Diver Training Rip-off - Divers Beware!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nope... don't know Biggs from Adam. I do know I don't accept annonymous accusations against anyone without supporting information. It's just too easy for someone to flame out at anyone and everyone behind a "handle" on the internet - and as you may know, folks can bite, assuming that the poster is truthful. I wont just bite without so much as asking a question.

If someone were to show up here under an alias lambasting you by name, whatever your name is, I would not accept their accusations either.

In my opinion it is inappropriate to blast someone in a forum such as this when you have not taken the matter up with those people who really can help you - the agencies under whom Biggs issues certifications.

At this point all we have is an accusation of serious malfeasance from an annonymous party. As I said before, if you need help pursuing this matter up proper channels, you can give me your name, your friend's name and the particulars of y'all's complaint against A.K.A. and I'll be happy to assist you in forwarding that complaint somewhere it can see proper review.

This ain't the place.

Rick

TexasDiver,

I noticed that you are a new user to this board as am I. I would also like to comment that I tried to contact you via this site but you have selected to not allow anybody to respond to you. You also have no profile and you don't leave your name on any message you post. You flame someone and don't even have the courtesy to leave your name, that is pretty poor in my book. I have been associated with AKA Divers for about 2 years now and know Mr. Biggs quite well. I won't make any excuses for what has happened. You say you have emailed Mr. Biggs numerous times, did you get his email address off the web site? I am the webmaster for AKA and my address is posted all over the website, I know you haven't emailed me. Maybe you just aren't happy with AKA or maybe you have a personal conflict with Mr. Biggs, whatever the case, you should keep your responses and comments on the professional level. If you don't like the way you have been treated then you need to take it up with the certifying agency and let them deal with the situation.

Jeff Johnson
Dive Master

For anyone still reading this thread and planning on taking classes. People are people and crap happens. I've learned, now, to get copies of all my training paperwork. I had a similar problem with paperwork falling through the cracks on it's way to PADI. After about 6 weeks I called PADI and then the dive shop. The paperwork just never made it.

In my case the shop was certainly responsive and the problem was resolved post haste, but I've learned to get copies of the paperwork before I leave.

I did copy the certifing agencies with my emails of complaint regarding A.K.A. Divers. I am who I am and Mr. Biggs knows who I am although he has chosen not to respond to me since 1/15/01... how busy can someone be???) and now the certifing agencies know that too! I have been told he is on a diving trip of some kind this particular weekend but has he been doing since 1/15/01...not responding to me is all I know.

I bet when he gets back he will be on this site then maybe he will tell you who I am and hopefully why he chose not to contact me. A customer should not have to go through this to get some service. In response to you Jeff (and by the I want to thank you for being the only person at A.K.A. to respond to me) the website mentioned that you were the webmaster and it appeared to me that comments concerning web design should be directed to you.

It did not appear that you were actually involved in the shop mgmt. But quite frankly, Jeff, don't you think that if a customer has made numerous phone calls to the store, regardless of how many emails I may have sent, that someone should have contacted me back with a resolution to the problem or at the very least an explanation??

I found it amazing that Cecil emailed me that he was but a "hapless bystander". I don't think I would want to be employed at a place where I felt that way and he did tell me yesterday was he last day. My original post here was simply to gain advice and to let others know to beware of the possibility of poor service at A.K.A. Divers. It's up to Bob Biggs to decide to continue to ignore me (a paying customer) or to contact me with some sort of explanation.

The last email I sent to him simply asked for the curtesy of a reply and I did not even get that either. I am now taking it up with the certifing agencies, thanks to your advice. And believe me for a patient person like me (training was done in mid-Nov.) this was a hopefull last resort.

I really would have preferred that anyone at A.K.A. Divers would have contacted me to get it resolved. One last thing, I did ask the now former store manager if anyone else that attended that class was having the same problem, and like most of his other responses to me, he answered "I don't know" (not "I will find out"). Sorry bad customer service is what it is.

I will come back to this site to let ya'll know how and when this is resolved. Or maybe I will get real lucky and Bob Biggs will let everyone here know that it has been resolved and that he has finally contacted me (I would think that is how a good quality company would do business).

Just a phone call (left 3 different phone nos.) or an email (left 2 different emails), just a phone call or an email confirming receipt of my request and that he would try to get it resolved or that I needed to call a particular agency would have been very helpful and customer service-like.

Hi Texasdiver:

Sorry to hear about your trouble. I bought my drysuit from Bob Biggs at AKA. There aren't many drysuit dealers, or drysuit divers for that matter, in North Texas. I knew very little about drysuits when I started looking, but knew that I wanted to look at the DUI's. The DUI dealer in Dallas said that they'd be glad to show me a suit after I bought it sight unseen.

Of course if I went custom (like I planned to) I'd be stuck with the suit if I didn't like it. Bob at AKA took the time to tell me that if I could wait a couple of months, the DUI rep would be coming through town with the entire product line and I was welcome to sit in on her pitch to the store and ask all the questions I wanted. Mind you this was the first time we met- he wasn't making this offer to an established customer or old friend. After looking at other suits, talking to a bunch of people, and taking Bob up on his offer, I bought a DUI from AKA.

Now having said that, we did have a little, er, confusion over the timing of the drysuit diving course that Bob included in the price of the suit. I showed up once (or was it twice?) at the place and time we'd agreed on only to find out no one knew what I was talking about.

After a few phone calls and discussions we finally got together and Bob held up his end of the bargain. He even came out to the lake on a cold January day to give me one-on-one open water instruction for the suit.

Again, sorry about your trouble, but if you keep at it I have a feeling that Bob will make good. Unless something has changed at AKA I wouldn't mind doing business there again. (But DiverInAk's advice to get things in writing is always sound advice.)

HTH,

Bill

FYI update, to all those who are keeping up with this thread. The following is a copy of an email my diving buddy, Mitch, has sent to A.K.A. Divers today. He wanted to post it on this site but, since we share the same internet connection he could not find a way to register separately. Anyway he wanted to let ya'll know he shares this dilemma with me. Thanks again to all who have offered contructive advice regarding this matter, I really appreciate it.

Here's my buddy's email:

Dear Mr. Biggs:
I also was a student of your Nitrox course in mid-November 2000. Laura and I took this course together and paid the fee, made arrangements around my busy schedule in order to achieve one goal, receive Nitrox certification. As I have completed the course, I expect only one result...I need my Nitrox "C" card. My complaint is the same as Laura's, you have ignored both of us, even after numerous calls and emails. Laura also requested my Nitrox "C" card on my behalf.

Bob, my complaint is twofold:
1. You have ignored both of us after we were told by Cecil that the messages were conveyed to you, and
2. Your lack of "apparently" not performing a simple task: forwarding the information to TDI/SDI or Padi (whichever is appropriate) as all these materials were used as part of our training.

We did our part, we paid the fee, we attended the classes and completed the requirements. All we ask of you is to make arrangements for us to receive our certification cards, it's that simple. If you cannot honor my request, please return our fee. You have many phone numbers, email addresses and mailing addresses to contact one or both us. We expect our "C" cards ASAP as we have a diving trip planned soon and we need the "C" cards for that trip.

As a teacher, communicating information is your talent, as a business owner it's your obligation to provide the product we have paid for. If you can't accomplish this for any reason, extend the courtesy of a response and return our money.

Thank You,
Mitch

That's it folks, I have posted this at the request of Mitch.

Thanks,

Laura (TexasDiver)

Rick,

I fully disagree with you, but at the same time admire your position.

...it is inappropriate to blast someone in a forum such as this ....

* snip *

This ain't the place.

First of all, This IS the place! This is a place where people can come to get advice and help. There are MANY instructors, Directors and Manufacturers that come to these sites. Many of whom I know about and I am sure many I don't know about. And if a shop jerks one of our fellow divers around in a unprofessional manner, you better believe that within these wet cyber walls is the power to do something about it. At the very least right a possible wrong. That includes everything from the unlawful to a simple misunderstanding!

Don't think poo-poo happens? Try this link on for size. The resort refused to comment. Sucks to be them eh? NO! We as a community have a right and often a sense of duty to share with other divers these experiences. If we all only ever did was wait for the "Other Side" to comment, all they would have to do is never comment and they get off free. There is nothing wrong with turning up the heat a little to push someone to take responsibility for their actions.

Rick, if you really believe the way you have previously posted then you are fooling only yourself.
1) The shops are not always right
2) The customers are not always wrong

By some of your past post I take it you are a shop owner, am I right? If so I will say that I would visit your establishment anytime, you strike me as a honest and trustworthy businessman. Your hard stance "for" the "shops" lead me to believe that you have had a rough time of being an honest and trustworthy shop owner. I hope that this sort of forum will reward both divers and honest business men/women like yourself. On the other side of the coin I hope that shady business owners and rip-off shops are either scared straight or go out of business!

Don't think we can all make a difference? Sometimes feel like "The Last boyscout"? Take a look around! There is some horsepower around here (whether you know who they are or not).

Now, for any slimy trouble makers, I also have a warning for you... If your beef isn't legit, you will be exposed and instead of damaging anyones rep, you will make them come out shining like Gold! There are two sides to every story and we will dig into it and find out before we would ever cast judgement.

Texas diver, a word of caution to you, if you're just looking to cause trouble this is the wrong place to do it ... You will be exposed. I personally will hold my judgement until all the cards are in.

I know what it feels like to have been ripped off in a BIG WAY! I waited for TWO YEARS to get my DM card, and that's from a "PADI 5 Star" shop! So yes, it has happened, it does happen and it will happen. It's up to all of us to help each other out and not make them feel like they can't speak up! I just don't want people to think we wont help, if legit, where we can.

=-)

Like KN, I want to hear what the other person (bob biggs) has to say first. Both sides of the arguement will have their own version of what happened.

In cases like this there is the propper channel to assess what has happened, and who was wrong. We should hear what he has to say at the very least, and preferably, the result of some official enquiry?

I like how a few people here have actually asked about the other side in this dispute, and unlike most other sites, most have not been far to eager to condemn the guy without any impartial evaluation of ALL the facts.

So I would have to agree with KN, lets get it out into the open, but all of it.

Jon T

Bob Biggs and all involved deserve the same consideration. I would hope they view this thread and take the responsibility to tell their side of it and resolve the issues. Until then, I'll refrain from further comment.

I agree with you, and I agree with you!

Seriously, The King is right on this account.. This is the place to speak your peace.

As King said, if you're going to complain about a business, or person, it is only fair for everyone to hear both sides.

People make mistakes. Heck even computers make mistakes and are not perfect. We all know that.

I think there could be a way for 'nicely' stating what wrong was done to you, and mailing it to the person or place involved and telling them where you posted it.

Let's always try to hear both sides.

:sunny:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom