DIVI Flamingo: what is the present condition of dive pier?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
Luis H

Luis H

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
DIVI Flamingo: what is the present condition of dive pier?

Does anyone know the present condition of the dive pier at DIVI Flamingo?

How are the repairs coming? Are they working on it?

Any predictions of when will it be back in service?

If dive pier is still not in working condition:

What are they doing as an alternative for boat diving and shore diving?

Are they still using the south pier?

What are they doing for the customers dive gear lockers?

Where do they keep the tanks for shore diving?

How about night dives from shore? Do they have temporary gear lockers that is easily accessible after hours?

We have a group going in just a few months.

One of the biggest selling points of DIVI was their super convenient dive gear locker at the end of the pier. We are bit concerned about the present condition of the facility.

Thanks in advance for any information.

Why are many of you so tied up to Divi Flamingo rather than using another accommodation/operator?

I like the location, walking distance to town. I like the facilities, I like the studio rooms in the north end of the resort, near the dive pier we are talking about. :(

But, the most important is that I like their dive guides. In the past I used to do a more shore diving, but we prefer boat diving now.

Notice that I call them dive guides, not dive masters. We are particular about dive guides. For our group I look for creature finders, not baby sitters. We like long dives and the guides get extra points if they can point out frogfish, seahorses, etc.

I have gotten to know some of the guides and now consider them friends. They know me and our group and we have a good time.

My experience is that some resorts hire too many transients (backpackers) as dive masters… I don’t like when a kid yells at me to sit down when the boat is docking.

Just my personal preference… :)

I just stopped in there yesterday and the flooring is all done on the new dock and the ladders are in. As I was leaving, they had guys wheeling the lockers down to it. I asked the security guy and he said in 2 to 3 weeks, it will all be done and back to normal.

I have good news and I have bad news as of August 18, 2024. The north dive pier is now open for shore diving, but not yet for boat diving.

The dock surface is done, and two really nice ladders are installed, but there are no structures on the dock yet (Shade, lockers, etc). The lockers have been delivered, but they're stashed by the dive shop and not usable yet. The new story is that the Bonaire government won't allow any construction during hurricane season, so this is as good as it gets until hurricane season ends.

So yes, you can shore dive from the new dock, and they have tanks out there. But your assigned gear locker is at the other pier. It's easier for now to just do all of your diving from the other dock. Not a big deal - I've finally accepted it after TWO YEARS!, but it'll be great when it's back to normal. Gotta love the water here - gin clear and currently 84 to 85 degrees.
IMG_6417.JPG

IMG_6424.JPG

Thanks for the updates.

Well, the only good news is that the dive stairways are in and the lockers are closer.

They don't get hurricanes in Bonaire. They get some seas, but hurricanes don't actually go that far south... :confused:

Thanks for the updates.

Well, the only good news is that the dive stairways are in and the lockers are closer.

They don't get hurricanes in Bonaire. They get some seas, but hurricanes don't actually go that far south... :confused:

Wasn’t it Hurricane Ian that caused this damage?

Wasn’t it Hurricane Ian that caused this damage?

They get waves and higher sea state as the hurricanes pass north of the ABC islands, but the island are not in the hurricane path. But yes, they do get some effects, just not direct hits.

Many years ago I did some structural/ wind load design calculations for a project in Aruba and at first I thought it would be the same codes as other Caribbean Islands or Florida, thinking hurricane zone. I learned quickly that I was wrong and that would have been too conservative, with much higher wind speeds and wind design loads than what they actually experience.

Update...I got more intel regarding the position of the Bonaire Govt. In addition to "no construction during hurricane season", they are apparently no longer allowing structures to be built on on new piers (Old piers with structures are grandfathered). They want new piers to be "naked", so to speak. So it's unlikely that the reconstructed pier will ever have a pergola/shade. And they probably won't be able to put gear lockers on the pier either, unless they can get a waiver. I suppose the solution is to install the lockers on land next to the dive shop.

Back
Top Bottom