diver dies off redondo beach (puget sound)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wedivebc:
I agree, I should have added that to my previous post. In the case of a dive accident the buddy usually bears alot of guilt. When some cyber-diver claims the accident was due to a "buddy issue" it feeds that guilt. I think KrisB should be a little more sensitive to the surviving buddies grief at this time and since he knows jack-**** about the accident should keep his opinions to the facts at hand.
I applaud the the buddies attempt at rescue and my heart and deepest sympathy go out to her.
....and at this point we really don't know the cause of the problem. For all we know the guy may have suffered cardiac arrest; had a thrombus to the brain, heart or lungs; or some other medical problem that really had nothing to do with diving at all.
Then again he may have experienced immersion induced pulmonary edema. The fact is we just don't know at this point.

Also, as in all rescusitation scenario's, no matter how perfectly things are done, sometimes it just doesn't succeed. My sympathies and condolences to the woman who lost her husband at such a young age.

Hey everyone, thanks for keeping the speculation to a minimum. At this point all we can do is offer our condolences to the family and friends of this couple. This is a tradegy that has happened in my back yard and for all I know to people that I have dove with. Ours is a tight community of divers and my heart goes out to this couple, their friends and their families.

Let us be respectful and aware of the fact that someone has died. At this point it is not time for analysis. While we would like to know what happened so that we can analyze it and learn from it, we do not have any facts. Until we get those facts, we will keep this thread open for condolences only.

OE2X

Diver0001:
Can you copy it for us?

R..

By ELISA HAHN / KING 5 News

DES MOINES, Wash. - An Auburn man died Friday afternoon while scuba diving near the pier at Redondo Beach in Des Moines, Wash.

The man was apparently diving with his wife when the accident happened.

Witnesses say the pair was 80 feet below the surface when the man began gesturing that he needed to surface.

Firefighters said the woman surfaced thinking her husband was right behind her, but he was nowhere to be found.

She then dived back down, found her husband unconscious, grabbed him and then started swimming for shore.

One diver said it was heartbreaking to watch the woman work so hard to save her husband's life and then to learn he didn't make it.

Witness Jeff Rogers said the man was large, at least 200 pounds and the woman was able to pull him to shore.

"I don't know how she did it," he said. "She's a very brave woman."

Both husband and wife were reportedly experienced divers.

A Des Moines police spokesperson said police will investigate to see if the accident was health related or caused by a gear malfunction.

lamont:
By ELISA HAHN / KING 5 News

DES MOINES, Wash. - An Auburn man died Friday afternoon while scuba diving near the pier at Redondo Beach in Des Moines, Wash.

She then dived back down, found her husband unconscious, grabbed him and then started swimming for shore.

One diver said it was heartbreaking to watch the woman work so hard to save her husband's life and then to learn he didn't make it.

Witness Jeff Rogers said the man was large, at least 200 pounds and the woman was able to pull him to shore.

"I don't know how she did it," he said. "She's a very brave woman."

This sounds like a scenario from the rescue diver class. It sounds like she had the skills down, and gave it her best shot, which increased the odds of him surviving. Poor gal.

I'm glad to provide a point at which people can vent their frustration at. I'm sorry for calling-them-as-I-see-them... and I didn't mean to imply it was her fault completely, just that it may have saved some precious minutes if she had stayed within eye contact of her buddy on the ascent.

Something not mentioned here yet: they were between 53 and 80 FSW when the incident occurred, according to the firefighters that looked at the dive computer, as reported on KIRO 7.

KrisB:
I'm glad to provide a point at which people can vent their frustration at. I'm sorry for calling-them-as-I-see-them... and I didn't mean to imply it was her fault completely, just that it may have saved some precious minutes if she had stayed within eye contact of her buddy on the ascent.
Since you have no direct knowledge of the incident you have no business "calling them " at all nor should you be assigning blame.

KrisB:

You said:

KrisB:
sounds like a buddy-issue (she surfaced w/o him) more than anything else...

I'm guessing "cardiovascular accident" would probably be more of the factor. Even with perfect execution of a rescue, that kind of incident at depth is going to have a very high likelihood of being fatal.

Personally I'm not big on "calling them as I see them" becuase that implies that I'm sitting in judgement as a referee or judge or critic. I think the fact you use that terminology does say a lot about where you're coming from.

jbd:
Also, as in all rescusitation scenario's, no matter how perfectly things are done, sometimes it just doesn't succeed. My sympathies and condolences to the woman who lost her husband at such a young age.

As someone who has performed CPR countless times over the last 20 years, I can tell that MOST times it doesn't succeed. However, there is no chance of survival at all if the effort isn't made. I applaud her for having the courage and strength to do all she did. I also know from experience that when you're working on a loved one, the stress level is through the roof, and the feelings of failure when it fails are crushing. I pray that God blesses and guides her, and gives her the peace she needs.

Firefyter:
As someone who has performed CPR countless times over the last 20 years, I can tell that MOST times it doesn't succeed. However, there is no chance of survival at all if the effort isn't made. I applaud her for having the courage and strength to do all she did. I also know from experience that when you're working on a loved one, the stress level is through the roof, and the feelings of failure when it fails are crushing. I pray that God blesses and guides her, and gives her the peace she needs.
Your position on CPR stats is right on with everything I've heard from doctors, be they ER or critical care. I also agree it is important to try and I also applaud her.

To put things in perspective, if you suffered a heart attack while 20 feet up a ladder (which is where I was just a moment ago), I'd guess off the top of my head your survival odds would be similar or less than at 20 meters UW.

Back
Top Bottom