Diving 32% Nitrox with "Air" Algorithms

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What I have learned from this thread...... and other threads....... is that many of my "old school" ideas and personal opinions, combined with my inherent stubbornness and tendency to debate and challenge those that have a "high horse my way or the highway attitude" may not always be the best option. I really do sincerely appreciate the responses from those that are respectful, constructive and instructive. Thanks!

I am simply suggesting another solution to the discrepancy: leave the computer set to air and just use air tanks.
If the dive profile is still far from NDL, this is also a viable solution.
Both solutions provide some benefits and some drawbacks...
And both are an improvement over the practice employed by the OP.
Exactly!

When diving CCR (very new to me) I keep my PPO2 at 1.3 but my off board backup computer is set to 1.2.
It unfortunately doesn’t surprise me at all given your instructor choice, but your backup constant PPO2 computer should match as close as possible your onboard monitor or controller.

#6, 12 and 19.
I only said my three dc does not have safety factor and suggested to the OP that it is better to have a 2nd computer set on nitrox to track the O2 intake. Period.
Where did I say lying to my computer? You made that up. Shame on you.
GF? Waste of money? Of course it is for me.
Are you using GF?
Which nitrox DC's don't have conservatism settings? They must be pretty ancient. But even if they don't, you can accomplish it manually. Set the real O2, and stay farther away from the NDL limit. If you are going to buy a second DC to set the actual O2 on, just buy one with conservatism settings and use it. Retire the old computer.

You are fairly incoherent, so I might have misunderstood you. But, it appeared you were endorsing the method of setting a DC to 21% even though diving 32%, as a means of achieving conservatism.

GF's are a great(but far from the only) way to manage conservatism, which is why I use them.

Which nitrox DC's don't have conservatism settings? They must be pretty ancient. But even if they don't, you can accomplish it manually. Set the real O2, and stay farther away from the NDL limit. If you are going to buy a second DC to set the actual O2 on, just buy one with conservatism settings and use it. Retire the old computer.

You are fairly incoherent, so I might have misunderstood you. But, it appeared you were endorsing the method of setting a DC to 21% even though diving 32%, as a means of achieving conservatism.

GF's are a great(but far from the only) way to manage conservatism, which is why I use them.
Plenty of dc have no conservatism setting!! Age has no meaning because they all work faultlessly. How long have you been diving?
Where did you get the opinion that I endorsed the method of setting a dc to air and then dive nitrox? Show me please #6, 12 and 19! You are incoherent and full of S.

There are plenty of dc does not use GF for conservatism!!

Plenty of dc have no conservatism setting!! Age has no meaning because they all work faultlessly. How long have you been diving?
Nitrox capable DC's? That is what OP has.

Where did you get the opinion that I endorsed the method of setting a dc to air and then dive nitrox? Show me please #6, 12 and 19! You are incoherent and full of S.
Here in #6:
I would use another computer set on nitrox to record the O2 intake.
You don't need "another" computer to track O2 if your first is already set correctly.

There are plenty of dc does not use GF for conservatism!!
Which is why I said:
... GF's are a great(but far from the only) way to manage conservatism ...
Notice the "but far from the only" part of the quote. Every decent DC made in the last several decades has conservatism settings, even the ones that don't use GF's.

LOL.
It does not matter what dc the OP is using.
OP was asking the question on setting and I suggested that he should use another dc to track the O2 intake! I just do not like to say NO to the question.
My Uwatec Aladin Pro nitrox produced in 1995 does not has conservatism setting.
Both Oceanic Veo 100 and Veo 180Nx(10yrs younger) also has no conservatism setting!

In the interest of adding "conservatism" to our diving, my wife and I when diving the tropics (mostly shore diving on Bonaire ) dive 32% Nitrox. But to increase safety, we still keep our computers set to Air. We fully understand and adhere to the 111ft MOD for 32% and we even augment that by agreeing to stay inside of 100ft max depth as a rule. We just keep our computers set to AIR to add in some more "conservatism" . We then plan and dive the AIR algorithms ....... and NEVER go below the MOD for 32% Nitrox.

Anyone else do this........or does anyone have a reason why not to do this?
It isn't going to hurt anything, but it is largely a wasted point. While common at one time, I don't think you can still buy a computer that doesn't have nitrox settings. Just tell the computer what you are diving and base your conservatism on your own beliefs. Computers generate information based on the inputs given. If you feed it bad information, it doesn't give you accurate information back. I prefer to feed it with correct information.
As to tracking oxygen exposure, yes, that is a thing, but I would say you would have an incredibly hard time ever exceeding your o2 exposure by doing recreational dives with recreational nitrox.
It doesn't really come into play until you start doing long dives with high oxygen blends.

LOL.
It does not matter what dc the OP is using.
OP was asking the question on setting and I suggested that he should use another dc to track the O2 intake! I just do not like to say NO to the question.
My Uwatec Aladin Pro nitrox produced in 1995 does not has conservatism setting.
Both Oceanic Veo 100 and Veo 180Nx(10yrs younger) also has no conservatism setting!

uh, it's been a while since I've used it but if I recall correctly
my Aladin pro Nitrox of approx the same vintage has a setting for PO2. If i were going for a less or more conservative result I'd change that.

Are there any nitrox computers that don't have an adjustable PO2 setting?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom