Divers shoot Sand Tigers off Wilmington coast

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

herman:
Somehow murder of divers, even idiots like these, seems a little overboard. Please read the owner of the boats responce

flounderer:
Wilmington coast. 99% of divers respect the marine environment, the 1% that do not should suffer the same fate as the sand tigers.

I guess sarcassm cannot be seen over a web post.

Cape Fear Divers:
I would welcome any constructive suggestions.

Thanks for the post Jim. I thank you on many levels. Firstly, to keep this from being a witch hunt against the operator. These a-holes are the problem. Just because you gave them a ride does not implicate you.

The second thanks comes from your account of the many other spear fisherman that you have had on your boat and the comments about them doing the right and proper thing. I would assume the number of true hunters to be much greater then these two morons.

Regards,
Joe

flounderer:
I guess sarcassm cannot be seen over a web post.

I suppose it can't. When I read your post about wanting the divers who did this dead I pretty much discounted everything else you wrote. Only when the operator came in and verified it did I believe it.

I'm surprised more didn't jump on you for what appeared to be a very extremist viewpoint.

Al Mialkovsky:
I suppose it can't. When I read your post about wanting the divers who did this dead I pretty much discounted everything else you wrote. Only when the operator came in and verified it did I believe it.

I'm surprised more didn't jump on you for what appeared to be a very extremist viewpoint.

I'm far from an extremist, they should all be shot. I probably let my emotions get the best of me on my initial post. I was pissed at the two idiots who did it.

cmalinowski:
It can with the use of smilies.. :crafty:

I'm far from an extremist, they should all be shot. :crafty: I probably let my emotions get the best of me on my initial post. I was pissed at the two idiots who did it.

flounderer:
I'm far from an extremist, they should all be shot. :crafty: I probably let my emotions get the best of me on my initial post. I was pissed at the two idiots who did it.
Been there. Done that. Got the t-shirt and the scars :)

Who removed my post????

I'm not an extremist - just a realist. I say we as humans think we're better than all the other creatures god created... which in and of itself proves we are not. We humans cry foul when a shark bites one of us in the surf and in years past we hunted down and killed every shark we could find to make up for that one inadvertant attack on mankind.

Consider this - my point here is that these divers deserve whatever they get. My first choice would be jail, but since the authorities seem uninterested in acting without the "shark" as evidence, I don't see that happening. Then I have to ask you this - If 6 witnesses saw me leave a diver behind but the body was never recovered - do you think they would prosecute me? You better bet they would prosecute me. With all these witnesses including a USCG licensed Captain having seen this crime committed, the only reason these two won't be prosecuted is because the Captain and the Crew are not taking the appropriate actions. If the Captain knew the body of the shark was required to prosecute, then he should have kept it onboard or at minumum had the two dummies get their picture taken with it holding their spearguns and turned it over to the authorities. It is obvious the Captain did not care enough to fully turnh the screws into these two men. That I have a problem with. No he couldn't have stopped them from shooting the sharks - but he could have assured these two paid the price!

Ken Barrick

flounderer:

I'am NAUI Master Diver and I have been diving since 1968. I carry a speargun on my dives but will only use it for fish that I can eat. I have nor reason to spear a shark. I do carry a BECO bangstick (444 marlin) or 12 ga for self-protection while diveing for bull sharks in the area of Fort Walton and Pensacola/Fl. These two idiots should be prosecuted and placed in federal prison for the max time. These clowns give the honest spearfishing community a bad reputation, while the rest of us are trying to improve our image to the public.

I think the Captain did take the appropriate action after he got the other divers safely aboard the boat. If you read his post you'll see that the divers who shot the tigers have already been contacted by the authorities. I'm sure they have more than enough witnesses on the boat who could testify as to the spearfishermens' actions. Hopefully, the Captain will update us on the disposition of this matter. Lets not get too emotional about what we would have done if we were on the boat. If things do get out of hand discussing this topic we can take Pat's request to close the thread.

Cape Fear Divers:
Many of the remedies suggested here have already taken place. I have personally provided a full description of the incident to both State and federal authorities, along with the names and contact information of the two spearfishers. I understand that Officer Cornelius of the NC Marine Patrol has already been in contact with at least one of them, and that the federal NMFS investigator is at work on the both of them.

I'm sure the majority of people's fear of sharks can probably be dated back to the first release of the movie "Jaws." LOL Last night I saw on the news where people in California are getting attacked by sea lions while in the water. Ummm.....I guess the swimmers shouldn't have thought before barrelling right out in the middle of a group of sea lions so they could "frolic" with them. People just don't think. Bottom line is we are visiting their world so we can observe and explore...not aggravate, torture or play with the marine life. just my .02

BTW, if I'm ever in the area I'd certainly dive with Cape Fear Divers.

Mel

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom