Diven, Doven... and all that rot.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Zoe83:
BigJetDriver...I have no idea what that 'joke' was then! lol

That's part of the great fun of speaking a language that sounds so similar, and then finding your self thinking: "What in the heck are these people talking about?"

Welcome to this crazy country! I look forward to meeting you and your hubby on a dive boat somewhere along the way!

Cheers! :crafty:

BJD,
Sorry for not answering earlier - yes I'm looking forward to Stoney but right now diving is far from my mind - my mother-in-law died on Saturday night and I've had other things on my mind as I'm sure you'll appreciate.

Scubaguy62:
Actually, the Canadians' english is quite similar to the "Yanks." As far as the rest, what else can you expect from people who drive on the wrong side of the road? :D

The Brits drive on the wrong? side because they have a history. In days of old when knights were bold they rode there horses on the left hand side of the road so that the sword hand (usually the right hand) was in the center of the road and the sword would not get caught up in the trees when the fought someone coming from the opposite direction.
This of course was before there was a USA or roads on that Continent.

baltimoron:
hmmm... when speaking in spanish, does one use buceé or buceaba to describe a dive... does one use another verb?
Yep, someone more fluent may correct me, but bucear is the verb that I see most.

freediver:
Usage Note: Either dove or dived is acceptable as the past tense of dive. Usage preferences show regional distribution, although both forms are heard throughout the United States. According to the Dictionary of American Regional English, in the North, dove is more prevalent; in the South Midland, dived. Dived is actually the earlier form, and the emergence of dove may appear anomalous in light of the general tendencies of change in English verb forms. Old English had two classes of verbs: strong verbs, whose past tense was indicated by a change in their vowel (a process that survives in such present-day English verbs as drive/drove or fling/flung); and weak verbs, whose past was formed with a suffix related to -ed in Modern English (as in present-day English live/lived and move/moved). Since the Old English period, many verbs have changed from the strong pattern to the weak one; for example, the past tense of step, formerly stop, became stepped. Over the years, in fact, the weak pattern has become so prevalent that we use the term regular to refer to verbs that form their past tense by suffixation of -ed. However, there have occasionally been changes in the other direction: the past tense of wear, now wore, was once werede, and that of spit, now spat, was once spitede. The development of dove is an additional example of the small group of verbs that have swum against the historical tide.

Now somebody tell me what THEY know! :eyebrow:

Now I understand why I got a C in English.

freediver:
Ya know JDog, if you would have eaten your green peas as a youngster you just might have pulled off a B+ :wink:

Peas are yummy it's the spinach, brussle sprouts, and cauliflower I couldn't stand.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom