Diver death at Haigh Quarry (IL.) today...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sorry to be going off topic...but
do it easy:
If it's the one I'm thinking of, it's in Elgin, Illinois. I think that it used to be a swimming club and you have to either live next to it or know someone to get it.

The fire department uses it for training- I was the rescue victim- once. That was one of the rare times that I actually took my gear home and rinsed it with soap and a hose. The water is icky icky nasty.

Is this quarry on La Fox (Rt 31 / State St.) in S. Elgin, IL?
I am 10 min. from there, just how icky is icky? Like the Des Plaines River? (shudder)
I'd love to be able to dive so close to home...but I'm not looking for a bio-hazard/sewage dive either.

Kat:

I am 10 min. from there, just how icky is icky? Like the Des Plaines River? (shudder)
I'd love to be able to dive so close to home...but I'm not looking for a bio-hazard/sewage dive either.

Kat, I'm sure there has to be a cert in bio-hazard/sewage diving. Might be another feather in your cap! :D

jepuskar:
no Polly, I will disagree with that out of principle of being difficult. :)

Hmm.... thanks for the clarification- wasn't sure if you were being difficult or just stupid :D

Ues, Tony, Elgin Quarry is private and nasty although it is nastier when frozen over as it was when I did ice dives with the fire departments.

Quarries are not deper or darker than Lake Michigan, Lake Geneva or Pearl Lake (which was a quarry but does not dive like one.)

Kat:

Yup that's the one- just North of the fire department. Yeah, it's nasty and I wouldn't recommend diving in there.

Preyers go out from my family to not only the lost divers family but to you guys that did what you could.
All of us,because of what we do and where we do it, need to be prepared for all things including death.

as a "Quarry Commando" myself, I take a bit of umbrage at the $$$ statement - we dive when we can; being underwater is our passion and for those of us with kids in college, we cannot afford a trip to Florida or the Caribbean every weekend, or at all - nor even a boat out of Burnham Harbor on a regular basis

Additionally, many quarries are shallow and have no thermocline in the summer - France Park, Natural Springs Resort, Hidden Paradise etc are only 20-27' deep - still allowing an underwater experience and in July, Aug and Sept can be enjoyed with a 3mm suit or less

Problems occur when people dive beyond their skills, with or without an instructor with them. Gilboa has lost a diver on the DUI days; Haigh has had this person die under instruction. In New York they have lost people on wrecks that are experienced divers that were setting the hook for the boat captain - in the bit of reading I have done, it appears that something affects the heart in cold water, and that may precipitate a heart attack at worst, and panic as well - we all need to do some "Spring Training" before our first dive of the year

a last point, don't the coroners always list what actually caused the death? A heart attack may cause unconsciousness tat leads to drowning, which means cause of death is drowning?

I also do most of my diving in quarries, and the cold and vis can be difficult, but you usually don't get large waves and strong currents. All diving can be dangerous. As a Advanced and Basic Life support instructor for years (ICU nurse) I teach to do CPR if you think its needed. As was said in a earlier post, worst case scenario is broken ribs for the victim, much better than the alternative of not doing CPR. Also, it is very possible to die from drowning and have been talking on the surface. The water causes damage to the lungs that may take a period of time to cause the victim to die. As TheHobster said, other things may have "contributed" to the drowning.

Has there been any new info on initial cause of incident: health-equipment failure?? I am a relatively new diver that mostly dives at Haigh, and the only reason I read this forum is to be exposed to these incidents and try and learn from them. If it was health, that is one thing; but if something else, we should try to learn from it.

I respect the rescurers for all they did.

My condolences to the family.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom