Diver dies in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tim Ingersoll:
If you don't know the facts for sure you should not name names.

I agree in principle with what you are saying, which is somewhat different than what was previously said by Mike.

Even reporters often get the "facts" wrong...So it seems that some folks are advocating not talking about an accident unless a witness comes forth to talk in first person about it.

I didn't infer from the post that the DM was at all at fault. Many possible causes exist for such an unfortunate accident.

Since it is your understanding, and since you are pointing away from the named DM and which may very well be true, will you please state the origin of your understanding?

Squeekycat:
Parrot:

This news is very sad. I am confused as to how this tragic accident happened. How did she shoot up to the surface only to sink down again? If there was too much air in her BC causing her to shoot up, wouldn't she have been found floating on the surface? Or if her secondary air hose detached underwater could that have propelled her to the surface? But what would have caused her to sink again?

If an inflator is stuck and you disconect the inflator hose air can continue to leak out of the bc. If one was heavy and failed to arrest the ascent before getting to the surface but disconnected the inflator hose they could sink back down once enough air leaked out through the still stuck inflator.

I'm not saying this is what happened, only that it could happen.

MikeFerrara:
If an inflator is stuck and you disconect the inflator hose air can continue to leak out of the bc. If one was heavy and failed to arrest the ascent before getting to the surface but disconnected the inflator hose they could sink back down once enough air leaked out through the still stuck inflator.

Or stuck inflator hose all the way to the surface, disconnected on the surface, diver dumps the air manually to try to get back down and recompress, then blacks out and drowns.

Same disclaimer -- I know I wasn't there, but this is what went through my mind reading the report...

scubasean:
Even reporters often get the "facts" wrong...
It has been my experience that reporters *always* get the facts wrong.
---------
Now, with just what little there is to go on, my speculation is:
Diver entered the water with inflator hose disconnected.
Diver attempted to add air to BC, realized she had a problem.
Diver panics, swims to surface, arrives exhausted, fails to release weights, hollers for help, gives out, sinks, in panic can't find regulator or octopus, aspirates, drowns.
- or -
any number of other possibilities - but if I were betting, that's the way I'd bet.
Rick

MikeFerrara:

In an ideal world, the full facts of the incident would be immediately available and there wouldn't be any speculation posted on the boards. OTOH, it IS useful to discuss various possible accident scenarios with the goal of us all avoiding them in the future.

I've tested my BCD for the case where the inflator hose is disconnected. There is just a small dribble of air that comes back out.

Rich Murchison's speculation appears to be more likely to be what happened.

It appears that both the So. California shore entry fatality of a few months ago, and this fatality in Cozumel both shriek out the same message: IF YOU ARE ON THE SURFACE AND IN DIFFICULTY, DROP WEIGHTS.

Charlie99:
In an ideal world, the full facts of the incident would be immediately available and there wouldn't be any speculation posted on the boards. OTOH, it IS useful to discuss various possible accident scenarios with the goal of us all avoiding them in the future.

I've tested my BCD for the case where the inflator hose is disconnected. There is just a small dribble of air that comes back out.

Yes, I was talking about what will happen if the inflator valve is stuck. Then it'ss allow air to escape much faster.
Rich Murchison's speculation appears to be more likely to be what happened.
I agree but what does that say?
It appears that both the So. California shore entry fatality of a few months ago, and this fatality in Cozumel both shriek out the same message: IF YOU ARE ON THE SURFACE AND IN DIFFICULTY, DROP WEIGHTS.

Which is right in the OW texts right. Maintain pos buoyancy at the surface.

Unless you have a heart attack or something the principles that allow you to survive a dive are pretty simple. Good basic skills always being at the heart of the matter.

By the way, whenever one of these situations occurs there seems to be alot of curiosity, me included. But I also feel angry and disappointed. I think we all lose, our sport loses, and our friends lose, when this type of thing happens. Imagine putting yourself in the shoes of any of the parties involved? It must be Hell.

I was supposed to do some dive incident research and access the Coroner's Office records, but the Ontario government changed and they dropped it. But after this latest incident, I am getting on the phone on Monday to see if I can get it going again.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom