Dives 22,23 and 24. Bonne Terre Mine Experience Aug 2011

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm not passing the buck. I walked into the mine, I jumped into the 58 degree water all 3 times. No one drug me down the stairs to the mine and no one pushed me in. It was my own decision to do this. I was merely describing my experience and what happened and I lived to tell about it. YES, I HAVE LEARNED FROM THIS. CASE CLOSED. SORRY I EVER POSTED ON HERE. WONT HAPPEN AGAIN!

I'm not passing the buck. I walked into the mine, I jumped into the 58 degree water all 3 times. No one drug me down the stairs to the mine and no one pushed me in. It was my own decision to do this. I was merely describing my experience and what happened and I lived to tell about it. YES, I HAVE LEARNED FROM THIS. CASE CLOSED. SORRY I EVER POSTED ON HERE. WONT HAPPEN AGAIN!

WOOA THERE COWBOY!!!!. Chill a bit and listen to the feedback and advice from these folks. A lot of em are dive pros.
What I'm reading is people who genuinely care about diving and want newbee divers to have a safe experience.-As safe as possible. They have identified issues in the dive op's setup is all.
The trouble is that your diving has been fairly intense so ya don't know what you don't know. As others have pointed out that means that kinda like a tandum skydive or a bungy jump. You are trusting that the dive op,DM etc know what they are doing and are gonna get you outa there if it turns to custard.
For the record the dives you've done sound danged amazing.

If you do dive again take a thermos of warm water or have another suit ready. I dive alot in the winter in a 7mm so keeping warm is a must and I take a coat and beanie handy.

And dont take these post to hard folks can be harsh at times but mean well. I have been to the mine and I also think that it could be a better experience for the money spent. I also think any dive you can learn from is a good one so just keep diving!

Last edited:
CGCHRN, please, it does little good to get that defensive. Yes, when you post issues here on ScubaBoard, you ARE going to be asked to look at what your own responsibility was in the situation . . . this is actually a very good learning experience. I've had people be pretty darned critical of me, when I've posted my screwups, and I learned from it, even if it wasn't very comfortable.

I think many of us have learned that what good diving judgment is, and what a dive operator will let you do, are two very different things. I went to 130 feet on an Al80 for my 10th dive of my life -- this was unwise to a degree that I absolutely did not understand at the time. I just knew the guy I was following was an instructor (which he was) and he knew how green I was (and he did) and I had been accustomed to following instructors and doing what they told me to do, so I did it. It was only a couple of months later, when I attended the first of NW Grateful Diver's gas management seminars, that I realized how foolish what I had done had been. I learned my "don't follow blindly" lesson at no cost to me at all; you learned yours at the cost of getting hypothermic and anxious. The important thing is that both of us learned the lesson with no permanent harm done.

I think you will be more careful and perhaps do a bit more research into your diving opportunities in the future. Don't you?

I do not believe you are familiar with Bonne Terre Mine.

It is NOT a cave. It is Not overhead.

The parts you are allowed to dive on the first dive there are not deep (I think 40' maybe if that). The dives are guided, and I mean SERIOUSLY hand held. You are not allowed to stray at all. They have like a two to one diver to guide ratio, and you can Not carry a light so straying from the group is very difficult, maybe impossible. You get a tank light and that is it.

Vis is 200' or better. So very clear water. It's rock so nothing to cloud it up. Don't let the word MINE trip you up. It is an underground swimming pool... a very large one.

Bonne Terre IS for newbies, so lets get past that point. The only issue the Op had was getting cold. That is the only issue in need of discussion.

I haven't a clue about Bonne Terre Mine. Let's stipulate it's a great sight for intro divers. This still leaves us with the OPs central issue, namely an over-reliance on others to dive safely. I would say based on this incident that the OP needs to stop, learn, and process safe diving skills before he dives again. This includes dive planning, self-rescue, and proper gear.

Over-relying on others is a mistake we all make when we begin anything new, with all of the overwhelming aspects of diving it seems far easier to rely on dive pros to make the decisions. TSandM posted her experience above. One of my own early diving errors was following around a DM who turned out to be lost -- it turns out CESA works. I think the OP needs to take his lumps, learn from this experience and head out diving again, perhaps a little better prepared next time.

To the OP, don't stress, we all goof, the important thing is that you are safe and can dive again.

Michael

I learn so much from reading this forum.

I learn from new divers who share their experiences (both good and bad) and I learn from the Old Salts who are quick to share advice.

I learn that I want to become totally self-reliant and I learn that I want to be the kind of diver that can be relied upon.

Mostly, I learn that I want to learn more.
Thank you all.

Bonne Terre could really improve their rental gear, particularly their wetsuits. I've gone there several times, but always with my own gear. I've never been impressed with what I've seen them renting out. The last time I went, one of the divers quit after the first dive because they didn't have a rental suit that would fit her well enough. She tried one dive and was miserable with the cold. No refund.

It can be really fun to dive there, and the guides are great. It is a very unique environment. As others have mentioned, it's not an overhead environment so it is safe enough for newbies. You just have to have good exposure protection! If your exposure suit is sufficient, most folks find the first dive cold, but by the third they've forgotten all about it.

$65 is pretty steep for one dive, though--and who doesn't include weights these days!?!

Let's just boil this down. You were having fun until you got cold... And then you got even colder. I am sure you won't do that again. Next time if you have to rent a wetsuit, if they don't have one thick enough, rent two and double up. Water drops your body temp way faster than air, and as you now know, hypothermia can ruin your dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom