I've decided to go Tech, my Intro to Tech experience

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diving in Bikini, we had some really slick SM divers. My experience is four bottles with SM is a hassle and I much prefer BM, but with your back its worth the effort. One of the SM divers was a really petite woman, she mostly geared up sitting on the platform and sorted herself in the water. Find what suits you and practice it until it fits intuitively.

Be really particular about how you stow your deco regs to minimise chest clutter, and how you gas switch your SM regs. I saw that one go wrong at 50m on my Trimix course. Fun times, I got to practice my long hose drills and a SM diver got to practice his sheepish looks.

You'll see a lot of support in this forum for GUE courses. A guy I dived with recently had his Tec 2 cert rescinded for not having enough dives signed-off by a GUE instructor. He moved for work and was no longer diving GUE standard gasses and profiles, so that was that. TDI gives you a lot of dive planning flexibility and a very comprehensive knowledge of the theories of gases and decompression. A lof of people want to denigrate the instructors, but training is what you make of it. Competence is more about your attitude, and how often you can get out and dive than it is about which course you did. Every instructor has a nugget of wisdom to share.
I did ask my GUE Instructor if he would be willing to train me the way GUE does sidemount, just to gain the experience and knowledge, I stressed that I did not want a card or cert and he agreed. I dove SM a few days ago and after a few moments everything came flooding back to me. Had a great time and I'm going to enjoy diving sidemount.

Thanks for the tips about chest clutter, I will make sure and streamline everything. I just finished the e-learning for ANDP and will be doing Trimix next so I will definitely streamline my gear!

Wow, that's a lot of hoops to go through to get the GUE SM certification. Now I understand why @Tigerpaw said:
Yes, they coonsider it to be an advanced course. Now I am very satisfied and happy with my sidemount training from TDI, had an excellent instructor and that is what he dives exclusively. We're diving together next week as a refresher. That being said the informal SM dive I'll be doing with my GUE instructor is to see how they dive and I'll probably will end up adapting some of the GUE procedures.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom