Divers shoot Sand Tigers off Wilmington coast

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Read the captain's post. He did report it. I don't see ANYTHING wrong with the captain's actions.

What exactly do you mean by this? The captain should engage in illegal activities to make sure that the divers "paid the price"?

And you say you're not an extremist?

toodive4:
It is obvious the Captain did not care enough to fully turnh the screws into these two men. That I have a problem with. No he couldn't have stopped them from shooting the sharks - but he could have assured these two paid the price!

Ken Barrick

In an earlier post it was noted that authorities either could not or would not take action because of a lack of evidence. The Captain's responsibility was to secure the evidence and he failed to do so - either on purpose (to keep the two out of trouble,) or due to an ignorance of the law. In either case I say that's a problem. You don't have to agree... but those are the facts. I applaud him reporting it... but why did he not secure the needed evidence for prosecution????????????

Ken

ReefGuy:
Read the captain's post. He did report it. I don't see ANYTHING wrong with the captain's actions.

What exactly do you mean by this? The captain should engage in illegal activities to make sure that the divers "paid the price"?

And you say you're not an extremist?

Yes, I can read. Perhaps you should re-read the thread and look at who's posting what.

I won't get into a pissing contest with you on this. Twit filter on.

toodive4:
In an earlier post it was noted that authorities either could not or would not take action because of a lack of evidence. The Captain's responsibility was to secure the evidence and he failed to do so - either on purpose (to keep the two out of trouble,) or due to an ignorance of the law. In either case I say that's a problem. You don't have to agree... but those are the facts. I applaud him reporting it... but why did he not secure the needed evidence for prosecution????????????

Ken

toodive4:

Ken

Ken, I don't see a post that refers to no action taken. Could you please refer to which one you're talking about? Also, the only person that can answer your question is the Captain. I think he has already said all he needs to regarding the subject. We don't know what the Captain or crew was thinking when they saw these two rejects hauling up a shark. I'm sure utter shock would best describe the initial reaction. Let's just stop dragging this out. The Captain reported it, authorities are contacting the divers, and as I stated before they have witnesses on the boat to testify if needed.

It may have been MY post that he is refering to. I did say that I had considered calling marine fisheries but decided not to as there was no evidence and nothing could likely be done. To my knowledge, no one actually saw them shoot the sharks. The big one was never brought up, the smaller one was on board for a few minutes until the decks could be cleared of incoming divers.

Here are a couple of quotes that bother me...

This one from flounderer - the very first post -

"They surfaced with one small sand tiger and when they got on the boat they said "you should see the big guy who got away." The captain allowed them to bring the shark on board and called to find out if it was legal to keep it. After finding out it was not they tossed it overboard."

This indicates the Captain knew what happened was illegal and he decided to dispose of the evidence...

This one - also from flounderer's first post -

"My buddy who was on the boat has gone to the authorities but without a shark to see they are not going to pursue this incedent."

With all these witnesses - why would one be told nothing could be done - didn't know NC or Federal Law Enforcement in NC was so backwards incompetent?

Can someone clear these up... while the Captain has at this point done some of his duty - if I were the Captain of that Boat I would be ENSURING that these guys pay for what they did. Spearfishing is a fun activity - and one done conservatively to put food on the table is alright by me. This activity was a cowardly, unprovoked act by a couple of yahoo's that should have their c-cards pulled by the issuing agency and should be placed on a black0list and kept off of dive boats everywhere. The fact that there isn't more outrage here shows me that liberalism (acceptance of virtually anything as OK) is alive and kickin in NC...

Cape Fear Divers:
I would welcome any constructive suggestions.

Send me their :censored: names. They are back on land know. I figure I can make it a fair contest here. :bigun2:

A couple of years ago some fellows killed a sand tiger, on the Papoose I believe, The sharks left for a year or so, even after the dead shark was pulled miles away.

Thank you for the report, Jim. You seem to be a great captain, and if I'm ever back in NC, it sounds like you'd be a good charter to dive.

"The captain allowed them to bring the shark on board and called to find out if it was legal to keep it. After finding out it was not they tossed it overboard."

Far be it for me to speak to an incident where I wasn't there, but first of all this says "they tossed it overboard", which to me doesn't indicate the captain did it.

Second, whether he did or not, as the captain, while I may be wrong on laws, it seems like *he* could get into trouble for having a protected species aboard his boat. If he gets nailed on the way in, then it's potentially his butt on the line for these two yahoos.

It sounds like he did everything he could do, and is taking steps to ensure it doesn't happen in the future, like incorporating what should have been an unnecessary addendum to the briefing.

I don't spearfish, but I have plenty of friends who do and are responsible about it. I can't imagine just arbitrarily shooting at marine life, let alone the abject stupidity of shooting at sharks.

First of all, a belated thanks to Capt. Jim for his account and his handling of this incident. I've never dived with you, Jim, but you're now on my list of dive boats that I want to use. I regret that those two *******s chose to dive off of your boat and brought an obviously conscientious dive operator into this sort of mess.

I don't think anything needs to be said about the two divers. I don't spear (or hunt, for that matter) but I have lots of friends who do both and do them responsibly, and I hate to see these jerks leave a black mark on spearfishers.

Finally, Ken, I'm not going to waste more than a sentence or two saying that you owe Capt. Jim an apology. He took the time to explain to all of us the details of an infuriating situation, and he deserves respect for that. In case you haven't noticed, we tend to be pretty courteous and adult in our interactions here. Time to grow up and be angry with the people who deserve your anger...

Safe ascents to all,
Grier

GrierHPharmD:
I don't think anything needs to be said about the two divers. I don't spear (or hunt, for that matter) but I have lots of friends who do both and do them responsibly, and I hate to see these jerks leave a black mark on spearfishers.Grier

Well, since this happened in my backyard, and I know this issue is old....but just in case those shark killin googan are readin this:

I really don't appreciate them coming down from wherever and killing our sharks that I have dove with, and have photos of, and have never been attacked by. I don't appreciate having to listen to a pre-dive briefing that now includes, "There are sharks down here, don't shoot them with spearguns."

I really don't think it would be a good thing for me to see those 2 googans, and I have calmed way down since all this first happened. I just hope anyone that wants to kill something...anything so bad would not be allowed to buy a speargun. I used to be a spearfisherman, but I didn't shoot stuff that I couldn't eat. I have no problems whatsoever with responsible spearfishing, but that is not what these morons were doing. They just wanted to shoot something so bad, that they were probably shooting at everything that moved. I am glad I was not down on the Hyde that day, I am afraid of what I would have done. This killing to take trophy photos is of an era much left better in the past. Take a picture.....leave the fish.

Back
Top Bottom