Diver identity - how to increase underwater

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wear colour mismatched fins.

But really, this is about not paying attention to your buddy. Suppose you had an issue and expected gas from her and she is thinking, "oh look, someone is having an issue - I wonder where his buddy is?".

This is not about Cozumel, or groups of other divers, this is about you and her paying attention to each other.

...//... But really, this is about not paying attention to your buddy. ...//...
Maybe, but don't know. Sounds to me like they are trying to keep in contact.

Keeping in contact is a hard thing to do while enjoying the world around you.

mailbox stickers from home depot with your initials slapped on your bc or tank
Very effective. Stick to most everything, retroreflective, and unusual to see on the bottom of fins.

Stick to most everything, retroreflective, and unusual to see on the bottom of fins.
Well... I have the impression that jetfins with reflective tape on the bottom are fairly popular among a certain type of divers. Makes you quite visible from behind in the dark, especially if you use frog kicks. Perhaps not so popular among typical warm water vacation divers, though :)

And on a more personal note, my buddy usually can identify me fairly easily. They just look for the guy with the big camera rig :D

My buddies don't generally have much problem looking for me - they simply look for the biggest guy in the water and that will be me.

Tempted to buy a more distinct hood though - quite possibly Elvis

We're often the only ones with BP/Ws, so that's one. And our DSMBs are strapped to the right side of our backplates in their bright orange pouches, and are thus fairly visible. The girlfriend has a red noeprene mask strap as well, and our wetsuits - though black - do have a distinctive 'W3' on the leg.

But those Scapa Scuba novelty hoods are hilarious! May have to get one (or two) :-D

most of us here diving in low vis in the baltic have all black gear, cause its cool.. anyway, we use tire markers to write our initials on the bottom side of the fins, very visible. I even bought glow-in-the-dark metallic paint that sits really well and glows quite nicely.
Other things we use are high reflective stickers on tanks with name

When assisting on ocean checkout dives I wore a yellow band in my wrist with a blue thing dangling off it, so students could recognize me. Of course those were like 25' dives and it may be useless below that with the disappearance of colours.

Back
Top Bottom