Diver death at Haigh Quarry (IL.) today...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

elmersdiver:
I am Scubatime's buddy and was also the one administering rescue breaths to the diver. I am interested in any information i can get so i can send flowers to the wake. This incident has really opened my eyes to the importance of why we teach new divers how critical it is to follow paramount rules. I soon realized after the incident every single person that did what they could to assist in the rescue was the absolute right thing and that we should not walk around with a feeling of regret that we did something wrong, or we could have done more. God bless the family and friends of the diver!!! Safe diving to all present and future divers..

your friend,
elmersdiver

Ditto what jcsgt said. Most of us aren't professional rescuers and have what amounts to little training and ZERO actual experience. But, we get the training and step forward and try to help when the need arises and hope we give the victem a better chance than he would have had without us.

When are people going to get it? Ascents and descents are two times in a dive when problems most frequently happen. Rarely does anything ever go wrong while you're swimming in circles along the bottom. If you are going to buddy dive you had better be an especially alert buddy during the descent and ascent.

Scubatime:
I did review my rescue and EFR books and discovered that my instincts were right, I should have begun CPR immediately and continued it until EMTs arrived.
Scubatime, please do not take this a criticism but I do want to point out a few things to those reading this in case they ever find themselves in a similar situation.

If you think someone needs CPR give it to them. You can't really do any harm by administering rescue breaths if they're not needed. If you do chest compressions there is realistic chance that you'll crack the patient's ribs or cartilage. However, the damage done by that is significantly less than dying.

If you think someone needs CPR, give it to them. If someone tells you not to do it anyway (unless they provide a valid advance medical directive like a DNR order or they have a higher level of medical training than you, EMT, paramedic, etc).

Lastly, everyone raise you hand if you're CPR certified... Those of you who didn't raise your hand go sign up for a CPR class... those of you that did, go sign up for a refresher course. :wink:

I've thought about how that conflict might have felt for these two good fellows. A couple of divers, minding their own business, when suddenly someone needs critical and instant help - help that they've been trained and certified to give, that they paid money to learn, and and onlookers start critiquing their efforts! That has got to be uncomfortable.

But damn, I bet that happens a lot. My Rescue trainer taught that you try to check for a pulse, and if you're not sure you got one - do the Cpr until professionals arrive and take over or until you give out. He didn't warn about kibitzers. Got to keep that in mind.

As suggested in a previous post, the diver was essentially dead but with a small chance of being revived. You fellows were his best friends at the moment, hoping for a miracle, and should feel very proud of yourselves for your heroic efforts. I'm sure the lost diver's family is grateful for your attempt.

DandyDon:
But damn, I bet that happens a lot. My Rescue trainer taught that you try to check for a pulse, and if you're not sure you got one - do the Cpr until professionals arrive and take over or until you give out. He didn't warn about kibitzers. Got to keep that in mind.
Pulse is the last thing you check.

ABC... air way... breathing... circulation...

If you don't have an open airway you you don't worry about rescue breaths.

If you aren't adequately ventilating the patient (ie breathing) don't worry about checking for a pulse.

Only check for a pluse after you've established an airway and breathing.

Colonial-Wojciechowski Funeral Homes Ltd
8025 West Golf Road
Niles
Illinois 60714
Phone: (847) 581-0536

Wake is today
2pm-9pm

I think you have the right attitude about what happened and what you did. I wasn't sure of your mindset when I saw you, but if you already haven't take a look at one of the last pages in your rescue diver book if you are certified with PADI....there is an article on there about if you actually are part of a rescue and the result is not favorable.

The divers who got him out of the water, ScubaTime , as well as yourself are all excellent people. You reached out and helped another human being. I know there were others assisting as well......just know that even if the Paramedics were waiting at shore when he was brought in the chances of him being here today are still very very slim. He was in very bad shape while still in the water.

If you see us at Haigh again stop by and say hi..we'll be there this Sat afternoon and Sunday.

My prayers go out to everyone who saw or were involved and family and friends

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom