Divers shoot Sand Tigers off Wilmington coast

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

flounderer

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm sorry to report that a few divers diving off of one of the local charter boats went down on the Hyde last Saturday and speared 2 sand tiger sharks. This is the story that I have heard so far, I can only hope it is not all toatally true but its not looking that way. A buddy of mine was one of the passangers on the boat, came into the dive shop last weekend and told us that two divers went down and actually speared two sand tigers. My normally calm attitude has now been replaced by anger and discust. The story goes like this. Two divers went too the Cassimir and did not shot anything, by the time they rolled up on the Hyde they were "hell bent" on shooting something. They surfaced with one small sand tiger and when they got on the boat they said "you should see the big guy who got away." The captain allowed them to bring the shark on board and called to find out if it was legal to keep it. After finding out it was not they tossed it overboard. Now, sand tigers are a federally protected species meaning that it is a felony to kill one. I've been diving with these sharks regularly for the past 5 years and dove with them 3 days last week alone. They are like big puppy dogs that are very passive. The fact that the divers were allowed to take spearguns down on a wreck well known to be home to dozens of sharks amazes me. The fact that the shark was allowed to be brought on board blows my mind! My buddy who was on the boat has gone to the authorities but without a shark to see they are not going to pursue this incedent.

This has been on the most disturbing things I've heard about in my 6 years of diving off the Wilmington coast. 99% of divers respect the marine environment, the 1% that do not should suffer the same fate as the sand tigers.

I'll keep you updated when and or if I hear more. I'll be away from a computer until Sunday or Monday.

Pat

I find the sand tiger shark listed as a candidated for federal protection. Do you have a link to any updates?

There's nothing wrong with spearing on a wreck because it's known to have sharks on it. That describes just about any wreck.

It is, however, appalling that they speared these sharks. There is absolutely no excuse to shoot anything unless you know the regulations of the area you are hunting in.

Did your friend report this to the local law enforcement? If not, I'd encourage you to encourage him to do so.

Doc Intrepid:
If true, thats really disturbing. Its also disturbing that the boat captain didn't make more of an issue over it with the two morons who speared the sand tigers.
Exactly what I was thinking Doc. The Captains should take it on themselves to try to protect the enviornment. After all it is them making money running charters out to the wrecks to see the sharks. Two weekends ago I watched a charter I was on drop an anchor square in the middle of the wreck that was covered in coral and marine life. I was disgusted. Them spearing these sharks disgusts me as well.

Matt

First, it's guys like this who give spearfishermen a bad rep. Do not place all or most of us in the same category as these dispicable divers. Having worked on or around both fish and dive charter boats my entire life, it is ultimately the divers responsibility to be aware of the federal, state and local laws pertaining to aquatic life and the means by which they attempt to take some of it. The captian "should" have, upon seeing divers bringing the spearguns aboard, mentioned a few of the more prevelant ones pertaining to the wrecks they were visiting and then reminded them that if in question, DON'T DO IT. I keep a most recent copy of the regs in my bag that goes on every trip with me. I mention this to anyone diving with a spear gun and most are eager to take a look at it. The captian, should've known better than to bring the shark on board and should have reported it to the regulating authorities.

Now to the comment regarding tying to wrecks: While it is a fact that most NC dive boats either grapple or actually tie a hook to these wrecks, I must bring a few points to light. First, these wrecks do not have mooring balls or other means of permanant anchorage. It is not feasible for the conditions we dive here. Next, any knowledgable captian or mate will tie to the same location, time after time after time. First b/c they know it's a secure and safe location that will hold in rough conditions and also because they realize the environmental impact of using a different place everytime. While I understand your concern for the growth on our wrecks, understand these guys are out there to make a living and provide divers like many who frequent this board, the opportunity to enjoy the beautiful wrecks off our coast. They too realilze that it's their occupational welfare thats reliant upon these resources and are for the most part good stuards of the ocean. Are there a few that are not, sure, but so are there in everything we do in life. It's all about regulated use and moderation of our resources. That's how we can make them last longer and still be able to enjoy them. The only way to negate the impact is prohibit the use of the resource. We can however minimize the impact and still enjoy it by using methods such as those I mentioned above.

OK, I'm off my soapbox. You'll have to forgive me as I feel very strongly in use, not misuse of all resources.

- coop

Just my two breathes about the topic.

I can see tying to a wreck. In 80+ feet of water it is hard to put out a sufficient amount of line to keep the boat from pulling the anchor (rule of thumb is 7 times the depth according to the coast guard). This is why many grapple to the wreck then tie off when they go down.

In respect to the guys spearing sand tiger sharks. I've got my speargun... anybody up for a first ever underwater firing line? That is just stupid. I don't mind for people to come down and enjoy our coastal waters. Being a surfer and resident of Topsail Island I have had to learn to deal with tourist and their thought processes. If you don't know what your doing or the rules on how to do it DON'T DO IT. This not only applies to surfing in the better areas (i.e. the piers and constant outside breaks) but it applies to diving and spearfishing. I don't go inland and take craps on your front lawn and you shouldn't do this in our ocean. The fact that you didn't know it was illegal to spear a sand tiger even further proves you have no business with a speargun. Pretty soon there will be advocates for speargun control and we'll be in the same mess we are with real guns; a small minority messing things up for the law abiding majority.

This really disgusts me as well. The sharks are one of the biggest reasons I'm looking forward to diving the NC wrecks. Unfortunatley, I have yet to board a NC dive boat for any diving (going to remedy that in August), but do they give any kind of briefings to the divers spearfishing? I'm assuming that the majority of spearfisherman may not need a briefing, but for the witless individuals it might be helpful if they know the "dos" and "don'ts." Also, I know it should be common sense not to spear a shark, but for some.... good sense isn't so common.

coop1:
First, it's guys like this who give spearfishermen a bad rep. Do not place all or most of us in the same category as these dispicable divers. Having worked on or around both fish and dive charter boats my entire life, it is ultimately the divers responsibility to be aware of the federal, state and local laws pertaining to aquatic life and the means by which they attempt to take some of it. The captian "should" have, upon seeing divers bringing the spearguns aboard, mentioned a few of the more prevelant ones pertaining to the wrecks they were visiting and then reminded them that if in question, DON'T DO IT. I keep a most recent copy of the regs in my bag that goes on every trip with me. I mention this to anyone diving with a spear gun and most are eager to take a look at it. The captian, should've known better than to bring the shark on board and should have reported it to the regulating authorities.

- coop

Well said, Coop.

As the acting 2005 President of the Team SpearBoard Spearfishing Club in Florida, I can assure those of you who are unaware that the majority of responsible spearfisherman would not act in this manner.

If the story went down exactly how it was portrayed, those guys should have been prosectuted to the fullest extent of the law.

Scott

Doc Intrepid:
If true, thats really ignorant behavior. Its also disturbing that the boat captain didn't make more of an issue over it with the two morons who speared the sand tigers.

These idiots should have the c-cards pulled and their gear taken. The captain is also at fault big time. As soon as Ren and Stimpy surfaced and brought the shark aboard, he should have not only lecture them like a drill sergeant, he should have tossed their guns over board!!!

If I were on board, I would have gone nuts. I have made several trips to NC, and the highlight is to see the sharks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom