Diven, Doven... and all that rot.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

simbrooks:
So is the incredibly weak form of the suffix -ized? Although that can't be used with dive (it would be divized, just doesnt sound right), but that little suffix is added onto most other verbs in the common American English. :wink:

No need to argue with me, you're making an argument with the dictionary that I cut and pasted from. Argue away! :eyebrow:

RonDawg:
Actually they spell like the Brits (humour, colour, centre) and call it "zed" instead of "zee" but they sound kinda like people from Minnesota :wink:
My new last name has a "Z" in it. I have to spell it out and say "Z as in Zebra" every time, or someone will spell it with a "D" or a "E". Sigh. I spelled it "Zed" yesterday over the phone, and the person was very confused. :06:
I should have heeded my husband's warning to not change my name when we got married.

dbulmer:
Ah, no. The Brits, Kiwis, Canadians, Aussies, South Africans have a similar language only the Yanks ****** it up.

Actually, our very British form of the language started to evolve on its own after we threw you Brits out and told you to stop interfering in our affairs!

We had to do that again recently when the Guardian (aka "Grundian") newspaper tried to interfere in our election. By the way, George Bush would like to thank you for that "intervention" since it created a lot of irritation that worked in his favour!!

:monkeydan

Post Scriptus---We do like our "cousins" a lot, generally speaking!!! :D

SueMermaid:
My new last name has a "Z" in it. I have to spell it out and say "Z as in Zebra" every time, or someone will spell it with a "D" or a "E". Sigh. I spelled it "Zed" yesterday over the phone, and the person was very confused. :06:
I should have heeded my husband's warning to not change my name when we got married.

Sue,

Don't feel badly about the confusion. Some of the people you will speak to on the phone have trouble with our own version of the language, much less with British or other forms!!! :bawling:

Just for BigJetDriver,

Since you were British until Independence - that constituted an act of terrorism. :)
Irony in action!

Ah Bush - the US ended up with the president it deserves! And BTW most Brits like Yanks but hate Bush - a sizeable proportion of the US electorate hates Bush as well.

And last, but not least for eveyone else, I meant to add a smiley but forgot - but BigJetDriver, if you seriously got the hump, it was probably worth it !

BigJetDriver,
Smile and be happy - I'm just playing! :)

dbulmer:
Just for BigJetDriver,

Since you were British until Independence - that constituted an act of terrorism. :)

Ah, Bush - the US ended up with the president it deserves! And BTW most Brits like Yanks but hate Bush - a sizeable proportion of the US electorate hates Bush as well.

And last, but not least for eveyone else, I meant to add a smiley but forgot - but BigJetDriver, if you seriously got the hump, it was probably worth it !

I say, old chap!

We were British, mostly, until poor old mad King Georgie got carried away. "No taxation without representation!" You might remember that one. Talk about the shot heard around the world!

As for George Bush, we did, in fact, get the President we deserved, and needed, and wanted. To your citizens who don't like George: "We, the citizens of America, don't give a rat's rump! Get over it! He is the President of the most powerful nation in the world, bar none, for four more years. What ever else you may think about it, you will have to just live with it."

As for our citizens, a majority means exactly that, in both the popular vote, and in the electoral vote. Our citizens have spoken. By a very solid popular majority, (and a majority of our States, and Electoral college---take your pick,) they chose George Bush to continue to lead this nation.

No, I did not "seriously get the hump", as you put it. In fact, since my father was a Scot, and you are a bluidy Sassenach, I was just takin' the mickey out 'a you! (Looks as if it worked, too!!!) :1poke:

P.P.S.---We really do still like our "cousins" a lot! :bang:

And then along came the Irish :D

We confused everybody by calling potatoes "spuds"...

But everyone loves the irish, except some of the english...:fruit:

Your father was a Scot - poor lad ! Look laddy I'm half Irish - I am used to being mocked :) And in any case you haven't seen me in the water - now that'd get you really laughing!

The Brits left the colony- get over the fact they thought it wasn't worth keeping .. unlike Canada,India in fact great tracts of the world... !! (at this point even I hate me :) )

As for Dubya - well, I'm being serious now - that is a matter for the American electorate - the rest of the world does fear the consequences of his policies - Time will tell if Bush got it right.

Okay folks, lets keep it cool on the political stuff now.

Last time i checked this thread was about diven & doven, not Dubya or the American revolutionary war. Plenty of other boards out there that discuss those things i'm sure.

Back
Top Bottom