Diver Death in Cayman

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thalassamania wrote
As the only one here (I guess) who was at one time employed specifically to investigate diving fatalities I will tell you all that all the "facts" will never be ascertained, we will be left with a "best guess" reconstruction, even if there are videos since we will never know what people intended or thought
"All the facts" !? The only fact that is verifiable is a person died. What exactly is the official cause of death? No one knows yet

What's so hard to distill? You stipulate that the DM knew the victim as a very new diver. Despite this knowledge the DM took him on a wall dive to a planned 100 feet. The DM was unable (for what ever reason) to maintain the level of vigilance necessary to prevent this new diver from becoming separated from the DM and descending to a depth in excess of 300 feet. As a result of that descent the new diver died. What's so hard to understand?
Byteme can not stipulate anything, neither can you, neither can I. There is an eye witness account by someone posting on this board, however, that is not an official SWORN statement. (I'm sure they have something like this in GC), so let's see a copy.

Heck, lets see a copy of the Police report, at least then there might be something to discuss.

Heck, lets see a copy of the Police report, at least then there might be something to discuss.

Hmmm, it would appear that many people here think there's a fair amount to discuss. At least that's what I've taken from the 37-odd pages of responses so far.

As has been mentioned ad nauseum on this forum, the raison d'etre for this thread is not necessarily to find out all the actual facts, but to look at what-if scenarios, conjecture, possibilities, etc. to see whether there are lessons to be learnt. In this thread I think it's fairly clear there are lessons to be learned. Even the actual meaning of the term Dive Master seems unclear - just straightening that out would be a valid reason for this thread.

Of course, this doesn't take away from the losses that have been suffered by the OP etc. but the function of condolences is dealt with on another forum here apparently.

it is my understanding that the Dive Op was issued a summons for not having a person on the boat while they were diving? Does anyone know that for sure? I'm waiting for email confirmation from a friend in Cayman.

Thalassamania wrote
"All the facts" !? The only fact that is verifiable is a person died. What exactly is the official cause of death? No one knows yet

Byteme can not stipulate anything, neither can you, neither can I. There is an eye witness account by someone posting on this board, however, that is not an official SWORN statement. (I'm sure they have something like this in GC), so let's see a copy.

Agreed. But here is the problem, does not matter what we HERE on this board wind up finding out regarding the role of DM and Dive guide, if the Dive ops continue to be vague and misleading about it.:shakehead: They need to have a sign posted outlining what new divers should expect from DG and DM, and what the specific difference is. A newer, learning diver with less than 50 dives might be confused by all this? Clarity would help the newer diver and help prevent any more fatalities.

Hmmm, it would appear that many people here think there's a fair amount to discuss. At least that's what I've taken from the 37-odd pages of responses so far.

As has been mentioned ad nauseum on this forum, the raison d'etre for this thread is not necessarily to find out all the actual facts, but to look at what-if scenarios, conjecture, possibilities, etc. to see whether there are lessons to be learnt. In this thread I think it's fairly clear there are lessons to be learned. Even the actual meaning of the term Dive Master seems unclear - just straightening that out would be a valid reason for this thread.
Of course, this doesn't take away from the losses that have been suffered by the OP etc. but the function of condolences is dealt with on another forum here apparently.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

The vast preponderance of this thread's content is far more appropriate for "Whine & Cheese" than for the A&I forum - and it would take far too much time to clean it up!
Therefore, I have moved it.
If any of you would like to start threads in A&I that have to do with specific mishaps, their analysis and lessons then you're welcome to do so.
However... please read, and comply with, the special rules for the A&I forum if you post there.
Thank you in advance for your cooperation.

Agreed. But here is the problem, does not matter what we HERE on this board wind up finding out regarding the role of DM and Dive guide, if the Dive ops continue to be vague and misleading about it.:shakehead: They need to have a sign posted outlining what new divers should expect from DG and DM, and what the specific difference is. A newer, learning diver with less than 50 dives might be confused by all this? Clarity would help the newer diver and help prevent any more fatalities.

Pilot Fish,

I understand the thrust of what you are trying to say, and I appreciate that you are taking up the cause for the OP in her "absence", however, based on your statement above, consider the following;

The best operators in the world, probably monitor threads like this even though they are probably squeaky clean in these matters. The worst operators in the world, the ones that we increase our personal risk(s) by diving with, probably do not monitor sites like this.

Let us say in this instance, the operator involved in this incident survives the scrutiny of the police and they do change their ways, it does not change the operator two streets/beaches down, or in Egypt or any other popular dive resort/location.

Lets face it the police are on the case of this operator as we speak. If there is any justice in/on Grand Cayman, then we have to assume that this degree of focus, will (for this operator at least) put them out of business or make them re-consider the safety of their operation.

In Reality, nothing that you, me or anyone else on this forum says about this incident will have an effect on the operator or any other operators out there, however, it has a significant effect (if individuals get anything out of this) on the way that each diver (either participating or looking on silently) in this forum will think of their own personal diving operation. This includes taking personal ownership of decisions regarding the way they dive, choose buddy's, respond to "DM's", choose dive operators, advise other "less experienced" divers on the same boat etc....

So, this can/will never be an enquiry, it is and can only be a (sometimes passionate) discussion. However, even though the emotionally charged statements that started this thread were intended to sink the operator, they have actually enabled a valuable & significant amount of discussion (and a whole new thread) that I believe is hugely advantageous for those who are able to descend (safely) below the areas of questionable visibility.

I for one will;

1. Look differently at the dancing DM if I ever come across one,
2. Try in the most diplomatic possible way to dissuade a novice diver from exceeding their limits outside of a training environment.
3. Be very sure that the extent of my Buddy Relationship is very clear before I dive so that the guy standing close by does not assume that he/she is.
4. Ask loud and leading questions of a DM/DG as to the extent of their responsibilities.
5. ..... You get the picture.

In this regard, I applaud the OP for bringing this matter here to the forum.

Lastly; For anyone not directly affected by this incident including, the family and loved ones of the deceased, other guests on the same boat, the crew/DM and other employees of the operator, who cares about who was (or should be) to blame? Surely this should be about us as individuals taking some solace from the fact that it was not us involved but more importantly, what do we do to reduce the risk of us (or people in our care) being the subject matter in this type of discussion in the future.

Best Regards, go and get wet!
Richard

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

The vast preponderance of this thread's content is far more appropriate for "Whine & Cheese" than for the A&I forum - and it would take far too much time to clean it up!
Therefore, I have moved it.
If any of you would like to start threads in A&I that have to do with specific mishaps, their analysis and lessons then you're welcome to do so.
However... please read, and comply with, the special rules for the A&I forum if you post there.
Thank you in advance for your cooperation.

Well, I suppose that means none of the posts have been deleted.....yet. Good call Rick.

...We have that cert, PADI Scuba Diver, (i dont know what ssi or naui have) and it allows the individual to get air, rent equipment, and dive, under a supervised, controlled conditions up to 40'. The original poster clearly stated that the individual was Open Water Certified...

This person had only done his 2 check out dives the day before

Do we actually know that the victim had completed the o/w certification?

Fosterboxermom stated that he had done his 2 check out dives the day before. Does that mean that the victim had ONLY done 2 check-out dives and was actually a PADI SCUBA Diver, who must be supervised, rather than a PADI Open Water SCUBA diver? Or did she mean his LAST two check out dives (out of 4 required) were the day before and he was actually certified?

To be fair to PADI, by stencilling "in anticipation of litigation" on the report, they make it subject to legal professional privilege, which means they do not need to disclose it as part of the discovery process in the event anybody gets sued.

Legally speaking: smart move.

Whether it is good for the diving public at large is a different question.

This is a point that often occurs to me in these forums. People travelling abroad assuming the laws and standards should be the same in foreign countries to their own.

I remember as a young man visiting Hawai'i and being surprised that they cut all the coconuts down from the trees over the beaches. It was explained to me that this was to prevent them falling on people and injuring them and potentially rendering the landowner liable.

I explained that on my island, the English common law was very different. People were expected to take due care themselves not to sit or stand under coconut trees when they were bearing heavy fruit. There is a famous saying in an English case: "the duty to avoid causing harm to others is not that of a nursemaid to an imbecile child." Not politically correct these days, but a succint way of saying people need to take a bit of responsibility. Again, not sure if it has a bearing on the sad tale in this thread, but it often comes to mind when in these forums people shout "Mr X should have kept me safe!".

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom