Diver Training Rip-off - Divers Beware!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Again people, my post was saying simply we will not turn our backs on people wanting help, and I warned them as well. If you re-read my post I said just that. I was not making any reference to the subject of XXX [red]vs[/red] YYY...

I was simple setting the record straight that people CAN come to all of us for help in resolving a situation. Nothing more, nothing less... I only said what you read in my post. I wasn't trying to sneak an opinion on anything else as I know neither of the persons in question nor know the situation at hand. Only that we will not close our doors to anyone with a legit concern.

Hope this clear things up ...

ps. please keep mainstream post public for all to share in, it can be a nightmare to try to answer all these PM's when that's what the forum is for.

=-)

And as King Neptune said, we can't pass judgement on either A.K.A or Biggs. For all we know Cecil's (the ex-manager) soon-to-be ex-wife had something to do with it. Or, for all we know, Texas Diver could be writing to us as a permanent resident of San Quinten. We just don't know the truth.

The truth can be a difficult thing to discover.

That being said, there is a degree of authenticity in Texas Diver's story. The original post was a little passionate; but subsequent post have made the complaint worthy of looking into and figuring on how to best do so.

Unfortunately, we will probably never hear from the other side, unless they are one of the responsible few. By giving a blanket benefit of doubt (which was discussed by some) we would be doing a diservice to the diving comunity. In this particular incident, a lot of people where willing to lend a hand to find a resolution without pointing fingers.

I would like to agree with King Neptune and others that this is a place you can come with a legitimate grievance and get advice and maybe even help. I certainly have gotten a lot of useful advice on this board. (Thanks everyone!) If complaints like Texas Diver's can be authenticated or discounted (either way gets the job done) we could have a positive impact on the community that congregates here.

We just need to be VERY careful about passing judgement, and passionate about making diving a fun, enjoyable past time. Which in turn results in successful businesses.

The industry is large enough that we should expect snafus; some people even shared stories of similar problems. Many dive instructors are somewhat nomadic, so maybe it is par for the course that 10 out of every 1,000 "C" cards gets lost somewhere between the cracks. If it happened to me, this is the first place I would come to find out what to do. There is just a ton of experience in here.

Note to self: Save all paperwork!

Okay, I know it was just a supposition but what on earth would I need with a "C" card in prison. If they let those guys go on scuba outings I actually might want in (not really!)lol. So I guess it's Ripley's Believe It or Not: I say I am a stable, hardworking adoptive mother of three wonderful children, two from South Korea and one from the Philippines. In fact, my dive buddy and I will be doing some practice diving in West Texas at San Solomon Springs, Balmorhea next month on April 9 and 10. Balmorhea has the clearest water in Texas and it's a great place for novices like us to practice our skills before we hit the ocean again. Anyone else out there who may also be diving Balmorhea that weekend is welcome to see and talk with us there. I'll be the blue-eyed blonde with the big smile. Then you can see for yourself we are fun loving and quite normal (well almost normal...lol).

Anyway, I guess it is very hard for me to prove who I am and that my gripe is legitimate. This is the first time I have ever posted a complaint like this. I was very frustrated with being ignored by the shop and found this site quite by accident. As I said before though, I am glad I found it. As for my "C" card problem I am still awaiting the "C" cards and because I have generated all this commotion (I've heard of the power of the internet but, believe me I had no idea!)I will let y'all know how it turns out. The owner/trainer has said he will send in the paperwork (that was not sent in previously) and I should have my cards soon. I am, quite frankly, hoping he was not just patronizing me to put me off a while longer. It is quite sad, but I just don't trust what I hear now.
Laura

Laura, I'm sure Mattiedread was just exaggerating the fact that all we know about each other is only what we all put forth on these boards when in reality we could be vastly different than we appear...and not to mean anything against you personally. Does that makes sense?

I'm glad to hear the whole thing is moving forward and being resolved. I think you put forth your side of the problem fairly. You didn't resort to name calling and mindless accusations, just the facts as you knew them.

We're glad you found us and hope you stick around and join the 'family'.

Sure, it does make sense. As I said, this is the first time I have ever posted a complaint. I didn't really know what to expect.

I guess I thought I would be pretty much ignored since that's the response I was receiving from the dive shop.

Wow, did I get a big surprise. I guess I was also surprised by some of the jabs taken at me (I do realize that no one here really knows me and that these were not personal).

I understand it now, but as the person making the complaint and being what I considered to be a patient person it still did surprise me, you don't think about all that when you are in the middle of a situation like that. I'm new not only to this site but to the internet as well, so I'm still learning. I have learned a lot of lessons in all of this. Of course,
I'm sure as human beings we all have a lot to learn, regardless of how wise we may think we are.

I was being completely facetious in the prison reference.

My point being, you can't always believe everything you read on the internet at face value. I first read your post a week ago immediately after reading a thread on a false spam accusation that got a little heated.
I thought then that your post was a little inciting (a comment about 'no way to run a business'), but it seems to be probably authentic.

Keep us posted as to the resolution. I wouldn't be holding my breath either, but hope the best for you.

Good luck.

What was the final outcome of this situation? I think that more than a few of us would like to believe the silence means things had a quick and positive ending.

I didn't think "the other side" was going to speak up as they hadn't thus far. If they did indeed resolve the issues, I think they missed at a chance for some seriously powerful and positive "PR" by not speaking up. It would just be nice for a change to see companies take the time out to show divers that they do care. It could very possibly change some of the negative attitudes towards the shops.

Anyway, if anyone knows, I would love to hear how it ended.

=-)

Well the sad truth is we never received any permanent nitrox C Cards. In looking back over my training materials, I found we had chosen AKA Divers because they offered the TDI nitrox certification which did not require dives as part of the training, only the classroom training. Mr. Biggs said he was going to refund my money and send me temporary C cards and that the permanent cards would follow in a week or so. Of course, I was suspicious because I know permanent cards usually take longer than a week or so to arrive. I explained to Mr. Biggs that we were not asking for our money back, we just wanted to receive our nitrox certification and be able to dive with nitrox on our upcoming trip (which by the way we were not able to do). What we received in the mail from Mr. Biggs were temporary PADI C cards and of course when I contacted PADI they had no record of ever receiving anything on our behalf from Mr Biggs/AKA Divers. Since we were supposed to be certified under TDI, I really did not expect PADI to certify us, but I did want to know if AKA Divers had followed up on anything for us and apparently they didn't. I did receive a check for the money I paid AKA Divers along with the worthless temporary cards and since the money was refunded to me I feel I now have no recourse in this matter. I would suppose that is exactly why the money was refunded. I guess AKA Divers was just trying to get rid of me. I'm thinking this is not a good way to treat customers. This has been a very confusing experience as the dive shop used both TDI and PADI training materials during the classroom training. We have certainly learned to ask a whole lot more questions and to insist on being given written verification concerning any training and the certifying agency being used. Mr Biggs/AKA Divers have been a personal disappoint to us as we take our diving personally. I could not in good faith recommend him.
So wish us good luck, if you will, on our future nitrox certification with some other dive shop.
P.S. Please don't misunderstand me, I would much rather be telling you a happy tale that everything was taken care of properly by the dive shop, but it wasn't...and that we went merrily diving with nitrox on our trip, but we couldn't.
Once again thanks to all who took an interest in this thread and to all who offered constructive advice, we really do appreciate all you fellow divers out there.
Happy diving,
Laura

Laura,

If I remember right, you are in the Dallas/Ft Worth area. If you still wish to be go with TDI for certifications (in nitrox and others), I can highly recommend Ron Carlo as an instructor. I found him after investigating several shops and local technical divers who are seeking their advanced certifications.

I've dived with Ron a few times at Athens and Travis and found him to be a very capable instructor, both on land and in the water. He's very thorough and makes you thoroughly debreif him on your training dives to discuss both what went right, and what went wrong and what you should do to fix it. It's very obvious that he loves the sport of diving and has an equal passion for teaching it to others. I took my TDI Basic Nitrox course with him 2 weeks ago and got my permanent card witin 10 days.

I plan to take my SDI/TDI Advanced Diver, Rescue Diver, and eventually Divemaster classes through him. From the other folks that I have spoken with, he is one of the best instrcutors for this level in the D/FW area.

Ron is the training director for Sand & Sea Scuba over at Abrams and Walnut (next to Richland College). You can reach him through the shop, or if you wish, e-mail me and I will send you his contact information. And you might tell him your story and see what he can do towards assisting you with your certification.

I empathize with you on the rotten break you received. But hopefully this won't deter you from continuing your enjoyment and training in scuba.

Warm Regards!

Thanks so much for the information and yes I live in Fort Worth/Haltom City area. I can appreciate the time and trouble it takes to research shops and instructors. I will be e-mailing you for the information about this instructor.
Thanks again!
Laura

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom