Diver missing on Oriskany 10/22/11

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

All you have to do is install an adjustable flow valve for the o2 to change that. I don't think I've heard of anyone diving a kiss that doesn't go deeper than stock.

I understand that. That's why I asked if it was modified for the depths he was diving.

I understand that. That's why I asked if it was modified for the depths he was diving.
When I last dived with him we had that conversation and I recall that he said it was modified for greater depths than the stock unit. (Spurred on by him going to 225' on that dive)

The modification for a Kiss Sport to allow O2 to flow does not improve the scrubber performance and increased chance of CO2 breakthru at those depths.

All you have to do is install an adjustable flow valve for the o2 to change that. I don't think I've heard of anyone diving a kiss that doesn't go deeper than stock.
The Sport Kiss depth limitation has nothing to do with oxygen flow

Whitewatermike sorry about your friend and thank you for what must have been a very difficult report

Whitewatermike , thank you for your detailed account. It was sensitive and well stated. Our hearts still are heavy for all of you involved especially "the diver." God speed coming home. :grouphug:

Thank you, Mike. Sometimes, things happen. Sometimes, there has to be closure in accepting that.

So sorry for the times you and the family and all the friends have endured and have yet to face.

Mike, thank you. As stated by others previously, your report was exceptional. You have done a great service to your friend and the dive community as a whole by allowing us to read it. I can only hope you and his family and friends can find some peace at this very trying time.

Lisa

When I last dived with him we had that conversation and I recall that he said it was modified for greater depths than the stock unit. (Spurred on by him going to 225' on that dive)
I too was on a dive trip with him when he went to over 200ft on two dives. This was almost a year ago. Knowing him I doubt his equipment was not suited to this type of diving.

Wow.

You know, I try and read all the threads in the A&I forum, thinking hopefully I will learn and prevent an accident in the future. So far, there has been some invaluable tips and lessons that I have taken away, just by reading someone elses viewpoint on what could have been done.

That being said, reading this thread sucks. I am not interested in rebreathers, or diving solo beyond recreational depths. So what I am taking away is that we lost another diver. No reason why, just life coming to bite us in the ass again. And that is a depressing thought.

I am sorry Mike for what you had to be a part of, and the other gentlemean that posted that was on the other boat. I have never been close to a loss, and I can't imagine how one would look at the world of diving afterwards. Thank you for your very informational post, and I am happy to hear that you had the most professional, respectful team looking for the diver. If nothing else, we should all be thankful that the resources were in place to search for the missing diver

May everyone find the answers, closure, and peace they need to move on from this experience

I too was on a dive trip with him when he went to over 200ft on two dives. This was almost a year ago. Knowing him I doubt his equipment was not suited to this type of diving.

If a Kiss Sport is taken to 200ft then that is clearly exceeding the manufacturers specifications. There are several things that cause that particular unit to be rated the way it is. Can it go deeper. Yes it can but additional risks comes with that decision along with decreased margin for error and recovery. Having exceeded the rated depth spec several times does not make it any safer to do it again in the future and probably just make it easier to justify in your own mind that it is OK and safe to take the risk.

I am not saying this is what happened but only clarifying what is a known information regarding the rating for the Kiss Sport for those that are qualified and trained to dive with one.

John

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom