Diver dies in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MikeFerrara:
Yes, I was talking about what will happen if the inflator valve is stuck. Then it'ss allow air to escape much faster.

There are four valves in the inflator setup; one that allows gas to flow from the reg into the BC (fill valve), one that allows gas to flow in and out through the mouthpiece (dump valve), and a pair of check valves that prevents gas from escaping the BC and the inflator hose if they are not connected. The scenario suggested above would require, I believe, that two of these valves fail at the same time, which I think is unlikely.

I have heard of panicky divers occasionally getting the two buttons (dump and fill) confused.

Whatever was the root cause of this accident, my heart goes out to the family and friends of the victim. This serves as as a reminder that the sport that we love does have its dangers; it behooves all of us to remain vigilant on the question of safety.

ggunn:
There are four valves in the inflator setup; one that allows gas to flow from the reg into the BC (fill valve), one that allows gas to flow in and out through the mouthpiece (dump valve), and a pair of check valves that prevents gas from escaping the BC and the inflator hose if they are not connected. The scenario suggested above would require, I believe, that two of these valves fail at the same time, which I think is unlikely.
I don't know of any power inflators that have a check valve to prevent air from going out backwards thru the LPI fitting.

You might want to go try a simple experiment with your BC or wing. Orally inflate it a bit, and with the LPI hose off, press down on the inflator button. Now press down (or sit) on the bladder and see how fast air comes out of your BC. If it is like most, you should hear some air escaping. Not a huge amount, because the inflator valve is designed to work on 140psi IP, but on mine at least, there clearly is no check valve at all.

In real life, while underwater, there is just a tiny dribble of bubbles that comes out of the inflator LPI connector, because there isn't much pressure in the bladder. On the surface with an overweighted diver, there would be a little more pressure, but not so great a leak as to immediately deflate the BC.

Charlie

scubasean:
Dude, mellow out a bit...All he did was quote a post from a different place. The part about the "details may change..." was included in the original post....

Sure, lets not speculate...But please don't crucify the messenger either.

What you seem to advocate is to not talk at all about any accident until all of the various agencies (including courts, if you take this to an extreme) have ruled, and have published their findings....And we all know that isn't going to happen.

Ya know Sean, I was going to leave this alone but after some thought I have chosen to defend my friend and myself.

Several key points to consider.
1. Just becuase information is posted in another location does not mean it's true. So just because it's in print makes it true? We all certainly know that to be a falsehood.
2. The messenger in this case perpetuated false information and IMO they did this to themselves. The poster needs to take responsibility for their actions. Maybe next time they won't be so quick to post information that can have drastic consequences for third parties when those facts are not substaniated.
3. I never said that the incident should not be discussed until the courts have their final say. I said that names should not be used. You know, to protect the innocetn. Sean, how would you like to have YOUR NAME plastered all over the internet for something you had nothing to do with? Just think about that before you tell me to chill out.

5615mike:
Ya know Sean, I was going to leave this alone but after some thought I have chosen to defend my friend and myself.

Several key points to consider.
1. Just becuase information is posted in another location does not mean it's true. So just because it's in print makes it true? We all certainly know that to be a falsehood.
2. The messenger in this case perpetuated false information and IMO they did this to themselves. The poster needs to take responsibility for their actions. Maybe next time they won't be so quick to post information that can have drastic consequences for third parties when those facts are not substaniated.
3 I never said that the incident should not be discussed until the courts have their final say. I said that names should not be used. You know, to protect the innocetn. Sean, how would you like to have YOUR NAME plastered all over the internet for something you had nothing to do with? Just think about that before you tell me to chill out.

I agree that names should not be posted. However, it was my opinion that you were saying much more than that, and your post had a severity to it that was not warranted.

And, you are far too harsh on the messenger...Just my opinion, but mine counts as much as yours...

In my opinion, it was much more important to get the truth out quickly, rather than spend time on other issues...But that's just me.

And I can appreciate that...I try to defend my friends with enthusiasm also. I hope you are as enthusiastic in other similar incidents as you are here, whether your friends are involved or not.

Enjoy!

parrotheaddiver:
Found this on D2D board. Sooooo Sad

[snip]

From the local paper. Her husband is a parapalegic and was diving with his own DM. They entered first. She suited up with her group of four divers and DM. They entered. The boat captain saw her pop to the surface in trouble then sink back down. He called for assistance from a passing boat and shortly thereafter she was retrieved from 120 feet by two other divers who happened upon her on the bottom. She was dead once she reached the surface though CPR was attempted once she was transferred to the boat. It seems she may have made an uncontrolled assent an embolised then sank back down and drowed

I just returned from Coz last night after a 21-28 Feb trip. Heard about this during my stay at Hotel Cozumel/Dive Paradise. We were all bummed and felt bad for all involved.

Steve

All names of Dms' and dive ops are being removed from this thread.
If you l need to talk about me removing these names, please PM me and do not start a post about it in this thread.
Thank you.

Charlie99:
I don't know of any power inflators that have a check valve to prevent air from going out backwards thru the LPI fitting.

Charlie

Um, you're right, of course, I stand corrected. What I was thinking of as a check valve in the BC is the inflator valve itself; as you say, it's a pretty small orifice. I guess it's possible that the valve suck open, rocketed her to the surface (though she would have been in a cloud of bubbles as the overpressure valves in the BC let go). If she disconnected the LPI at the surface she would have eventually sunk if she remained weighted, although the BC would have deflated pretty slowly through that small orifice.

Tragic, nonetheless.

Scuba_Signer:
I just returned from Coz last night after a 21-28 Feb trip. Heard about this during my stay at Hotel Cozumel/Dive Paradise. We were all bummed and felt bad for all involved.

Steve

Last Tuesday, I saw the DM who brought up the woman's body. It was at that point that I found out about the woman's death that had happened Monday. The DM was pale, shaking like a leaf and was obviously distressed. The poor guy was trying to stay strong because he had to go back out and lead dives that day!

I should note here that he works for a different dive shop than the one the woman had been diving with--her body descended down as he was leading a dive. I can't even imagine how he felt and it makes me wonder how I would react if I were diving and a body came floating down from above?

So, not only does my heart go out to that woman, her husband and her family, but also the people involved in her recovery--truly a tragic and devastating accident. We'll never know what truly happened--those answers died with her--but hopefully this will bring awareness to divers everywhere. Dive safe everyone....

We just got back from Coz last night and where out the day this happened. No one knows why her inflator hose was detached. What we heard from the dive guides who were listening to the radio traffic is: no one is clear who her “buddy” was supposed to be, but she was not keeping close to her husband who was with a dive guide. She was seen doing a quick assent no one knows why. On the surface did not inflate her BC orally, did not drop her weights. She was not “seen” on the surface for more than 2-3 minutes before she started sinking. A dive guide from another group caught her on the way down, already unresponsive, reg out of mouth. They “claim” there was still air in her tank.

Of course there was a lot of talk about this but few hard “facts”. The above was what was being transmitted at the time. Many times there is a medical reason that we will not know till later if ever.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom