Diving 32% Nitrox with "Air" Algorithms

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What is that going to do with dc?
Certainly a lot more than regulator technology.

Faster processors for more calculations per second. More storage space for logging as well as tracking 16 compartments.
Are you suggesting by using modern day dc the ndl will be extended and the deco time is shorter?
Not at all. That’s a function of the algorithm, but it’s possible because I can adjust conservatism settings on my computer.
I have dived with diver using SW and their ndl is no better than my ancient dc.
Good for you, who knows what settings they used, or how closely your profiles matched.

Maybe you can ask them to download the profile, and you can download your profile so we can compare. Might need to break out the Win95 machine and serial cable for yours, though.

Anyone else do this........or does anyone have a reason why not to do this?
Two (2) reasons.

1) Your computer now no longer helps you with MOD - you're flying solo without a backup basically.

2) Your computer is incorrectly calculating / tracking Oxygen Toxicity Units, known as OTUs for short. Since it thinks you're on 21% (air) - it largely ignores OTUs since the bigger issue is Nitrogen.

To avoid Pulmonary issues, typically you would limit your OTUs to 300 in any given 24 hour period.

While likely you won't run into any issues, there could be corner cases where you're accumulating OTUs and not realize how close to the 300 OTU limit guidance you are.

We are talking about computers. Regulators are different as they are all mechanical.

Computers, on the other hand are electronic, and there have been tons of advancements in the past 28 years. More storage space, faster processors, etc. Tons of advancements.

I’m hoping for hoseless Bluetooth regulators one day….

Two (2) reasons.

1) Your computer now no longer helps you with MOD - you're flying solo without a backup basically.
Complete BS..... As I stated in the original post. We have set a personal limit of 100ft as our agreed MOD and our computers give us our depth and we have alarms set to alert us if we should ever exceed that depth.
2) Your computer is incorrectly calculating / tracking Oxygen Toxicity Units, known as OTUs for short. Since it thinks you're on 21% (air) - it largely ignores OTUs since the bigger issue is Nitrogen.
Once again. With our stated and self imposed conservative MOD of 100ft, there is basically zero or little risk of O2 toxicity as long as we are staying within the NDL limits for air....... which we do. If I am wrong about this than please explain exactly why.

PS.... I have already stated that based on the good comments stated here that we will now go ahead with the proper and accurate info and set our computers to the gas we are actually diving.

there is basically zero or little risk of O2 toxicity as long as we are staying within the NDL limits for air....... which we do. If I am wrong about this than please explain exactly why.
There are actually two kinds of O2 toxicity, CNS and Pulmonary. The former is what you are concerned about with the MOD. The latter is due to accumulated exposure to PPO2 > 0.5...thus the "OTU" reference. It is NOT related to MODs, or to staying within NDLs. It is unlikely in most recreational diving, but still possible, That is what the post above is talking about. For more info, see Ask DAN: What is Oxygen Toxicity, and how can divers avoid it?

Maybe you can ask them to download the profile, and you can download your profile so we can compare. Might need to break out the Win95 machine and serial cable for yours, though.
LOL.
For what reason to compare individual dive profile?
No DC can promise 100% safety no matter how much you paid for it.
ZLH16 was developed yrs ago.
I do not need bell and whistle for scuba diving and I won't pay for it!!

Once again. With our stated and self imposed conservative MOD of 100ft, there is basically zero or little risk of O2 toxicity as long as we are staying within the NDL limits for air....... which we do. If I am wrong about this than please explain exactly why.
The OTU tracking he is referring to isn't the same as the oxygen toxicity you are referring to.

Oxygen toxicity can happen in different ways. You have a high level exposure that can cause rapid toxicity, this is what most think of in terms of ox tox scenarios. You switch onto an oxygen bottle at 70' instead of a 50% bottle and go into a seizure. Or more likely in the recreational realm, you are breathing 40% and diving at 120' for a few minutes.

It can also accumulate over time, you have a daily exposure limit of what they call OTUs or oxygen toxicity units. This is limited to 300 per day. While a huge dose at once can cause major issues, so can a healthy dose prolonged over a period of time. Your computer tracks these OTUs for you if you give it the correct gas information.
For recreational dives on recreational nitrox, I suppose it could be possible, but you would have to try very hard to ever exceed this. It comes heavily into play in technical diving.

I was on a 10 Day trip on a live aboard in Turks and Caicos. Diving 5 dives a day and the top of the reef was 40 feet or lower. Using an Oceanic Datapro 3 computer. On several dives towards the last half of the trip found my O2 level were in the warning level and having to stay higher in the water column.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom