Divers experience Cold Water upwelling in Florida; Video

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ocean Rehab

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Divers experience Cold Water upwelling in Florida; Video shot in PBC.

July 2010 aboard Abernathy's:

LINK <<click there or watch on YouTube below.
YouTube - West Palm Beach's fragile reef ecosystem

Synopsis by Dr. Janet Phipps PhD. after reviewing the Video:

“William,

Apparently our “annual July upwelling” occurred this weekend. I was diving in Boca on Saturday and fortunately did not experience those temperatures! As to the fish…they were cold shocked. These upwellings can occur fairly rapidly. Yes, upwelling water is nutrient enriched..it is not eutrophied. Also, the cold water of upwellings can often hold higher levels of oxygen than warmer waters. The video showed cold shocked parrotfish…there was probably a really cold diver behind the camera, too! JP"

I dive this area almost every weekend...but I missed last weekend. I've never seen the fish that paralyzed before...amazing footage.

Not sure if this may be related, but we were diving in pompano on july 3rd and the water was a nice 80-85 degrees. It was about a 60-70 ft reef and all of a sudden I ran into this cold water current which was prob close to 60-65 degrees. I had never came across anything like this before but you could actually see where the water was colder, for a minute I thought it was my mask but then realized it was the water when I swam thru it. Upon moving a few feet above it or to the side of it the water was warm again and you could actually see the fish swim around and avoid the colder area. Just thought i'd share this weird experience wasnt sure if its related.

That is nuts. The footage was great. I would love to see something like that.

Not sure if this may be related, but we were diving in pompano on july 3rd and the water was a nice 80-85 degrees. It was about a 60-70 ft reef and all of a sudden I ran into this cold water current which was prob close to 60-65 degrees. I had never came across anything like this before but you could actually see where the water was colder, for a minute I thought it was my mask but then realized it was the water when I swam thru it. Upon moving a few feet above it or to the side of it the water was warm again and you could actually see the fish swim around and avoid the colder area. Just thought i'd share this weird experience wasnt sure if its related.

See the rippling, mirage appearance of the thermocline is pretty cool, huh?

You can stick your hand through it and feel the warmth then take your hand out and feel the cold or vice versa.

Every June/July I dive in Bali. There are thermoclines and cold water upwellings around Nusa Penida. The first time was a surprise, but now I look for them because thats where the Mola Mola hang out.

I was in West Palm this past weekend. I was shocked to see the reef completely empty after seeing it so full of life on Saturday. I only felt a 6 degree change in temp at the spot I dove both days. Sad to see dead fish everywhere...floating on the water and on the bottom of the reef

I spent this past weekend diving in Boynton Beach, FL and booooy it was cooooooooold. On the surface and up until about 40ft water temp was 85 degrees.. cool beans except that reef is at 60 and layers of warm(er) water were only a couple of feet deep and rest of water was as cold as 72 degrees in places.

On the other hand I was getting a total kick out of the "shimmer" effect... I will be posting a video later this week in the boynton beach thread for all to see.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom