Diver identity - how to increase underwater

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I know a couple DM's in Cozumel who swapped a fin with each other, so that they have each have two different color fins. They stand out very well from a distance. Another simple trick for warm water is a thin neon colored T-shirt which can be worn over a wetsuit.

SOLAS tape works. The colored ones are a bit less reflective, but still easy to see.

Dress yourself like a Queen Angel Fish and put a tie dye t-shirt over your wet suit. You'll see more fish up close as you won't appear to be a predator and everyone will know who you are. No fish is scared of an angel fish.

Dress yourself like a Queen Angel Fish and put a tie dye t-shirt over your wet suit. You'll see more fish up close as you won't appear to be a predator and everyone will know who you are. No fish is scared of an angel fish.

And if a King Angel Fish should approach it will be .. "whole lotta love" ! :)

[Led Zeppelin rules]

I know someone that dives with a rubber ducky tied to his BCD shoulder strap so it floats above his head. He really stands out :D

On my recent trip to Cozumel, I saw one DM wearing fluorescent green underwear briefs over his wetsuit. Another diver wore tighty whities over his wetsuit.
That might be a look that would make your wife want to lose you though!

All good ideas, and I appreciate those that took the question seriously (and not the preachy "should not be finger length from your buddy") - Mako is sending out a bottle of the bright paint so we'll see how that works. I'm also leaning towards the idea of tying something bright to the first stage (old T-shirt, rag etc) - the thinking is that not only will it "wave" in the current, but have the added benefit of standing out when on the boat - typically when coming up from the first dive, and the helpful boat crew takes your gear/changes tanks, it's sometimes a hassle to try and find your bcd/regs among all the others, so a bright red rag should help that as well.

Not the best thread title, but the general gist;
Just returned from an excellent trip to Cozumel - however, since my BCD is black, my fins black, my wetsuit black etc my wife was complaining she was finding it hard to pick me out of the "crowd"
<SN IP>

I got a Scap (basically a neoprene cap) in a loud red and white Hawaiian pattern. Makes it VERY easy to identify me under water.

Some great suggestions in these posts!

Two years ago in Utila we did the drop off dive at the Laguna Beach house reef. I think we have been one of the last groups before they closed. It was a terrible dive. Vis was so low it was hard to see the diver in front of you. Before we left the boat I said to my husband "don't loose me".

He got in first and by the time I entered the water all I could see were his blue fins in the distance. I was kicking for all I was worth and could barely keep up with him. I was so angry I was rehearsing in my head what I was going to say when we got to shore.

About that time something tugged on my fin really hard. Scarred the crap out of me. Turns out, I was following the wrong fins. He was just as mad at me for fining so hard he couldn't keep up. We'll definitely try some of the suggestions posted here :)

Back
Top Bottom