Diver Death in Cayman

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Web Monkey, yes, you can sign your rights away, which you do when you sign in to Dive Op, but you cannot sign your heir's rights away.

Remember that controlling law for this incident is Cayman Law. I am certainly not qualified to the bar here in Cayman but I would not come to any legal conclusions based upon court decisions elsewhere, including in the UK.

Disclaimer by me, Drew Sailbum: As to the general thread, let me first state my background by way of perspective. I worked as a dive instructor in Cayman for 4 and a half years. I now am a supervisor at 9-1-1 in Cayman, though I was not on duty at the time of the incident. I have regular interaction with the police though I am not an employee of the police.

I do know the police spokeswoman Deborah Denis. I know the 9-1-1 operator who took the initial call for help. I do not know the dive shop employee who is referred to as the DM in this thread. I am not aware of who the investigating officer is but undoubtably know him. Likewise I am not aware of which EMTs and paramedics worked on the patient, but I undoubtably know them. I have not spoken to any of these persons in relation to this case.

Some basic things to set straight:
1) This matter is under investigation by a detective with the Criminal Investigation Department (CID) of the Royal Cayman Islands Police. This does not mean than anyone has been or will be arrested, charged with a criminal offence, or face any sort of criminal trial. It is simply too early in the process.

The Criminal Investigation Department of the police force is called to investigate any death which may have the mere possibility to have some sort of criminal aspect - even if it is almost certainly not a criminal matter. So the mere fact that CID is investigating should not be taken to mean that the police think that charges will, or will not, be brought. They are simply the officers responsible for making the inquiry.

A decision to prosecute the DM, the shop, or anyone else would not come from the police. The police must submit their case and the prosecutor's office makes the decision to prosecute or not.

Often deaths in such circumstances are referred to a Coroner's Inquest. A jury hears evidence and can make a determination as to whether the matter is "death by misadventure" or something else. I would not be surprised if it took two years or more before a Coroner's Inquest takes place, if one happens at all.

2) The boat which discovered the missing diver was a fishing boat which was participating in a tournament. They alerted authorities and attempted to assist. They should be commended for their efforts in a situation which they suddenly and unexpectedly found themselves thrust into.

3) Cayman Law does require that a person remain on the dive boat while divers are in the water. I am no lawyer but as far as I understand there are no qualifications required of the person remaining on board. I have been told by a member of the Marine Conservation Board that the person remaining on board is not required to be capable of operating the vessel, using the safety equipment, or assisting with a rescue. I do not know for certain if this is true.

4) English is the common language of the Cayman Islands. All Caymanians speak it. Expatriates from non-English speaking countries must pass a test prior to taking up employment in Cayman. While there are some small areas where this policy could be abused (a French speaker from Quebec in Canada might not be tested) it is 99.9% safe to assume that the DM spoke English.

5) "DM's" in Cayman are almost always actually qualified to a minimum level of Instructor. That is the industry norm here. I am personally aware of only three persons who were hired for a dive job in Cayman with only a DM certification. They were working towards, and promptly completed, an instructor certification. Such advancement was an explicit expectation of their employment.

6) I have chased a diver to 150+ feet on a single Al72 tank and lived to tell the tale. I have previously recounted the story on this board. It was vigilance with a bit of luck that let me bring her up alive and uninjured. Suffice it to say that she failed to comply with explicit instructions which were a part of the briefed dive plan. There is no way I would have chased her to 300+ feet.

7) Local media is no better than elsewhere in accurately reporting watersports deaths. One local newspaper recently ran a headline with words to the effect "Woman dies snorkeling" when in fact the woman was out of the water and on a boat when she suddenly collapsed. Moreover, the paper was merely quoting the press release from the police and did no investigation of their own. Take home lesson is that not all watersports deaths are actually related to the person being engaged in a watersports activity.

On to pure speculation:
An oft asked question is how the diver managed to surface from 346ft. The obvious answer is that he somehow became positively buoyant. I can think of four ways that could have happened: 1) dropped weights, 2) added air to BC by power inflator or by mouth, 3) breathed the tank down and became positively buoyant without adding air to the BCD, 4) swam up in the water column until expanding air in his BCD carried him to the surface.

Options #1 or #2 required controlled voluntary action on the part of the diver. Option #3 could occur with an unconscious diver so long as his regulator was still in his mouth and he was still breathing. With option #4 some voluntary action is required but he could lose consciousness before surfacing.

Drew Sailbum,

Hi there and thank you for your input, of course any valid information that you can provide will be appreciated.

With your local knowledge is it possible to say if the deceased likely hit a hard bottom at 346' or would that likely have been over the blue? I am not sure if I am being clear, is the wall vertical after a certain depth or does it slope all the way down?

Thanks in advance
Best Regards

Richard

One other thing, If any members of this board are based in the UK and would like verification of the level of Instruction PADI Open Water Students recieve during their referal portion of the Open Water course, I have 9 students this weekend for pool and classwork and I am more than happy for you (within limits of numbers) to come along and sit in on the class and pool work. THis weekend I will be based in West London.

Drew Sailbum,
is it possible to say if the deceased likely hit a hard bottom at 346' or would that likely have been over the blue? I am not sure if I am being clear, is the wall vertical after a certain depth or does it slope all the way down?

Thanks in advance
Best Regards

Richard

On every part of the island I have dived on once you are at about 200 feet it drops off pretty much vertically into the abyss. In some areas (East End,North Wall) the vertical drop starts at around 60 feet. On the Northwest Point it slopes down from 60 to 200 then goes vertical.

By the time you got to 300+ it would be shear luck if you happened to stop on a projection or not.

I know that PADI has lead the charge in shortening SCUBA classes in any way possible. I know that this thread is about a dead guy who is a victim of dumbed-down accelerated certifications and an intentionally misleading marketing campaign. Terry

Amen to that. Its slightly disgusting that an agency has led a rush that leaves 'certified' divers relying on luck. Leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Competent: The diver now has a good working, as well as some background, knowledge of diving and as a result can deal with knowledge in context. Recognition of relevance is now present. Actions are seen, at least partly, in terms of longer-term goals. The diver is able to cope with simple multiple, simultaneous, competing inputs. The diver actions are (at least partially) performed in terms of longer-term goals. The diver performs best with standardized and routine procedures, but is able to achieve most tasks using own judgment and can engage in conscious and deliberate planning. Skills are fit for the purpose intended, though may lack refinement.

Proficient: The diver posses a depth of understanding of the disciplines that make up diving as well and those specific to diving so that the diver can make a holistic assessment in context rather than just an analytic one. The diver can deal with complex situations holistically, and decision-making is more confident. The diver routinely performs to a fully acceptable standard, and sees what is most important in a situation. Deviations from a normal pattern are quickly perceived. Decision-making is less labored. Maxims are used for guidance, but there is understanding that conclusions will (and should) vary according to the situation. The diver sees the overall 'picture' and how individual actions fit within it. The diver is able to take full responsibility for own work (and that of others where applicable).

Those are the the skill level descriptions. As to how we decide if the description is met: turn each sentence into a question and ask each staff members who has worked with the diver to rate them on a 1 to 5 scale. Students are also rated 1 to 5 on each specific activity during each of 24 pool sessions and 16 open water dives.

For example:

1. Does the student posses a good working and background, knowledge of diving?
  2. Can the student deal with divin knowledge in context?
  3. Is there recognition of relevance?
  4. Are actions seen in terms of longer-term goals.
  5. Is the student able to cope with simple multiple, simultaneous, competing inputs?
  6. Are the student's actions performed in terms of longer-term goals.
  7. Can the student perform well with standardized and routine procedures?
  8. Can the student achieve most tasks using his or her own judgment?
  9. Can the student engage in conscious and deliberate planning?
  10. Are the student's skills fit for the purpose intended?

Is this your wifes depiction and definition?
I've not seen it as as a definitive and have a feeling you this is a family issue .. Mmm

JClynes , if you're up for a dive I'm around
As I said earlier I have an OW referall this weekend for 9 that'll be in Gunnersbury
THen next weekend is a dry and pool, EFR amd Rescue
the following week is a one to one private course S & R and Nav
then the following week is a Rescue course ..Big one Details to be kept hush hush for now.
Let me know if you fancy being around for any of them

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom