Divesoft BOV

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Josh_Boon

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Have been thinking about going to a BOV and looking at the Divesoft. I do a lot of DPV diving and curious if anyone who uses that BOV has any issues with free flow while scootering?

Have been thinking about going to a BOV and looking at the Divesoft. I do a lot of DPV diving and curious if anyone who uses that BOV has any issues with free flow while scootering?
no issues with freeflow ever but I did add a chin pad to fill the gap between the body and my chin. Without it the water pressure against the body gave me horrible jaw pain.

no issues with freeflow ever but I did add a chin pad to fill the gap between the body and my chin. Without it the water pressure against the body gave me horrible jaw pain.
Can you share a picture of that 'chin pad', please?

That's nice to know. I currently dive the Divest DSV with the gag strap and wonder if that would also help with jaw fatigue using the BOV?

Can you share a picture of that 'chin pad', please?
There was a lot of research and development involved with this upgrade. I spent a dive with my finger shoved between my chin and bov to make the jaw ache go away. I then went home and cut two piece of neoprene out of an old 7mm suit and glued them on.
1722999525250.jpeg

I did a bunch of multi-km dives over there with the DS BOV on speed '3' or '4' and it didn't bother me at all. I also have a $20 DIY strap shock-corded on there, and a 5mm hood, which helps a bit, but it is not required.

Also works great in testier conditions, such as scootering in strongish tidal currents. There is a an in-water adjustment screw on the second stage too, but I haven't needed it. This BOV works fine at 90+ metres on a good mix, just like any decent second stage.

If you connect via QC6 (or other high-flow QD) then you can unplug it if ever tries to empty your gas.

(Obviously some other second (or more) regulators of BO gas is advisable, even if only a 2nd stage on the same S40 that your BOV is plugged to.)

strap.jpg

I did a bunch of multi-km dives over there with the DS BOV on speed '3' or '4' and it didn't bother me at all. I also have a $20 DIY strap shock-corded on there, and a 5mm hood, which helps a bit, but it is not required.

Also works great in testier conditions, such as scootering in strongish tidal currents. There is a an in-water adjustment screw on the second stage too, but I haven't needed it. This BOV works fine at 90+ metres on a good mix, just like any decent second stage.

If you connect via QC6 (or other high-flow QD) then you can unplug it if ever tries to empty your gas.

(Obviously some other second (or more) regulators of BO gas is advisable, even if only a 2nd stage on the same S40 that your BOV is plugged to.)

View attachment 854821
I would definitely be using my current gag strap with it. I have come to really enjoy using it. I would probably run the QC6 fitting with it also and still have an other 2nd stage. Do you still have a separate inflator also on your bailout to connect to ADV if needed?

Love my divesoft. Lighter and more neutral than the golem gear one. I personally have never had any issues with mine. I have no discomfort on long scooter dives. My wife has had some TMJ issues in the past and the divesoft doesn't bother her. Obviously everyone is different but for me the golems are very uncomfortable compared to the divesoft.

Do you still have a separate inflator also on your bailout to connect to ADV if needed?
Yeah I usually have the stage whip, mostly there for efficient SMB inflation I would say. Though yeah can plug it to dil MAV for flushing on more serious dives, or diluent switches. Perhaps also a backup wing/suit inflate, or even as the primary inflate when conserving special diluents.

One LPI whip tire valve started to fail and freeflow due to corrosion from inadequate rinsing 🤦 Now I always specifically disconnect, rinse and shake out the LPI nipples. Sometimes a purge blast of clean air with an allen key or chopstick.

Another thing I learned about the BOV is that you shouldn't descend it with an inline shutoff, or without it being pressurized. The diaphragm will be sucked/pushed into the reg, resulting in separation, leaks, and wet breathing on OC. Fortunately in my case the DS diaphragm didn't actually tear, it just dislodged a bit. I learned this while experimenting with ways to prevent hypoxic gas inhalation when pre-plugging the BOV to a deep stage for Mod3 dives. Strategies vary on that.

There was a lot of research and development involved with this upgrade. I spent a dive with my finger shoved between my chin and bov to make the jaw ache go away. I then went home and cut two piece of neoprene out of an old 7mm suit and glued them on.
View attachment 854815
And who said old-world craftsmanship was dead ?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom