Diver Death in Cayman

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
She's fairly clearly stating that she's unhappy with what PADI has become, not with the training she received 20 years ago.

actually the following quote was given by the OP long before she gave the certifying era "You are just trying to defend an organization that pumps out students without the proper training. Put them on conveyor belts. Give them a computer and do it online. That will teach them Hey, I'll bet next PADI will have CD's you can listen to while you sleep and you will be certified in a couple of nights."

So not actually "fairly clearly" as it was after the fact

but hey hell

I feel that I was pumped out and that my initial instruction was inadequate to produce a competent, independent diver.

I'm more that willing to post my cert number assuming I can find the card. But what's the point?

The Point is you come forward and make a difference.
you help make the certifying agency see where there are weakneses in it's training and they are told so they change.

If no one tells you that you are doing something wrong how do you know and how do you change?

Easy as it is to, let's try not to play pile on Gary with respect to what we may or may not believe are PADI's inadequacies. That is not the point of this thread, and there are plenty of other PADI sucks threads (if you feel so inclined).

If we are to dwell for a while on the inadequacies of training might I suggest that we focus on two issues:

1. Divers not being trained (appropriately or inappropriately) to "take complete responsibility) for themselves, and/or
  2. Diving leaders not being properly prepared to be able to effectively lead groups and have them all come back alive.
Might I submit that these are industry problems and not just a problem with PADI (who gets most of the blame because of their dominant position).

I am a NAUI guy so I hope this does not come across as PADI bashing.
I think the real problem is that many dive shops/instructors use the revolving door teaching method. Get um in.... Get um out... NEXT!
PADI has done a great job of marketing over the years. So most of your dive shops are PADI. Where I am at there is one shop that does NAUI, one that does NAUI/PADI, all the rest are PADI. I can honestly say all the bad shops around here are PADI shops.... But thats because 99.9% of them are PADI.
PADI is not a bad program.....
I know they have some 'fast' programs. Thats OK for some people, but it is up to the instructor to make sure that the type of the class is right for each student..... One size fits all is not the answer.
PADI has a lot of bad instructors, DMs, etc.... But so does everyone else.

I've posted about the Autopsy but noone is interested in that so far

I must have missed this information, has it been posted?

I know that some people cant pick up on a single aspect of it but I can tell you when it comes to looking at the victims knowledge reviews and his final exam he got the question right that asked him the depth for his experience.

So when he says he is going to go deeper because of the experience and at 58, I'd like to know why?

You've seen his classroom work and exams?

You don't think I have those names and numbers. I have them on speed dial my friend. You are just trying to defend an organization that pumps out students without the proper training. Put them on conveyor belts. Give them a computer and do it online. That will teach them Hey, I'll bet next PADI will have CD's you can listen to while you sleep and you will be certified in a couple of nights.

Damn! I wish I'd thought about selling them that idea! :doh2:

Varied complaints with PADI and its practices are quite prevalent on this board as well as others. I've participated in some of the discussions.

My suspicion (admittedly unfounded) is that if I approached PADI with a complaint, they'd look me up, see that I took only one class -one that in current form is in my opinion designed not to produce independent divers but rather to produce divers who need to take more (PADI) courses for a complete education - and suggest I enroll in Advanced Open Water at my local 5-star PADI resort or shop (just like most every page in their BOW text book does).

Actually, it's a valid point but I can tell you this PADI are so behind people coming forwards it's the PADI Professionals that are worried. You can talk directly to someone or send in an email. it becomes anonymous and they follow up on every single query/ complaint. It's one of the things that PADI do well and thoroughly.

Yes PADI Instructors are taught to mention other PADI Courses or Dive Gear, but that's because Divers with their own gear or with other courses booked are more likely to stay active divers and so aid the industry.. keep those dive shops open, those liveaboards running etc

I must have missed this information, has it been posted?

You've seen his classroom work and exams?

He claims a lot of things. He also claims he is in the UK, but it seems to some of us he has to be in the Caymans. He said he has access to my file which has my c-card number in it so that leads me to believe this guy is working for the dive shop. Just speculation of course.

He claims a lot of things. He also claims he is in the UK, but it seems to some of us he has to be in the Caymans. He said he has access to my file which has my c-card number in it so that leads me to believe this guy is working for the dive shop. Just speculation of course.

where do I claim this?
I am in the UK as per the response to your Private messages to me

and exactly where did it turn to being about me? I am flattered of course.
If you aren't happy with my views don't respond.
Don't PM me fosterboxermom telling me I am harrassing you it's a childish attempt to stop independant thought that I am pretty sure is what this board is all about so professionals like myself can work out what the industry is missing and how we can address it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom