DIVI Flamingo: what is the present condition of dive pier?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
Luis H

Luis H

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
DIVI Flamingo: what is the present condition of dive pier?

Does anyone know the present condition of the dive pier at DIVI Flamingo?

How are the repairs coming? Are they working on it?

Any predictions of when will it be back in service?

If dive pier is still not in working condition:

What are they doing as an alternative for boat diving and shore diving?

Are they still using the south pier?

What are they doing for the customers dive gear lockers?

Where do they keep the tanks for shore diving?

How about night dives from shore? Do they have temporary gear lockers that is easily accessible after hours?

We have a group going in just a few months.

One of the biggest selling points of DIVI was their super convenient dive gear locker at the end of the pier. We are bit concerned about the present condition of the facility.

Thanks in advance for any information.

Well, it's April and I'm getting "radio silience" from DIVI. Has anyone been there to witness a new dock, construction, or the lack of activity?

Well, it's April and I'm getting "radio silience" from DIVI. Has anyone been there to witness a new dock, construction, or the lack of activity?
Been here at Divi for a week and no activity on the dive pier, still roped off.The tanks are stored on the south pier and that’s where the boats pick up.

7C6A11E0-272D-4026-8FBE-6897F8602338.jpeg

We were there in Feb and it looked just like that. They are using the other pier for now and 2 guys came out of the dive shop and I asked them when the new pier will be done. One guy said Maybe 2025 and the other guy chimed in and said or 2030!! I would not be expecting much for a while. Everything takes forever on Bonaire. There weeks and months soon turn into years. And they said they were making some boats move off of the other pier because thats where their boats are going out of for now. If it was short term, why would they make boats leave that pier?

Was there in March. The picture above pretty much explains it. No shade as you can see. One small double sided bench on the pier end. Yes the southern pier is being used which is on the the other end of the DIVI property. No stairs like the the old pier but the have a decent ladder on the end. NITROX and air tanks stored on the end of the pier, available 24/7. Fresh water tanks and Nitrox checking equipment also on the pier. I don’t know how many lockers they had on the north pier but the south pier lockers may be less than before.

We didn’t ask, but we did swim north and under the old pier…. lots of junk, nothing special as I recall.

We got the official update on the pier, officially closed by police(?), new pier is on island, but official go ahead by island officials has not been given. No sign of any recent demolition or progress.

Was there in March. The picture above pretty much explains it. No shade as you can see. One small double sided bench on the pier end. Yes the southern pier is being used which is on the the other end of the DIVI property. No stairs like the the old pier but the have a decent ladder on the end. NITROX and air tanks stored on the end of the pier, available 24/7. Fresh water tanks and Nitrox checking equipment also on the pier. I don’t know how many lockers they had on the north pier but the south pier lockers may be less than before.

We didn’t ask, but we did swim north and under the old pier…. lots of junk, nothing special as I recall.

We got the official update on the pier, officially closed by police(?), new pier is on island, but official go ahead by island officials has not been given. No sign of any recent demolition or progress.
Much less locker space in the pic above. Were other lockers available or did you have to take your stuff to your room?

The old north dock had 3 rows of full height lockers under the hut and 1 longer row outside between the hut and office. 2 divers per locker. They also had a bunch of short lockers just outside the office.

The pic looks like about half of the outside row of lockers has been moved to the south dock.

This does put the tanks closer to the compressor which is located at the south dock.

Those were
Much less locker space in the pic above. Were other lockers available or did you have to take your stuff to your room?

The old north dock had 3 rows of full height lockers under the hut and 1 longer row outside between the hut and office. 2 divers per locker. They also had a bunch of short lockers just outside the office.

The pic looks like about half of the outside row of lockers has been moved to the south dock.

This does put the tanks closer to the compressor which is located at the south dock.
Those were the only lockers!

I count 9 lockers on the dock. Where the lockers by the office available? Were did you store your gear?
A former meeting room close to the south pier has been converted to a makeshift locker room. A plus being it is close to the south pier, as opposed to some remaining lockers near the north pier which are still being used (need to haul your gear to the south pier using a cart). A minus being the poor ventilation in the makeshift locker room, my gear didn't dry out well all week, dislike having to don cool and damp gear. I agree that this likely will be the setup for some time to come.

Update…. Yes, I saw the storage area in the “converted meeting room” but at the time, I thought it was for locals/staff. Didn’t look like things would dry out very fast. Yes, as someone mentioned the small pier just south of the old dive pier did have lockers on it. I didn‘t remember it, as it seemed insignificant since it’s so far from the south boat dock. Not very useful for boat diving, IMHO.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom