Diver death at Haigh Quarry (IL.) today...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

O'Malley:
My heart goes out to his family. My buddy and I had just returned from getting a bite to eat when the rescue concluded. The pre-dive planning for our second dive had never been as thorough... a sad day, indeed.

Steve, do you know any further details?

I like to offer some sympathy first for the family and thsoe that witnessed this event. Then I like to ask what is the LARC, not being from that area it sounds like he surfaced from 33 feet.

My sympathy to the diver and his family, as well as all of those who witnessed the event and Tina.
These are terrible things to witness, but remind us to not be complacent in our diving even at the local quarries where me might have hundreds of dives. Incidents such as this are also an example of why rescue training is so important.
I was at Gilboa a couple of years ago when a diver died, and to this day I think about it every time I go diving. For those of you who witnessed this, I encourage you to talk about what you witnessed.

Dean810:
I've gotten to know quite a few of the Haigh divers. Does anyone have a name?
I appreciate your concern, but names are not allowed in this forum, as addressed in the Sticky at the top of the forum. I think this decision was made in consideration of the family and friends of injured divers.
Special rules - Please Read

--------------------------------------------------------

The purpose of this forum is the promotion of safe diving through accident analysis.
Accurate analysis of accidents and incidents that could easily have become accidents is essential to building lessons learned from which improved safety can flow. To foster the free exchange of information valuable to this process, the "manners" in this forum are much more tightly controlled than elsewhere on the board. In addition to the TOS:

(1) Events will be "scrubbed" of names. You may refer to articles or news releases already in the public domain, but the only name you may use in this forum is your own.
(2) No "blamestorming." Accident analysis does not "find fault" - it finds hazards - and how to reduce or eliminate them.
(3) No flaming, name calling or otherwise attacking other posters. You may attack ideas; you may not attack people.
(4) No trolling.
(5) Remember that you cannot read minds. Restrict comments to what happened and how to prevent it, without speculating on what someone else was thinking (or not). The only thoughts you are qualified to share are your own.

It is important for us as a community to assess and discuss diving accidents and incidents as a means of preventing them. However, once emotions are involved intelligent discussion becomes next to impossible. If the moderators feel that the discussion is getting out of hand in any thread they may close or remove the thread, with or without notice.

This just shows to us that we are in a hostile environment, doing physical activity. We need to be in shape, be prepared for any emergencies, dive with our buddies, and not take chances we shouldn't. It doesn't matter whether the accident is dive related, or other activity, we need to be prepared for emergencies.

We always look for the lesson to be learned from a tragedy; sometimes it causes us to look at our situation with a closer inspection of our health, our procedures, our equipment, etc. That can't be all bad.

Also, assure that your family will continue it's lifestyle in your absence by purchasing adequate life insurance. Money won't take your place, but you owe it to the family to assure their futures.

for those of us in the Midwest, Haigh and Mermet are the two most customer friendly dive locations available to us. Tina runs a great operation and understands how to make us feel welcome.

I lost my sister last year to complications from a kidney transplant. We knew it could happen and it was still a shock. A sudden loss like this at best can be very difficult. My condolences and prayers to the family, witnesses and rescuers.

oops, I'm dum

If anyone has links or knows who please PM me,

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom