Divers experience Cold Water upwelling in Florida; Video

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dunno but I'll bet Al Gore will tell you it's your fault for swimming around blowing CO2 bubbles all over the place.

That's pretty darn cool!

I dislike thermoclines, At one of our local dive spots we have a canyon and has a very abrupt water change. When you swim through it, you drop down to low 50 degree water. I would welcome 60-70 degree thermoclines.

I dove West Palm yesterday and it was near perfect. Top to bottom vis, water temp around 82 and lots of fish (none dead). The current was running strong so we didn't dive a wreck but other than that it was great.

Friday, the water off Jupiter/Juno was 58F and the viz barely 25 feet . . even at 35 feet, it was in the low 70sF.

Friday, August 6, 2010 the waters off Jupiter/Juno FL experienced an upwelling which continued through yesterday . . 58F at 80FT or less with 25FT of viz. Few fish along the reef moving about and even a large loggerhead seemed stunned, barely moving as I approached. Lobsters seemed less affected. With a 5mil wetsuit (but no hood) I was shivering after 20 minutes and settled for one bug in the bag before heading up to warmer water.

Hi Ocean Rehab

Any chance you still have the video of the 2010 upwelling that you posted?

I was with some friends in Jupiter yesterday and experienced something similar although not quite drastic. I remembered this old thread and came looking for the video to share with them.

Yesterday in Jupiter the surface temp was 82ish, but below 60ft the water was as low as 67deg. The squirrel-fish were all out of their holes. I thumbed my second dive because of temperature, I was shivering within 15 minutes in my old stretched out 3mm.

Hi Ocean Rehab

Any chance you still have the video of the 2010 upwelling that you posted?

I was with some friends in Jupiter yesterday and experienced something similar although not quite drastic. I remembered this old thread and came looking for the video to share with them.

Yesterday in Jupiter the surface temp was 82ish, but below 60ft the water was as low as 67deg. The squirrel-fish were all out of their holes. I thumbed my second dive because of temperature, I was shivering within 15 minutes in my old stretched out 3mm.

I remember that
The Video was taken while Diving on Abernethy's D.O. Boat, whomever took the video also removed it from the web.
Sorry.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom