DiveRite XT1 (1st stage, RG-5100) & XT2 (2nd stage, RG-5200) service kit availability

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

muchogringo

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi folks,

I am probably going to be purchasing either the above mentioned Dive Rite regs or a set of HOGs in the near future. Easy access to service kits is important to me, and I know both brands make their service kits readily available, however, although I see lots of DR service kits for their older(?) regs (e.g. RG1208, RG3500, RG4500), I can't seem to find service kits for what appear to be their current XT1 and XT2 models. Does anybody know if those kits are indeed available?

Cheers!

Thank you for that, I searched for XT1 and XT2 but not simply XT. It figures that as soon as I want a DR reg set they make the service kits harder to get AND the shop I DM for drops them as a supplier. Hopefully they follow through on offering service classes to consumers. I would take the HOG service class and go that route but I'm not tech certified and don't have the funds to start down that path yet (I believe that's a prerequisite to take the HOG service class, right?).

Thank you for that, I searched for XT1 and XT2 but not simply XT. It figures that as soon as I want a DR reg set they make the service kits harder to get AND the shop I DM for drops them as a supplier. Hopefully they follow through on offering service classes to consumers. I would take the HOG service class and go that route but I'm not tech certified and don't have the funds to start down that path yet (I believe that's a prerequisite to take the HOG service class, right?).

Yes, unless they have recently change their I policy I believe you are correct.

What certs do you have so far? I am a HOG reg tech instructor.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Yes, unless they have recently change their I policy I believe you are correct.

From my memory, the class is offered though TDI and the prerequisite is any TDI certification. So a recreational nitrox certification would do. However if the OP works for a shop then I don't understand why he doesn't offer to help out the technician for free to get experience.

---------- Post added February 28th, 2014 at 06:06 PM ----------

Dive Rite and HOG regulators are made by the same company using a design similar to Apeks. There are plenty of Apeks manuals and even a slide show explaining how to service regulators. If you are serious about reg repair then download the Apeks manuals (Zeagle's are similar and their manuals may be beneficial) and read them. Then purchase the recommended tools, an older reg, and a service kit. Then practice on the reg.

From my memory, the class is offered though TDI and the prerequisite is any TDI certification. So a recreational nitrox certification would do. However if the OP works for a shop then I don't understand why he doesn't offer to help out the technician for free to get experience.

Dive Rite and HOG regulators are made by the same company using a design similar to Apeks. There are plenty of Apeks manuals and even a slide show explaining how to service regulators. If you are serious about reg repair then download the Apeks manuals (Zeagle's are similar and their manuals may be beneficial) and read them. Then purchase the recommended tools, an older reg, and a service kit. Then practice on the reg.

On a side note, not to start a war or anything but I find it hard to understand why or how a TDI rec Nx cert makes someone suitable or deserving to attend a service workshop, actually any diving certification. I'm not sure what one has to do with other. Of course there may well be a very good reason behind this.

What certs do you have so far? I am a HOG reg tech instructor.

I'm a PADI Divemaster with all those pre-reqs, as well as EAN and certified. No more than that yet but I am certain deco/tech training is in my near future (as in the next couple of years or so). I've been less than satisfied with my current regs and want to replace them with the regs I'll be using for a doubles rig. I'm also a mechanical engineer, if that counts for anything.

It's a very small shop that I occasionally DM for, I doubt they're in a position where they would want to sponsor training for a new equipment tech. At least that's just what I assume, maybe I should actually talk to them. I do like the idea of getting some old regs and service manuals and practicing, I'll definitely look into that.

On a side note, not to start a war or anything but I find it hard to understand why or how a TDI rec Nx cert makes someone suitable or deserving to attend a service workshop, actually any diving certification. I'm not sure what one has to do with other. Of course there may well be a very good reason behind this.

The requirement is that you possess a tech certification, it just happens that SDI/TDI considers NX a tech cert. Intro to tech will also work. I believe the requirement was a sort of compromise as to not totally piss of the industry.

Not just any nitrox. TDI nitrox that still teaches tables, all calculations, and more than just set your computer to this and dive, there are some other agency programs that teach nitrox this way as well. Also HOG considers any overhead training to meet the standards. As this is a TDI course some pre reqs had to be chosen. It was felt that someone persuing tech training would also have the discipline and attention to detail required. Whether one agrees with that or not it is what is required.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom