Diver dies in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

parrotheaddiver

Contributor
Reaction score
Southeast of Disorder...and San Marcos, Texas
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Found this on D2D board. Sooooo Sad

This is how I understand it. Details may change as the story unfolds.

A woman & husband were diving the San Francisco Wall with She was panicy & crying for help, and soon descended rapidly.

A divemaster was leading another group in the area & noticed the woman sinking rapidly & was able to grab her at ~115'. She apparently was unconscious with all equipment on & the low pressure inflator disconnected. She was dead before she reached the shore at Nachi Cocom.

From the local paper. Her husband is a parapalegic and was diving with his own DM. They entered first. She suited up with her group of four divers and DM. They entered. The boat captain saw her pop to the surface in trouble then sink back down. He called for assistance from a passing boat and shortly thereafter she was retrieved from 120 feet by two other divers who happened upon her on the bottom. She was dead once she reached the surface though CPR was attempted once she was transferred to the boat. It seems she may have made an uncontrolled assent an embolised then sank back down and drowed

If this is true, this is very sad news and my prayers go to her family.
Do you have a date or a link or any other info?

Natasha:
If this is true, this is very sad news and my prayers go to her family.
Do you have a date or a link or any other info?

I found it on (link has been removed by Natasha) on there msg board. I think it happened on Monday. I am sure the story is still unfolding.

Parrot:

This news is very sad. I am confused as to how this tragic accident happened. How did she shoot up to the surface only to sink down again? If there was too much air in her BC causing her to shoot up, wouldn't she have been found floating on the surface? Or if her secondary air hose detached underwater could that have propelled her to the surface? But what would have caused her to sink again?

In situations such as this it is extremely inappropriate for ANYONE to speculate regarding the actual events without first hand knowledge. Not being privileged to the FACTS and then naming someone personally is IMO reckless and boarders slander.

ANYONE making statements regarding such an incident can be damaging to those mentioned and those individuals should be given the same credence as the law offers.

Whether the story was copied or not does reduce your burden of responsibility for perpetuating the "tale". Always nice when someone has something to share and it starts with

“This is how I understand it. Details may change as the story unfolds”.

REALLY!

I would ask that the speculation stop in regards to this situation until all the facts are known. People, use your head and think before you act!

I must agree with Mike. Be very careful that you have an accurate understanding of the facts before you start naming names. I have dove with this DM for years and would be very surprised if this incident went down the way it has been set out.

5615mike:
In situations such as this it is extremely inappropriate for ANYONE to speculate regarding the actual events without first hand knowledge. Not being privileged to the FACTS and then naming someone personally is IMO reckless and boarders slander.

ANYONE making statements regarding such an incident can be damaging to those mentioned and those individuals should be given the same credence as the law offers.

Whether the story was copied or not does reduce your burden of responsibility for perpetuating the "tale". Always nice when someone has something to share and it starts with

“This is how I understand it. Details may change as the story unfolds”.

REALLY!

I would ask that the speculation stop in regards to this situation until all the facts are known. People, use your head and think before you act!

Dude, mellow out a bit...All he did was quote a post from a different place. The part about the "details may change..." was included in the original post....

Sure, lets not speculate...But please don't crucify the messenger either.

What you seem to advocate is to not talk at all about any accident until all of the various agencies (including courts, if you take this to an extreme) have ruled, and have published their findings....And we all know that isn't going to happen.

scubasean:
Dude, mellow out a bit...All he did was quote a post from a different place.

Sure, lets not speculate...But please don't crucify the messenger either.

What you seem to advocate is to not talk at all about any accident until all of the various agencies have ruled, and have published their findings....And we all know that isn't going to happen.

It is also true that you can do a lot of damage to a person's reputation by naming names without being sure of the facts. The implication of the original post is that the DM did not keep track of the divers in his group. That is the problem. If you don't know the facts for sure you should not name names.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom