Diver identity - how to increase underwater

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One option is judicious use of duct tape as applied by others :rant:
tmp_6388-FB_IMG_14917814727451358998824.jpg

Nob is in relation to the award of "nob of the day" for the person who did the daftest thing that day . Mine was slipping on the ladder getting back on board.

My wife wears a lot of yellow. I can always find her bright fins and tanks. So that my wife can find me easily since most of my gear is dark colored, I have my initials in big 2" letters on my tank along with a reflective scuba flag. I also have my initials on the bottoms of my fins in reflective lettering.

There are lots of things you can do. Just be creative and personalize it.

I put reflector tape on the bottom of my fins to make me stand out a little more. And I have my pony bottle painted a light metallic blue.

Just a quick update to this one - Mako sent out a bottle of the high viz paint they sell - and I do think that might be the answer - quite bright and distinctive - I put a few stripes on the fins, the wetsuit and the BCD - in the sea of black that is most dive gear, should make a difference - if nothing else just like putting some duct tape on luggage, should help to make sure nobody accidentally walks away with yours. Unfortunately it will probably be another year before I get to to try it out in the water (I dive in the drysuit the rest of the year) and see how durable it is, but based on the cost and initial looks I'd highly suggest people give it a try.

Tire markers are magic marker-like white paint pens sold at auto-supply stores. I use these to put names on our black masks, computers, compasses, fins and undersuits. The paint wears off every couple months but for the length of a dive trip like a liveaboard it's very clear whose stuff is whose. On a liveaboard where several persons have all-black fins the paint pen is a wonderful thing - mark the top of the foot pocket with something short and distinctive "Mom", "Eric" or even :) and you get you fins quick and easy.
Paint pens are very effective for reading something small like a name from 20cm to 3m, but they can be used to paint a larger patter on the bottom of your fins. White stands out quite well, other colors exist but are not as visible at a distance.

Last edited:
My Girlfriend has a cricket machine, and she cut out my last name in big letters with some sticker material, I put it around my tank. so far its held nicely for about 20 dives. (lol and I coordinate all my gear to be blue)

"I put reflector tape on the bottom of my fins"
Won't do you any good. That was my idea first, folks are just going to think you're me now.(VBG)

ScotchLite comes in SUCH a wide range of colors!

Back
Top Bottom