New Dacor Extreme 1st and Pacer XLE 2nd..in need of a service kit for both!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sea Rat,

Thank you so very much. You are a man of means! Very informative info as the boost engineering concept. But how many divers actually took this regulator more than 100 feet?

All this info is so very helpful, thank you again for sending it. If you ever hear of 960XLE or 960 Extreme service kit parts, please shoot me a heads up.

Just curious, do you service all of your old vintage regulators?

PS. great quote in your signature.

Cheers Ric

I've found my Dacor 960 Extreme, and attached some newer Dacor second stages that my LDS gave to me. They won't sell them, and there are no replacement parts as that has been shut down. But this is really a nice regulator, and I'll be using it soon.

What I've found out is that the newer Dacor regulators were modular, so that the first stage from the Enduro will also work in the 960 Extreme. So think about picking up one of the newer Dacor first stages for spare parts and rebuilding. They are very inexpensive, but also very good.

SeaRat

Attachments

• IMG_3462.JPG
    IMG_3462.JPG
    95.9 KB · Views: 92
  • UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_4155.jpg
    UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_4155.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 89
  • s4BSNIXjQlK7Su1rXLN+oQ_thumb_4156.jpg
    s4BSNIXjQlK7Su1rXLN+oQ_thumb_4156.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 106
I've found my Dacor 960 Extreme, and attached some newer Dacor second stages that my LDS gave to me. They won't sell them, and there are no replacement parts as that has been shut down. But this is really a nice regulator, and I'll be using it soon.

What I've found out is that the newer Dacor regulators were modular, so that the first stage from the Enduro will also work in the 960 Extreme. So think about picking up one of the newer Dacor first stages for spare parts and rebuilding. They are very inexpensive, but also very good.

SeaRat
I remember when parts were not being made anymore, just what was left in stock. I got my 950 done and it took a while for shop to attain kit. I asked if I could buy extra kit, then next time I would give them the kit I saved to do next service by their tech. Nope all remaining was destined for government dive equipment I was told. Maybe there people using scan 3d part to 3d print clone🤫. I am not suggesting though. Seats with rubber parts I don't believe you can have multiple thread material to make all the variations of what parts are made of for a service kit. I'm thinking of a reg that has a second stage with adjustable knob for inhalation. Not just the surface to uw two positions. I understand the cost for regs that have the feature do have you pay a premium. Not very many are made this way. I just vaguely remember in 80 trying a Scuba Pro reg like this in training at a college pool.

SeaRat
Yes, the Extreme and Quantum Series I found really as remarkable designs.
The Reg Module is probably unique, but it made the 1st pretty heavy.
Still I like those old Dacor designs.

Attachments

• DacorExtreme Reg Module.pdf
    280.1 KB · Views: 113
  • 20190124_191704.jpg
    20190124_191704.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 95
Watching this thread because I have a couple of decor regulators since the late 80’s. They both breathe wonderfully, but without service, I’m uneasy using them. My understanding is the service parts just are not available.

I remember when parts were not being made anymore, just what was left in stock. I got my 950 done and it took a while for shop to attain kit. I asked if I could buy extra kit, then next time I would give them the kit I saved to do next service by their tech. Nope all remaining was destined for government dive equipment I was told. Maybe there people using scan 3d part to 3d print clone🤫. I am not suggesting though. Seats with rubber parts I don't believe you can have multiple thread material to make all the variations of what parts are made of for a service kit. I'm thinking of a reg that has a second stage with adjustable knob for inhalation. Not just the surface to uw two positions. I understand the cost for regs that have the feature do have you pay a premium. Not very many are made this way. I just vaguely remember in 80 trying a Scuba Pro reg like this in training at a college pool.
Actually, you can get a very good Dacor regulator with these features for very little investment.

1662929471970.jpeg

This second stage has the knob you talked about, and a vane which affects the Venturi, and so it attacks the work of breathing on two levels. The exhalation port is variable too (move it around to where you want it).

Now, what divers are not taught is a bit of a secret in the diving industry. These regulator first stages, both the diaphram and piston types (and Dacor’s newer ones appear to be a combination of both types) are held in the “open” position until pressurized. That means there is, and can be, no wear until the regulator first stage is pressurized. What can happen is that over time the rubber parts, including the O-rings, can get hardened and loose their ability to be flexible. Seats can become brittle too. This Is why in the 1990s the diving industry started marketing their regulator yearly inspection/rebuild kits. But they were removing and replacing perfectly good (most of the time) parts from the regulator. Yes, regulators are “life support equipment,” which need to be maintained. But they are also not really complex. The newer Dacor modular designs do need special equipment to access them (see the repair manual link above). Regulators are also pretty much fail-safe, in that if they fail, they will leak air, not shut it off.

The second stage has pressure on the seat, which is why Dacor came out with its “Purge Button Depressor” that fit over the second stage cover and placed pressure on the purge button, which took all the pressure off the low pressure seat in the second stage, thereby allowing it not to take a “set” and to last longer.

I have two rebuild kits, one for my Sherwood Magnam Blizzard regulator, and one for my older Pacer regulator. I have not used them either.

SeaRat

Actually, you can get a very good Dacor regulator with these features for very little investment.

View attachment 743155

This second stage has the knob you talked about, and a vane which affects the Venturi, and so it attacks the work of breathing on two levels. The exhalation port is variable too (move it around to where you want it).

Now, what divers are not taught is a bit of a secret in the diving industry. These regulator first stages, both the diaphram and piston types (and Dacor’s newer ones appear to be a combination of both types) are held in the “open” position until pressurized. That means there is, and can be, no wear until the regulator first stage is pressurized. What can happen is that over time the rubber parts, including the O-rings, can get hardened and loose their ability to be flexible. Seats can become brittle too. This Is why in the 1990s the diving industry started marketing their regulator yearly inspection/rebuild kits. But they were removing and replacing perfectly good (most of the time) parts from the regulator. Yes, regulators are “life support equipment,” which need to be maintained. But they are also not really complex. The newer Dacor modular designs do need special equipment to access them (see the repair manual link above). Regulators are also pretty much fail-safe, in that if they fail, they will leak air, not shut it off.

The second stage has pressure on the seat, which is why Dacor came out with its “Purge Button Depressor” that fit over the second stage cover and placed pressure on the purge button, which took all the pressure off the low pressure seat in the second stage, thereby allowing it not to take a “set” and to last longer.

I have two rebuild kits, one for my Sherwood Magnam Blizzard regulator, and one for my older Pacer regulator. I have not used them either.

SeaRat
In the time since my post I realized that I might have been looking for explanation of the two, the lever and knob. I also have realized that the venturi assist lever I have with plus an minus, is adjustable. It can be not just an on or off. The turbulence effect defeats the assist when turned negative. It probably is not anywhere linear as adjusting the knob on some. The knob I suspect if right is a spring loaded valve opening. Since I have thought I might not have adjusted externally the user lever much, gonna try while diving underwater and see, maybe I won't bother looking at other to buy. I guess I did not get really all the information I was asking about at a shop I was at years ago, or just misunderstood. I'll see.

Forgot to mention on the 950 the swivel an also my addition a swivel elbow at second stage was great. Less jaw strength used to hold mouth piece. I thought did may near 20 years with it. Maybe correct myself, it was through arrangement with LDS an Dacor a replacement. My friend had put in rinse tank on boat without the 1st stage dust cap on. Shop never could fix it, so they did this. The Aqualung Titan of two vintages, I used to use a pony bottle backup, I hope keep going. Parts available.

I have 2 DACOR 900 first stages and 2 DACOR Pacer Totally Balanced and XL that I still dive with.
Dacor 2nd stages use a standard seat and 2 standard o-rings, so service kits are no problem.
Dacor first stage, o-rings are standard, diaphragm can be cut from an 2 mm EPDM sheet. Seat is a little hard to get.
By the way, I love that Purge Button Depressor.

Hey guys ... I just finished rebuilding my 960 with an XL and XLP second stages. These are such great regs and they breathe so well. I've found the seats/poppets are available from Trident as well as diaphraghms, LP seats and other useful parts but it seems you can't buy direct unless you're one of their distributors so I located a shop in Grants Pass, Ore. called Coral Sea Scuba and they're also on eBay as Diveguy112 and they have new seats/poppets for the 900, 950, 060 and several other flavors of the DACOR brand. Prices aren't bad either. Anyway, just my $0.02 worth ....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom