction, refrain from purposely over-exerting yourself into increasing heavy labored work-of-breathing at depth which can start the vicious cycle of CO2 retention and spiraling out-of-control into severe hypercapnia:
Symptoms and signs of early hypercapnia include flushed skin, full pulse, tachypnea, dyspnea, extrasystoles. . . reduced neural activity, and possibly a raised blood pressure. According to other sources, symptoms of mild hypercapnia might include headache, confusion and lethargy. Hypercapnia can induce increased cardiac output, an elevation in arterial blood pressure, and a propensity toward arrhythmias. . . In severe hypercapnia. . . symptomatology progresses to disorientation, panic, hyperventilation, convulsions, unconsciousness. . .

Bill,

I'm glad to hear you're recovering. I concur with Kevin in that exercise tolerance becomes more of a factor when immersed. I'd recommend seeing one of the many diving physicians in the Southern California area who can evaluate you if you're ready to try diving again. PM me if you'd like a referral.

Best regards,
Eric

Take up Eric's offer. Duke & DAN are your best source of hard information. As to your dive insurance? The only way to get a real answer, is to ask your insurer, in writing, and retain their written answer. In theory your policy should cover this (policies are intentionally typeset in a way that makes them legally "legible" but incredibly hard to read) but you need to have a clear written statement, so you can hold them to their word, if necessary.

If the insurance is through DAN...I'd expect a more straightforward answer than what most insurers would dance around.(G)

I spoke with a dive doctor today. Because of the 20% loss of heart tissue I would be putting extra strain on my heart that I really do not need. The stents and medication are another factor. I am in a grey area as I do medically qualify but it is not a good idea is what I am being told.

Other problems are medical facilities where I like to dive are not able to respond if something happens.

Realistically, I am no longer a recreational diver but I have plenty of memories and am very grateful for the time I had.

Thanks for all of the advice !!!

I spoke with a dive doctor today. Because of the 20% loss of heart tissue I would be putting extra strain on my heart that I really do not need. The stents and medication are another factor. I am in a grey area as I do medically qualify but it is not a good idea is what I am being told.

Other problems are medical facilities where I like to dive are not able to respond if something happens.

Realistically, I am no longer a recreational diver but I have plenty of memories and am very grateful for the time I had.

Thanks for all of the advice !!!
I am very sorry to read this. The tone of great regret is coming through.

Sorry to hear that Bill. I know the feeling - I still can't bring myself to sell my dive gear even though I know realistically there's no more diving in my future.

@Duke Dive Medicine and @Mr Bill, I feel like I sending condolences to someone who's lost a loved one. Sorry for your loss. I started reading this thread looking for a happy ending for the OP. Question: Does reading/writing about diving help fill the void or does it make it worse? I ask as each of us in our turn will have to hang up our fins.

Couv

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom