Diver missing on Oriskany 10/22/11

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have been reading these reports for a number of years now and that was one of the best that has been posted on this site. That the event did not end well and a diver is gone does not detract from the quality of the report from you Mike. Some of my research would have been much easier if all the events I looked into for presentations and essays had been as thorough given the info you had at hand. I also would like to thank you for the compassion that was so evident in it and I'm sorry for the pain you must be feeling.

RIP

Mike, thank you for the first hand account of events. I'm sure it was difficult to put into words all that happened during this very sad event with no closure. The solace comes in knowing that the diver was doing what he was passionate about until the end. Thanks to the search teams involved. The self-less support from the dive community when something happens to "one-of-us" is heartwarming.

I wish it was still called "Thank You" instead of "Like". There is nothing likeable in that well written report, but it sure is appreciated. THANK YOU for taking the time to write such a detailed and well thought report. I am sure it was more then hard to force yourself to search for objective words to describe such an emotional experience. My heart goes out to the family, friends and all involved.

Perhaps I missed it, but what charter was this off of, and what was the tech charter that assisted? It is obvious that the charter is not at fault, and conducted them selves properly.

WhiteWaterMike, Thank you for the report. As a member of the team that searched the Oriskany on Sunday and was in the position to help with a surface search the day the diver went missing. I can tell you that it makes me feel a lot better to read your post.

I can tell you that that every person on the search team was very dissapointed that we did not find your friend and I personally was touched to tears from the heart felt thanks that your trip leader offered during our debrief as we returned to the dock and then again as the missing divers wife took the time to hug and thank each diver for his/her part in the search efforts.

Thank you for your kind words above about the crew of the charter boat, it's captain, and the friends and fellow divers of the search team.

WhiteWaterMike, Thank you for the report. As a member of the team that searched the Oriskany on Sunday and was in the position to help with a surface search the day the diver went missing. I can tell you that it makes me feel a lot better to read your post.

I can tell you that that every person on the search team was very dissapointed that we did not find your friend and I personally was touched to tears from the heart felt thanks that your trip leader offered during our debrief as we returned to the dock and then again as the missing divers wife took the time to hug and thank each diver for his/her part in the search efforts.

Thank you for your kind words above about the crew of the charter boat, it's captain, and the friends and fellow divers of the search team.

And thank you and all involved with the search effort. Although I was not on this trip, they are dear friends and I know they (and I) appreciated the magnitude of the resources applied to the search, and the attitude of all involved to try and assure a positive outcome. Unfortunately it just wasn't meant to be.

The diver had over 3000 lifetime dives, over 30 years, and over 200 dives on the KISS rebreather he was using. He did have a bailout bottle with him on these dives. He planned his dives meticulously and spent more time preparing for dives and maintaining his equipment than anybody I know. He was extremely focused and took his diving very seriously. He had no reported health problems, and was known to go to the gym regularly. Several months back, he gave our club a presentation on rebreather technology and dive techniques. On this morning, he appeared to be in a cheerful mood.

Do you know what modifications, if any, he had made to his rebreather? I ask because from the other boat it looked like he was diving a KISS Sport which is not rated to the depths you state he was diving.

Do you know what modifications, if any, he had made to his rebreather? I ask because from the other boat it looked like he was diving a KISS Sport which is not rated to the depths you state he was diving.

No, I do not know anything more about the rebreather other than that was a KISS. He was quite experienced and I seriously doubt he would have dove beyond the rating of the unit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom