Diver Death in Cayman

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
yes, I agree but that is precisely why brand new divers have to be watched more closely. What this diver did wrong has been beaten to death here so let's now turn that focus, for a while at least, and explore what this sorry mess of a dm should have done,ok?

PF....don't make me come back there and tell you to read all 700+ posts again!!! :D That has been beaten to death as well as what the diver did wrong. You just have no liked the reception that you are getting. What makes you think this time around will be different?

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

The guilt I feel is that I knew Brendan was missing as well. No one else did. Matthew only signaled to me and communicated with me. And when I turned to check on Pam, and I turned back to Matthew he was continuing the dive and I kept diving as well. I feel guilty because I thought something was wrong and I should have banged my tank and gotten his attention and signaled that we abort the dive and go up.

Do not beat yourself over that. It was not your job to watch him, since you had a newbie buddy to watch. This rotten DM did not do his job and it was not your responsibility to do his job for him. You should have no guilt.

PF....don't make me come back there and tell you to read all 700+ posts again!!! :D That has been beaten to death as well as what the diver did wrong. You just have no liked the reception that you are getting. What makes you think this time around will be different?

Hoping you saw the light? Somethig like that.:wink:

You should have no guilt.

Nice sentiment, but I doubt it's that easy.

Hoping you saw the light? Somethig like that.:wink:

Nope...I am still pretty much on your side for most of your arguments. I simply realized a long time ago that this thread was not going to be the medium which brought the two very different sides together. 700 pages from now maybe you will realize that too.

Just remmeber, ignorance is remedial :)

It is also bliss. But do not mistake my realization and acceptance that this thread and your arguments will NOT sway the other side to agree with you for ignorance. Ignorance is the lack of knowledge.....I have the knowledge but also the wisdom to interperet it's meaning properly.

Just remmeber, ignorance is remedial :)

Damn! I always thought that ignorance was bliss!

yes, I agree but that is precisely why brand new divers have to be watched more closely. What this diver did wrong has been beaten to death here so let's now turn that focus, for a while at least, and explore what this sorry mess of a dm should have done,ok?

No, not okay. I believe that a separate thread was created for discussing the role of a DM when this thread was re-opened. That's the place to beat that question further to death. If one were to objectively analyze this accident, the questions are how the diver ended up where he did, why no one noticed when he separated from the group, and why no one reacted more aggressively once they realized he was missing.

In fact, I think it's just the opposite of what you say. The mistakes of the DM have been beaten to death. We know what he did and what we believe he failed to do. What we don't, and may never, know is what the victim did and what specific mistakes were made.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom