Divers shoot Sand Tigers off Wilmington coast

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

flounderer:

This has been on the most disturbing things I've heard about in my 6 years of diving off the Wilmington coast. 99% of divers respect the marine environment, the 1% that do not should suffer the same fate as the sand tigers.
Pat
So we should spear humans that spear fish?

amazing.

Cape Fear Divers:
Hello all---This disgusting incident unfortunately took place on my boat.

Many of the remedies suggested here have already taken place. I have personally provided a full description of the incident to both State and federal authorities, along with the names and contact information of the two spearfishers. I understand that Officer Cornelius of the NC Marine Patrol has already been in contact with at least one of them, and that the federal NMFS investigator is at work on the both of them.

Serious consideration was given to beating the he** out of the guys on the dock, but clearer heads prevailed. They were given a serious tongue lashing by at least two members of the crew, and several passengers also expressed their disgust.

I have talked to many people about this, and so far everyone who knows what really happens agrees that we did all we could do. No one ever in our wildest dreams imagined that some idiot would go down and shoot sand tiger sharks. It was stupid and wrong on so many levels: wasteful, unsporting, illegal, dangerous to the shooter, and dangerous to the other divers. But, as Herman said, we had no idea what was going on until it was too late--and no way of knowing that i have been able to figure out. I suppose some of the other divers may have seen it happening, but i can't fault them for not getting between an injured shark and an idiot with a spear gun. Some on this list fault us for letting the dead shark on board. While it might have been a nice symbolic gesture to have fought the guy over it while he was on the ladder and made him leave it, we didn't have the luxury of allowing ourselves an immediate emotional reaction--and it would have made no difference to the shark at that point. Our first priority was to get the five foot shark off the swim platform so we could assist the other divers out of the water and to safety. Once the divers and the boat were secure, we dealt with it.

We keep the fishing regulations (full version) on board, as well as the hot line number for questionable calls. We have the size limits posted, with measuring devices provided and measurements required on any close calls. Unlike some dive charter boats, we have the full panoply of State and federal permits.

We are going to add to our dive briefing a warning not to shoot sharks (though we'll feel stupid saying it, and i've never heard it in anyone else's dive briefing, it's happened once, so . . . ). We are also going to post a prohibited species list--something i've never seen on a dive boat, but once burned, twice shy.

I am not a spearfisher myself, but i have several friends who are, and i come from a long line of land-based hunters, and my experience has always been that hunters are expected to and do know the laws and abide by them, as several posters here have said.

The great irony is that this would happen on my boat. You would have to look far and wide to find a diver more concerned about the marine environment than i am. The beauty, species diversity, and natural wonder of it all is why i dive. I don't kill things when i dive because i want it all to be there for the next diver, and for the ecosystem. I don't collect artifacts when i dive because i want it all to be there for the next diver. I have spent much of my life working to protect the environment, and have won awards for my work. Hell, i get pissed when a diver is careless with their fins and lets them brush the corals.

For these reasons, i seriously considered when starting this operation to prohibit spearfishing completely. I didn't, and until this incident, i have been gratified. All of the spearfishermen have been knowledgable, careful, and very selective in what they shoot--until now.

The affirming thing about the whole mess is the almost universal reaction of my crew, the divers aboard, and the dive community against this senseless killing of a marine predator. Divers care about the environment in which we dive.

I would welcome any constructive suggestions.

Hi Jim,

Now having heard the story from your side, I feel releived to some extent. I too appaud you for adding for coming forward.

Needless to say what's done is done. Please keep us posted on what happens to the idiots. I mentioed in a prior message, you sould include in your breifings that if anyone violates you your instrustons as to dicve safty and shooting marine life, their guns are gone, Jersey stlye, OVERBOARD!

They were obviously out of control and clueless.

Hunting underwater is a lot like hunting on land. The guns are DANGEROUS. The other divers on the boat felt threatened by the actions of the spearfishermen, and they shot possibly the worst thing they could have shot. I would not be surprised if they had bought the guns the day before.

greg1:
I am just curious, were these idiots aware of what they were doing or clueless???

Cape Fear Divers:

I commend you on coming here and telling your side of the story. You have earned my respect in doing so. Clearly you were put in a situation where you had to both curb you anger and remember that you had other divers to take care of.

I cannot think of anything you could have done different/better. Some have suggested throwing their guns overboard but I think that would have been a mistake. It would have opened you up to ridicule and possible legal action (however unfair) by the idiots in question.

I have been itching to come to the NC coast for a dive trip, I now know with whom I want to dive.

I look forward to driving down from Columbia, SC to meet you in person and dive on your boat.

EA

It's a damn good thing I wasn't the boat Captain. I would have refused to let the idiots back on the boat. Missing Divers? What Divers?

I dive and shoot sharks regularly - with a video camera. Magnificent creatures that deserve protection, unlike their malicious visitors the humans. Those two buffoons should have either been left behind by the Captain or brought on board with the sharks and turned over to the authorities. I'd like to know who the boat Captain was so I can be sure never to use his operation. Please let me know...

Ken Barrick
Baltimore

flounderer:
I'm sorry to report that a few divers diving off of one of the local charter boats went down on the Hyde last Saturday and speared 2 sand tiger sharks. This is the story that I have heard so far, I can only hope it is not all toatally true but its not looking that way. A buddy of mine was one of the passangers on the boat, came into the dive shop last weekend and told us that two divers went down and actually speared two sand tigers. My normally calm attitude has now been replaced by anger and discust. The story goes like this. Two divers went too the Cassimir and did not shot anything, by the time they rolled up on the Hyde they were "hell bent" on shooting something. They surfaced with one small sand tiger and when they got on the boat they said "you should see the big guy who got away." The captain allowed them to bring the shark on board and called to find out if it was legal to keep it. After finding out it was not they tossed it overboard. Now, sand tigers are a federally protected species meaning that it is a felony to kill one. I've been diving with these sharks regularly for the past 5 years and dove with them 3 days last week alone. They are like big puppy dogs that are very passive. The fact that the divers were allowed to take spearguns down on a wreck well known to be home to dozens of sharks amazes me. The fact that the shark was allowed to be brought on board blows my mind! My buddy who was on the boat has gone to the authorities but without a shark to see they are not going to pursue this incedent.

This has been on the most disturbing things I've heard about in my 6 years of diving off the Wilmington coast. 99% of divers respect the marine environment, the 1% that do not should suffer the same fate as the sand tigers.

I'll keep you updated when and or if I hear more. I'll be away from a computer until Sunday or Monday.

Pat

try reading the whole thread, dear.

I've asked for the Mods to shut this thread down. It's got a little out of hand. While I might have been the one to start it, I didn't want people to start boycotting anyone. The owners and operators of the charter didn't pull the trigger. Sometimes things happen that are out of others control. Sometimes you can look back on an incedent and learn what was done wrong and make sure it doesn't happen in the future. Just please respect the marine environment.

Pat

Somehow murder of divers, even idiots like these, seems a little overboard. Please read the owner of the boats responce. He was on board and handled the situation as best he could. He has a duty to his other customers and for the safety of all his divers, morons or not. I happened to be on this charter and the situation was handled as best as they could.

Out of hand? I don't see it that way. Sure there are a couple of over excited posts but so far most of the reasonable responces support Jim and his crew. If anything, it has shown most of us just how concerned Jim is for quality of his operation and his willingness to respond to problems.

....On second thought......everyone boycott him, leaves more room for me. :)

It's a post like this one from Jim that exemplifies why it is important not to rush to judgement of others until both sides are heard. Prior to Jim posting there were more than a few judgements basically throwing he and his operation under the bus, but since it, some have retracted their comments or made nicer ones.

Jim - Thanks for standing up and setting the record clear!

Cape Fear Divers:

Many of the remedies suggested here have already taken place. I have personally provided a full description of the incident to both State and federal authorities, along with the names and contact information of the two spearfishers. I understand that Officer Cornelius of the NC Marine Patrol has already been in contact with at least one of them, and that the federal NMFS investigator is at work on the both of them.

Serious consideration was given to beating the he** out of the guys on the dock, but clearer heads prevailed. They were given a serious tongue lashing by at least two members of the crew, and several passengers also expressed their disgust.

I have talked to many people about this, and so far everyone who knows what really happens agrees that we did all we could do. No one ever in our wildest dreams imagined that some idiot would go down and shoot sand tiger sharks. It was stupid and wrong on so many levels: wasteful, unsporting, illegal, dangerous to the shooter, and dangerous to the other divers. But, as Herman said, we had no idea what was going on until it was too late--and no way of knowing that i have been able to figure out. I suppose some of the other divers may have seen it happening, but i can't fault them for not getting between an injured shark and an idiot with a spear gun. Some on this list fault us for letting the dead shark on board. While it might have been a nice symbolic gesture to have fought the guy over it while he was on the ladder and made him leave it, we didn't have the luxury of allowing ourselves an immediate emotional reaction--and it would have made no difference to the shark at that point. Our first priority was to get the five foot shark off the swim platform so we could assist the other divers out of the water and to safety. Once the divers and the boat were secure, we dealt with it.

We keep the fishing regulations (full version) on board, as well as the hot line number for questionable calls. We have the size limits posted, with measuring devices provided and measurements required on any close calls. Unlike some dive charter boats, we have the full panoply of State and federal permits.

We are going to add to our dive briefing a warning not to shoot sharks (though we'll feel stupid saying it, and i've never heard it in anyone else's dive briefing, it's happened once, so . . . ). We are also going to post a prohibited species list--something i've never seen on a dive boat, but once burned, twice shy.

I am not a spearfisher myself, but i have several friends who are, and i come from a long line of land-based hunters, and my experience has always been that hunters are expected to and do know the laws and abide by them, as several posters here have said.

The great irony is that this would happen on my boat. You would have to look far and wide to find a diver more concerned about the marine environment than i am. The beauty, species diversity, and natural wonder of it all is why i dive. I don't kill things when i dive because i want it all to be there for the next diver, and for the ecosystem. I don't collect artifacts when i dive because i want it all to be there for the next diver. I have spent much of my life working to protect the environment, and have won awards for my work. Hell, i get pissed when a diver is careless with their fins and lets them brush the corals.

For these reasons, i seriously considered when starting this operation to prohibit spearfishing completely. I didn't, and until this incident, i have been gratified. All of the spearfishermen have been knowledgable, careful, and very selective in what they shoot--until now.

The affirming thing about the whole mess is the almost universal reaction of my crew, the divers aboard, and the dive community against this senseless killing of a marine predator. Divers care about the environment in which we dive.

I would welcome any constructive suggestions.

Back
Top Bottom