Diving after a heart attack

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mr Bill

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi all

I am wondering what happens after rehab regarding my recent heart attack and 3 stents. I am male, 58 and in pretty shape as in fit. Is there a required document I need besides my open water and nitrox. Can I still use nitrox ? I am about half way through rehab and can keep my heart rate in the safe zone using a treadmill at 3.5 mph with a small incline and have always made at least a 3 mile distance in 50 or so minutes. I increase the incline each session. So physically or aerobically, I think I am fine. I will not be allowed to lift weights until after a stress test and cardiologists review. Currently I am not lifting .

Am I forgetting something, lol. ?

Thank you

Bill

Hi all

Its me, Mr Bill. I am wondering what happens after rehab regarding diving and my recent heart attack and 3 stents. I am male, 58 and in pretty good shape, as in fit with the exception of the heart attack.

Is there a required document I will need to dive besides my advanced open water and nitrox. Can I still use nitrox ?
I am about half way through rehab and can keep my heart rate in the safe zone using a treadmill at 3.5 mph with a small incline and have always made at least a 3 mile distance in 50 or so minutes. I increase the incline each session. So physically or aerobically, I think I am fine. I will not be allowed to lift weights until after a stress test and cardiologists review after rehab. Currently I am not lifting but I am certain I could lift my scuba gear and go for a dive.

Thank you

Bill

Hi all

Its me, Mr Bill. I am wondering what happens after rehab regarding diving and my recent heart attack and 3 stents. I am male, 58 and in pretty good shape, as in fit with the exception of the heart attack.

Is there a required document I will need to dive besides my advanced open water and nitrox. Can I still use nitrox ?
I am about half way through rehab and can keep my heart rate in the safe zone using a treadmill at 3.5 mph with a small incline and have always made at least a 3 mile distance in 50 or so minutes. I increase the incline each session. So physically or aerobically, I think I am fine. I will not be allowed to lift weights until after a stress test and cardiologists review after rehab. Currently I am not lifting but I am certain I could lift my scuba gear and go for a dive.

Thank you

Bill

I am not qualified to reply. I do not know what I am talking about. Do not listen to anything I say, do not believe anything I write. It likely is wrong and you may harm yourself ... or worse.

That said:
Why not consult a dive physician?
All I know is that e.g. in Germany anyone over a certain age (40?) Is required to get a physical specifically for diving (supposedly not just a doctors signature on the Padi Form). When I did mine there (long story), it included a stress test that intentially was not held within the safe zone, but brought to "cannot cycle anymore"... or as the good doctor put it: "until your legs fall off".
Anyway, I think the point is to see from the curves if there is any hardening in the "blood circulation system". To see bpm and pressure and then make some smart conclusions that I won't venture to try to remember. I presume they want to see that if caught fighting against a current, prior to starting to think and stop fighting one does not get into cardiovascular trouble. (Pending on situation, that heart rate may go higher than "safe". Then what?
No conclusion. Not qualified, just food for thought for you.

Best of Luck. Get well and hopefully it all works out for the best.

Perhaps post in the Pac NW forum or medical forum for a doc that is Board Certified in Diving and Hyperbaric Medicine. Best...

As suggested above, consult a diving doctor and get a written release

Hi all

I ain't no doctor or in any way medically trained but the general attitude of cardiologists (from what I've read) seems to be that it is better to exercise than not. I don't have any facts or statistics on hand but I've gotten the impression that more people die from heart attacks sitting in front of the TV than do while actively exercising. It's the "If it doesn't kill you it will make you stronger" approach.

Like everyone else said, ask your doctor.

FWIW: 2 Stents. When the subject of SCUBA diving comes up, my cardiologist just say's he's jealous.

Hello,

In general we are happy for a diver to return to diving after a myocardial infarction so long as:

The cause is treated - eg by stents or coronary bypass grafting

A minimum of 6 months has passed

There are no longer any symptoms of myocardial ischaemia eg angina

There is demonstrably adequate exercise capacity for diving eg sustained exercise at 6 MET

Inducible ischaemia has been ruled out in a stress test of some nature (a treadmill test can also be used to assess your exercise capacity).

There also needs to be a risk vs benefit discussion of diving whilst taking potent antiplatelet agents (eg clopidogrel / plavix) which you would be on for a while after stenting (it varies according to the type of stent you have had put in).

Some of these issues are discussed in:

MITCHELL SJ, BOVE AA. Medical screening of recreational divers for cardiovascular disease: Consensus discussion at the Divers Alert Network Fatality Workshop. Undersea Hyper Med 38, 289-296, 2011

I can send you this paper if you pm me an email address.

The bottom line is that you will almost certainly be able to return to diving after navigating these steps. I agree with the advice to find a diving physician who can help you through the process.

Simon M

Back
Top Bottom